Author Topic: Patriots 2020 Season  (Read 76828 times)

Re: Patriots 2020 Season
« Reply #255 on: October 25, 2020, 08:51:53 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
So in my entire life, I'll admit, I don't think I've felt that bad and disappointed after a Pats game. Like they've had bad losses over the years, including that 2014 beatdown at Arrowhead (leading to "On to Cincinatti") and the 2009 Wild Card game. But at least those games you still felt they could bounceback, had the talent and that the other team just looked better that game. It wasn't like you questioned their characters or effort-levels.

But this one? SF played fantastic but our team looked like they didn't want to be there. Terrible effort on both sides, and even Belichick looks like he's checked out over the last few weeks. Edelman isn't 100% and he's also mentally checked out. Just bad stuff all around. Really not many bright spots at the moment.

Good news is, they do have cash to spend in FA and maybe this is a "bridge year", though the QB picture going forward is still murky and will be the biggest question mark.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #256 on: October 25, 2020, 08:54:31 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Time to tank for Lawrence? Let the Jets beat us twice, that should do the trick.

« Reply #257 on: October 25, 2020, 09:16:57 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Patriots got beat at the point of contact on both sides of the ball all game long. Simply put, they were slapped silly. The yards after contact stats have to have been dominated by the Niners.

The Patriots overall lack of talent due to bad drafts over the last 6-8 years has been exposed. Luckily they will have gobs of cash to spend in free agency next year.
If anyone wants a real scare for Halloween, look at Bill's record in drafting WRs and TEs post-Gronk. It's ghastly to say the least.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #258 on: October 25, 2020, 09:27:14 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
This team is terrible. Truly. Cam is a shell of his former self, the receivers are mediocre on a good day, the running game is barely there, and the defense has really fallen off. At this rate, they finish below .500 and miss the playoffs.

Edit: And yes, as others have said, Bill's horrible drafting when it comes to receivers and tight ends is really manifesting itself now.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #259 on: October 25, 2020, 09:37:17 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
I think everyone, including Belichick, has pretty much given up. Or they don't care at all.

I get that the talent on this team is thin with the COVID opt-outs + injuries, but they could still be playing a lot better than they are. But the body language from Belichick over the last few weeks also seems to show even he doesn't really care, or he's just not motivated enough to try and spark something. Almost like he's accepted it especially with this mediocre offense.

Cam's also lost his "swagger". The Cam we saw making good plays and then celebrating after the play like he did, he isn't doing any of that anymore. Lot of bad throws, bad decisions, and the mechanics look way off.

Yikes

Probably time to think about firing Belichick also. Start fresh

Debate is over... the success was more due to TB12 than Belichick

I know we're all taking the loss hard, but this might be a bit of an overreaction - we're firing Bill on the basis of 3 bad games where we have 8 opt outs due to Covid, a new but often injured QB who doesn't look fully fit and doesn't understand the system, and no receivers to throw to?

I do think that Bill needs to stick to coaching and let someone else draft though.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #260 on: October 25, 2020, 09:43:19 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
So in my entire life, I'll admit, I don't think I've felt that bad and disappointed after a Pats game. Like they've had bad losses over the years, including that 2014 beatdown at Arrowhead (leading to "On to Cincinatti") and the 2009 Wild Card game. But at least those games you still felt they could bounceback, had the talent and that the other team just looked better that game. It wasn't like you questioned their characters or effort-levels.

But this one? SF played fantastic but our team looked like they didn't want to be there. Terrible effort on both sides, and even Belichick looks like he's checked out over the last few weeks. Edelman isn't 100% and he's also mentally checked out. Just bad stuff all around. Really not many bright spots at the moment.

Good news is, they do have cash to spend in FA and maybe this is a "bridge year", though the QB picture going forward is still murky and will be the biggest question mark.

They've lost 3 in a row for the first time in the longest time. Sigh, hate to say it but Boston Sports is looking to be very depressing for years to come.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #261 on: October 25, 2020, 10:03:11 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Patriots got beat at the point of contact on both sides of the ball all game long. Simply put, they were slapped silly. The yards after contact stats have to have been dominated by the Niners.

