Author Topic: GayMatureDating.com....seriously?  (Read 12844 times)

GayMatureDating.com....seriously?
« on: March 21, 2009, 03:38:55 AM »

Offline christuffa

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 70
  • The Sniper
Can you be selective at all with the ads at the top of the forums? This one seems to be a bit out of touch with what type of websites I expect the majority of celticsblog users browse.

Re: GayMatureDating.com....seriously?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 04:03:57 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It's called advertising. They pay to put their advetisement on the blog. Do you feel somehow threatened or repulsed by the ad? If so, then the ad isn't the problem.

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 04:12:18 AM »

Offline christuffa

• Brad Stevens
  • The Sniper
It's called advertising. They pay to put their advetisement on the blog. Do you feel somehow threatened or repulsed by the ad? If so, then the ad isn't the problem.

I understand the whole idea of advertising mate, and I am not at all threatened by this ad. Just did not believe that this forum would be the market for that site.

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 04:18:43 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
But you asked the blog to be selective about what they put out for advertising. That implies that you do not approve of the ad itself. If that isn't the case, which your second post claims, then what's the problem.

Maybe that site is just trying their hardest to reach a certain demographic and their studies show that sports blogs are awash with that type of demographic.

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 04:39:13 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Well said, Nick.

Like a wise man said, the fact that there
are indeed gay people in this world just
means more women for the rest of us  ;)

But seriously, I couldn't care less what
kind of ads are on here. I hardly notice.
If that site wants to pay to have their
ad here, fine by me. Gay people use the
same currency as straight people.

That being said, I'm sure christuffa did not
want to pull a Tim Hardaway here.

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 05:08:32 AM »

Offline christuffa

• Brad Stevens
  • The Sniper
Sorry to offend anyway...it is not what I intended in the slightest and I was not suggesting that the ad shouldn't be on here if there is indeed a reason to advertise their services on this forum.

Stereotyping a little, but just commenting that I would not have thought that the mature gay man would be frequenting a basketball forum. Most "mature" men I know don't know how to send an email, let alone sign up, log on and post on an internet forum.

Good luck to any mature gay men on here and anywhere in the world. We are all C's fans after all and I couldn't care less what sex they are attracted to.

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 05:43:50 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan
Sorry to offend anyway...it is not what I intended in the slightest and I was not suggesting that the ad shouldn't be on here if there is indeed a reason to advertise their services on this forum.

Stereotyping a little, but just commenting that I would not have thought that the mature gay man would be frequenting a basketball forum. Most "mature" men I know don't know how to send an email, let alone sign up, log on and post on an internet forum.

Good luck to any mature gay men on here and anywhere in the world. We are all C's fans after all and I couldn't care less what sex they are attracted to.

TP for you, cs!

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 05:54:38 AM »

Offline EarthBall

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 110
I sorta get what the OP is saying.

I've never really thought too hard about advertising (in fact, I never even noticed the ads on the top of this site until now). For some reason, I always thought websites had the ability to specify the types of ads displayed. But that probably would prevent businesses from targeting new demographics. So I guess this makes sense. 

And who ever clicks on Internet ads? I think TV ads definitely work, as with some radio ads. But I sorta filter out any online ads because there are just so many of them. And thank God for pop-up blockers!

Most "mature" men I know don't know how to send an email, let alone sign up, log on and post on an internet forum.

I think 'mature' in this case is older than 35 or 40, not necessarily 75.

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 06:13:43 AM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18

I never knew basketball fans were a main demographic for celebrity gossip sites...

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 07:47:21 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Jeff, or Roy or someone can definitely answer this more completely, but basically SBNation chooses the ads.  We can submit a request if we feel it's totally out of whack with what's appropriate for CB, but initially it's SBNation's thing.

I'm sure this can be answered more completely and with more authority though.
Yup

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 08:42:36 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228

I certainly found the advertisement unusual. I hope Celticsblog isn't selling out.

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 08:47:57 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
seems like a gray area I don't want to get too deep into

I passed along a link to this thread to the SBN folks and I'll let them make the call

SBN has a new ad distributor partner, so there may be some period of "getting it right" we'll have to be patient through

just know that we hear you when you have comments and questions about ads

thanks
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 08:50:35 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
No offense to the site, but I'm too busy checking out the posts to ever read the ads.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 08:52:35 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan
[Edited.] 

Any comments of a political (or scientific) nature regarding this issue should be made in the Current Events forum.  We want to keep this thread here so that all members can leave feedback about the site, including those who have expressed an interest not to participate in political discussions.

Thanks for understanding.

-R.H.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 09:04:42 AM by Roy Hobbs »

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 08:55:48 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
seems like a gray area I don't want to get too deep into

I passed along a link to this thread to the SBN folks and I'll let them make the call

SBN has a new ad distributor partner, so there may be some period of "getting it right" we'll have to be patient through

just know that we hear you when you have comments and questions about ads

thanks

I don't think anyone is complaining, or asking it to be pulled off the site.  They're just stating how unusual it is.  [Edited.  See above. -R.H.]
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 09:05:40 AM by Roy Hobbs »
Baby Jesus!