Author Topic: biggest celebrity you've met  (Read 28919 times)

Re: biggest celebrity you've met
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2008, 01:10:56 AM »

Offline dooyork

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 42
"Biggest" = Shaquille O'Neal
My Dad had an office in Church Street Station when he was drafted by the Magic and I would go in on weekends to regularly see him at the Sharper Image (back then that store was still the shyt and rare).  Easily the biggest because as a 12 year old, he was ENORMOUS!

Most Important (Biggest) = ARNOLD "RED" AUERBACH
Around the same time as above, my Dad got us tickets to the Orlando All Star Game.  We were seated only a few rows behind Red and when it was the end of the 3rd, he got up to leave as we were heading back from the snackstand.  I couldn't help it and introduced myself while my Dad thanked him for the many hoops camps he went to as a kid.  This was almost 15 years before he died and I tell ya, he looked so sick at the time that I almost cried (I was a kid and he was GOD to me).  Got the full experience though - he had a seriously chewed up stogie hanging from the center of his mouth.

I can't believe I forgot to mention this.  In '92 or whenever it was that Shaw was about to get traded, I dialed some phone number at the Celtics organization and asked for Red Auerbach.  The secretary took my name and number.  About 15 or 20 minutes later, my phone rang, and it was Red Auerbach.  He said "is this XXXX?" and I said yes, and he said, "what are you calling me for?"  I said, "I'm just a fan and a stock holder, and I just want to urge you not to trade Brian Shaw."  He sounded annoyed but like he was holding it in, and he said "Well, we try to do the best we can with the team," and that was it.  I was young at the time, but definitely old enough to know better than to do things like that.  It's not quite a prank phone call, because I was serious, I liked Shaw and thought he was a versatile guard who could play the 1 or 2 which I still think is a great piece to have.  But that's it.  Kind of embarrassing to admit this story, but hopefully yall appreciate it. 

In my defense, Shaw went on to be a very good 3 point shooter (had the record for most 3s in a game at one point, I believe) and contributor on a few championship teams, and we got Sherman Douglas for him.
Double rainbow all the way

« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2008, 01:27:26 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
great commment d
shaw was indeed a great 3 point man
red was god
i like the commend and thanks

for me it is 2 presidensts el salvador
and one vice president spain
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 01:33:27 AM by Edgar »
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2008, 01:32:20 AM »

Offline dorschrm

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 12
I saw Pierce in the Philly airport in passing a week or so ago (he was trying oh so hard to stay unnoticed, can't fool me Paul), I guess he was coming back from his camp in Europe..

Shook his hand, said "Thank you for the best experience of my life" and walked away.

« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2008, 01:41:58 AM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 45
The singer from Aerosmith walked right by me when I was working opening day at Fenway.

I realized later that if I had followed my instincts and thrown my soda all over him, I would have the single greatest "I got fired" story of all time.

I'm realizing now that I haven't met enough famous people. I met Erin Andrews at Fenway a few weeks ago, she's kind of unattractive in person.

I met Vince McMahon back in the day. As well as Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart. And the Bushwhackers.

« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2008, 02:02:06 AM »

Offline myfavoritecolorgreen

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 6
i saw steve kerr at a high school basketball game and waved to him and he waved back =)

« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2008, 02:52:44 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
alright someone said that celtics don't count so I won't mention that I met almost the entire team earlier this year and that BIG BABY is the coolest one out of the bunch, but seriously-
Kevin Nealon is the MAN!!!

NBA-

Kevin Mchale
Robert Parish
Clifford Ray
Patrick Ewing
Chris Ford
Mike Dunleavy Sr.
Almost the entire 2007-08 Championship team via the "Celtics Winter Shoot around" (KG is the biggest $%## talker I've ever met in my life BTW)

My father went to school at UMASS in the early seventies and had a couple classes with Doctor J, but I guess that's more of a family legend.

As for Kevin Nealon-

Met him at Burger King in London (of all places) and he was super nice and cool.  And exactly like what you've seen on TV.

I think he said.."Revere"? "I got a sister in Revere". 

He ruled, but not as much as Doc Rivers.   ;)

Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2008, 03:44:30 AM »

Offline MaxwellSmart

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
Some really Famous,some not so....Not in any particular order but here goes:

Gwen Stefani...3 times
Pete Best (original Beatles drummer)
Randy "Big Unit" Johnson (went CD shopping with him)
All 4 members of The Smiths
Chis Isaak
Magic Johnson
Sat next to Jerry West and had a conversation with him during a Summer League Game
British actress Sadie Frost
Ritchie Sambora
Played pictionary with Terri Nunn from the group Berlin(same team-we won)
Robert Smith from the Cure
Brian Wilson
Phil Spector
former Elastica singer Justine Frischmann
David Spade
Reese Witherspoon
Mark Fidrych
Nolan Ryan
Brooks Robinson/Jim Palmer
Carl Yastrzemski/Carlton Fisk
Alyssa Milano
Tracy Morgan Last Night @ Amoeba Records in Hollywood--we talked about Basketball..He's a Knicks fan-and hates Stephon Marbury(says he only cares about his shoe contract)

Celtics:Doc Rivers,Danny Ainge,Bob Cousy,ML Carr,Darren Daye,Stojko Vrankovic,Rick Fox.