The Patriots overall lack of talent due to bad drafts over the last 6-8 years has been exposed. Luckily they will have gobs of cash to spend in free agency next year.
If anyone wants a real scare for Halloween, look at Bill's record in drafting WRs and TEs post-Gronk. It's ghastly to say the least.
I like Keene as a H-back utility type TE, and he's young, but overall you're very right. Banking on 7th round shocks like Edelman isn't really reliable.

We have a big reliance on snagging guys who developed elsewhere it seems. There is some good TE and WR talent in this upcoming draft - watch us draft an O-line player in the 1st ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #262 on: October 25, 2020, 10:04:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

They've lost 3 in a row for the first time in the longest time. Sigh, hate to say it but Boston Sports is looking to be very depressing for years to come.
The Celtics...?

I don't know anything about hockey, but the Bruins have been in the postseason for a few years in a row too.

« Reply #263 on: October 25, 2020, 10:20:38 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361

The Celtics...?

I don't know anything about hockey, but the Bruins have been in the postseason for a few years in a row too.

That was so a few weeks ago. We Boston sports fans live in the now, [dang it]  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #264 on: October 25, 2020, 10:26:49 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker

I like Keene as a H-back utility type TE, and he's young, but overall you're very right. Banking on 7th round shocks like Edelman isn't really reliable.

We have a big reliance on snagging guys who developed elsewhere it seems. There is some good TE and WR talent in this upcoming draft - watch us draft an O-line player in the 1st ;D
That's giving him too much credit, he's gonna draft yet another guy in the secondary so he can finally create the all-cornerback and safety scheme   ;D

On a serious note, I do think he does a pretty good job at drafting O-line players. If I had to choose whiffing on yet another WR or a good O-line player, I'd take the latter.

« Reply #265 on: October 25, 2020, 10:28:09 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

The Celtics...?

I mean if we're happy with just Eastern Conference Finals appearances and losing in them then be my guest. But I want NBA championships for the Celtics

Same, I don't know anything about hockey either but Tuukka Rask leaving the bubble to be with his family last-minute sure put a dent to their season and perhaps the team's future. And I hear Chara might not be back, so maybe a rebuild on the way?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #266 on: October 25, 2020, 10:31:31 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker

The Celtics...?

I mean if we're happy with just Eastern Conference Finals appearances and losing in them then be my guest. But I want NBA championships for the Celtics

Same, I don't know anything about hockey either but Tuukka Rask leaving the bubble to be with his family last-minute sure put a dent to their season and perhaps the team's future. And I hear Chara might not be back, so maybe a rebuild on the way?
Oh no, constantly being in the top 4 teams in the playoffs with 2 young, talented stars. The horrors of this purgatory we're stuck in!

« Reply #267 on: October 25, 2020, 10:58:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

The Celtics...?

In what world have the C’s peaked? Their best players are 22 and 23...

« Reply #268 on: October 25, 2020, 10:59:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

That's giving him too much credit, he's gonna draft yet another guy in the secondary so he can finally create the all-cornerback and safety scheme   ;D

On a serious note, I do think he does a pretty good job at drafting O-line players. If I had to choose whiffing on yet another WR or a good O-line player, I'd take the latter.
As long as it’s a Div II defensive player Bill will snag him!

Here’s hoping we get creative

« Reply #269 on: October 26, 2020, 12:19:26 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Cardinals seem to me like an obvious example of how big a difference it makes in the modern NFL to draft the right player at QB.  Without a dynamic superstar at QB your team is irrelevant, bound to struggle.  With one, you have a chance to do exciting things.

At the same time, it's clear that outright tanking in the NFL doesn't really work.  The best QBs are often not taken in the top 10 of the draft.  I don't know where that leaves fans of teams without a clear answer at QB.  At least in the NBA you can try to get excited about ping pong balls.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain