Author Topic: Last post within 90 seconds  (Read 19874 times)

Re: Last post within 90 seconds
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 12:22:37 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Yes ... I've been experiencing the same problem over the last few days.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 12:26:35 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
YH, this might be related to "stale cookies" in your browser. It also may be related to MySQL query caching I've implemented. In both cases you would be getting a message not relevant to what you are doing at the time.

I've set sql caching lower. On your end you can flush your browser cache and cookies and see if that helps too. I will keep the posting timing at 90 seconds though simply because it is needed during times lie this.

hmm...I did clear my cookies earlier today before any of this, but the next time it happens ill try that again.

thanks for the response.

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 12:30:17 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
YH, this might be related to "stale cookies" in your browser. It also may be related to MySQL query caching I've implemented. In both cases you would be getting a message not relevant to what you are doing at the time.

I've set sql caching lower. On your end you can flush your browser cache and cookies and see if that helps too. I will keep the posting timing at 90 seconds though simply because it is needed during times lie this.

hmm...I did clear my cookies earlier today before any of this, but the next time it happens ill try that again.

thanks for the response.

I always clean my caches, multiple times a day, and have only had this "90 second" thing happen the last couple of days, around the same times the images disappeared. Thanks for somebody bringing this up ... I though maybe it was just me, but it seems to be systemic.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 10:03:25 AM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
The images disappearing were a completely separate issue from what YH experienced. That problem, like some of the others we've experienced was mostly caused by MySQL query caching. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I hope to have those adjustments finished today.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 12:45:20 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Recent observation, don't know if it was mention on this thread before.  As far as I can tell, this is how the system works.  It doesn't really care about the last time you posted, but about the last time you hit the 'Post' botton.  So let's say I post, wait 60 seconds and try again.  The error will show up.  Let's say I wait another 60 seconds, in theory 120 seconds after my last post, the system won't let me post again because it believes only 60 seconds has passed. Haven't fully experimented with this yet, but I have a hunch it's the case as I've recently had this error and it wouldn't let me post again.  Then my interent crapped out and I couldn't keep testing.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but anyone care to confirm?

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2008, 09:33:13 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i'm having the exact same issue. even if i just logged in, i try to post and it gives me the error message. first post, and yet it says another post has been made?

Become Legendary.

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 01:14:49 PM »

Offline Hrvoje

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
This is just great forum and blog and Celts news portal everything in one, but this rule of last post within 90 seconds is REALLY annoying, especially when is game time

Most of forums (if they have this kind of rules, which in most part they don't) put limit of 5-10 sec. certainly not 90 s.

I understand that it is kind of precaution from crushing the site, but I dont know...

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 01:19:56 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This is just great forum and blog and Celts news portal everything in one, but this rule of last post within 90 seconds is REALLY annoying, especially when is game time

Most of forums (if they have this kind of rules, which in most part they don't) put limit of 5-10 sec. certainly not 90 s.

I understand that it is kind of precaution from crushing the site, but I dont know...

It looks like you were not here when the site was on the old server.  The traffic we get during the playoff game would cause the blue screen of death. 

I will take the 90 second problem over that any day.  (plus I only get it when I send PMs)

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2008, 11:55:16 AM »

Offline Hrvoje

• Al Horford
I'm disappointed that 90 min bug hasn't been fixed yet.

I'm not talking about the rule itself, but about this: server warns me about the time between my last post and one I'm posting at moment not being 90 sec or more. OK, I wait some time and try to post again; and then it warns me again (even tho I'm sure 90 sec. passed). It is because it calculates time from MY LAST WARNING NOT FROM MY LAST POST!! It is so frustrating, for person who isn't aware of this bug, he/she could click and click until tomorrow and still not being able to post!
Please fix this.

Thanks

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2008, 12:02:13 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
right that the problem, it goes of your last attempt not post, burns me some times when i forget.

is thier wany way to shut it off in specific threads?

the only place its an issue seems to be the game threads, where you tend to be posting more.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2008, 09:41:59 AM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
Actually, although some sites use other means of flood control as well, most forums do have active posting limits. They generally are set somewhere between 15 to 60 seconds with the average running around 30 seconds unless higher settings are needed to help prevent flooding. 30 seconds is our normal setting but I had to increase it during the playoffs in order to help our server cope with tremendously high loads we were seeing on CelticsBlog.

Please try to understand what I'm saying? The 90 second posting limit is not a bug. It is a setting that is not going to be changed during the playoffs and especially not during games. It is only imposed in the hopes that it will help our web server not be knocked offline or damaged due to excessively high server loads during peak activity periods.

Do you know what I mean by 'excessively high server loads'? I mean people go nuts over here before, during and after the playoff games and anytime during the playoffs when some breaking news about something comes out. They start posting frantically and refreshing their browser pages every couple of seconds to see if something new has been posted or something else has changed. As a result, our server starts slowing down due to the heavy load it is coming under. When the site starts slowing down, those same frantic people start clicking on things around here even faster and harder out of frustration. Of course, that makes the problem even worse by literally sending over 1,000,000 MySQL database queries per minute to our server for processing.