I'm sure I've left out a few names.

« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2008, 08:33:43 AM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Jimmy Greaves and Gary Lineker (retired english soccer players) at a charity cricket match.  I also ran into Jason Kidd a couple months back at the airport in Frankfurt but didn't say anything, just kept going about my business. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 08:43:04 AM by Scott »

« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2008, 09:12:23 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
The singer from Aerosmith walked right by me when I was working opening day at Fenway.

My dad was totally a roadie for Aerosmith when he was in college.  Tells stories of getting high with Steven Tyler and Joe Perry.

I don't know the full story, but my grandmother knew both of the Kennedy boys while she was in high school and went to a formal dance with Bobby.

Personally, outside of meeting a good amount of bands at concerts and wrestlers at airports, I used to teach english to popular actress Kim Hyojin.  I know it's not a big deal on here, but it's a medium level deal to my friends. 

I thought it was really interesting because at my institute there were some American coworkers who were visibly rattled by studying with her.  And it wasn't American men who knew anything about Korean pop culture, it was men three weeks off the plane.  It's just so strange how some people react to celebrities, even celebrities who they don't even know.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2008, 09:26:28 AM »

Offline Markeras

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11
Vin Baker :) In 1998 in a mall outside New Haven (CT) - I was over there for a language course - I walked up to him and we had the following exchange:

Me: Hello, you are Vin baker, right?
Vin: Yeah
Me: Would you please give an autograph?
Vin: Sure. Where are you from?
Me: Madrid
Vin: ... looking at me ... concentrating ... oh, cool.
Me: Thank you

I think he did not know where Madrid was but anyway he was cool and friendly. It made my day! A pitty he ended up that bad...

« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2008, 10:44:17 AM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 45
Vin Baker :) In 1998 in a mall outside New Haven (CT) - I was over there for a language course - I walked up to him and we had the following exchange:

I think he did not know where Madrid was but anyway he was cool and friendly. It made my day! A pitty he ended up that bad...

You should have bought him a drink

« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2008, 10:47:09 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159

My dad was totally a roadie for Aerosmith when he was in college.  Tells stories of getting high with Steven Tyler and Joe Perry.

I don't know the full story, but my grandmother knew both of the Kennedy boys while she was in high school and went to a formal dance with Bobby.

Personally, outside of meeting a good amount of bands at concerts and wrestlers at airports, I used to teach english to popular actress Kim Hyojin.  I know it's not a big deal on here, but it's a medium level deal to my friends. 

I thought it was really interesting because at my institute there were some American coworkers who were visibly rattled by studying with her.  And it wasn't American men who knew anything about Korean pop culture, it was men three weeks off the plane.  It's just so strange how some people react to celebrities, even celebrities who they don't even know.

My uncle Leon was too! that's funny man. They probably partied together.

« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2008, 11:38:41 AM »

Offline Cassidy122690

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18
I've been working out here in LA since the early 90's and have met pretty much everyone.

My favorite time: Working in Mexico on Clear and Present Danger, we were in the middle of nowhere. Each night we would go to a bar and drink, nothing else to do. One night, over the course of an hour, I was approached by a local girl asking "marry me green card?" Over the next hour, I was approached by 7 more girls, asking the same question. Everyone at my table was razzing me hard and I started to get upset. I had no idea what the heck was going on. After the next girl approached me, I heard a table break out laughing. I looked over and Willem Dafoe raised a glass and toasted me, saying I was a good sport. He then picked up my tab for the night. In retrospect, pretty funny.

I've worked on over 40 films and Dafoe is the nicest guy I've met.

Did you work on the movie on all locations or just Mexico?  I ask because my brother-in-law was in that movie, but I don't think he was in any of the South or Central American scenes.  I wonder if you met him:  his name is Henry and he played Ritter.
Out of Ireland have we come, great hatred, little room, maimed us at the start. I carry from my mother's womb a fanatic heart.  W.B. Yeats

« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2008, 11:46:39 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney

My uncle Leon was too! that's funny man. They probably partied together.

I'd ask my dad if he remembered anyone from those days, but from the nature of the stories, I can go ahead and safely guess that that'd be a negative.

« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2008, 11:48:10 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney

You should have bought him a drink

That's what Vin Baker thinks about anyone he meets.