Our server can't handle that kind of load. We ask people over and over and over to PLEASE slow down during these very busy times and wait at least one minute between pages refreshes and posting but some fail to listen or try to help out the situation at all. Because of that, I had no choice but to increase the time required between user actions in the forums. By no means is that setting enough to insure that we won't end up offline, it is just one thing that can help prevent that to some degree.

I've watched our server loads during peak periods in recent weeks and have come very close a few times to shutting the website down manually for awhile before we ended up with server and/or site damage. Better that than no CelticsBlog at all, right? Which would you rather have, a 90 second posting limit or no CelticsBlog -- because that's at the heart of what we are talking about. So, is it understood yet that the 90 second posting limit is simply a current necessity we have here that will be changed back in the off-season to what we normally use or do I need to explain this further? I'll try if need be.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2008, 10:06:27 AM »

Offline Hrvoje

• Al Horford
Actually, although some sites use other means of flood control as well, most forums do have active posting limits. They generally are set somewhere between 15 to 60 seconds with the average running around 30 seconds unless higher settings are needed to help prevent flooding. 30 seconds is our normal setting but I had to increase it during the playoffs in order to help our server cope with tremendously high loads we were seeing on CelticsBlog.

Please try to understand what I'm saying? The 90 second posting limit is not a bug. It is a setting that is not going to be changed during the playoffs and especially not during games. It is only imposed in the hopes that it will help our web server not be knocked offline or damaged due to excessively high server loads during peak activity periods.

Do you know what I mean by 'excessively high server loads'? I mean people go nuts over here before, during and after the playoff games and anytime during the playoffs when some breaking news about something comes out. They start posting frantically and refreshing their browser pages every couple of seconds to see if something new has been posted or something else has changed. As a result, our server starts slowing down due to the heavy load it is coming under. When the site starts slowing down, those same frantic people start clicking on things around here even faster and harder out of frustration. Of course, that makes the problem even worse by literally sending over 1,000,000 MySQL database queries per minute to our server for processing.

Our server can't handle that kind of load. We ask people over and over and over to PLEASE slow down during these very busy times and wait at least one minute between pages refreshes and posting but some fail to listen or try to help out the situation at all. Because of that, I had no choice but to increase the time required between user actions in the forums. By no means is that setting enough to insure that we won't end up offline, it is just one thing that can help prevent that to some degree.

I've watched our server loads during peak periods in recent weeks and have come very close a few times to shutting the website down manually for awhile before we ended up with server and/or site damage. Better that than no CelticsBlog at all, right? Which would you rather have, a 90 second posting limit or no CelticsBlog -- because that's at the heart of what we are talking about. So, is it understood yet that the 90 second posting limit is simply a current necessity we have here that will be changed back in the off-season to what we normally use or do I need to explain this further? I'll try if need be.

I understand your position and I'm thankfull for your effort on CelticsBlog.

But, I don't think you understand what I was trying to say: when I try to post when I'm not allowed to I get a warning, OK. Then I wait and try to post again, but for some reason I misjudge the time passed (let say I posted after 80 sec.), I get the warning again, and wait for second time. BUT now I have to wait for a FULL 90 sec, not for that 10 sec! So you could click to post again and again you would not be able to post like that until the next year or so! Because it calculates time from my last WARNING not the LAST POST. That is what is so frustrating! And lot of people is experiencing that problem, especially ones who don't know about this issue.

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2008, 11:11:24 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
I agree about how annoying the once in 90 seconds thing is - but it only really happens to me when I am posting one line replies in quick succession (I think it is 90 seconds after you hit the "preview" you hit the "post" or whatever).

When I am writing a more thoughtful, more detailed reply, it does not tend to happen.  Moreover, if you are posting within the 90 second window, you are probably not reading the other posters anyways. :P

Bob, is it possible to adjust the 90 second timer so that it does not read "preview" as "post." That seems like a legitimate beef.

Otherwise, I think the staff does a good job...  If we want things to go faster we will have to up our clicking... ...on the ads around the blog.  New servers do not pay for themselves...

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2008, 12:12:53 PM »

Offline celticsfan34

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 32

The problem isn't that there's a 90 second posting limit, its that when you haven't even made a post in the last 6 hours it says that when you press the "Post" button. I completely understand the limit, but there's some sort of bug. I know your doing a lot to keep the site running though, for that I thank you.

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2008, 12:55:17 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

The problem isn't that there's a 90 second posting limit, its that when you haven't even made a post in the last 6 hours it says that when you press the "Post" button. I completely understand the limit, but there's some sort of bug. I know your doing a lot to keep the site running though, for that I thank you.

The software counts several things as a "post":

1) Logging into the website;
2) Making a post;
3) Sending a PM;
3) Attempting to make a repost after getting a warning.

You must wait 90 seconds in between doing any of these things.  Thus, your first post must be made no sooner than 90 seconds after logging in.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions