Author Topic: Last post within 90 seconds  (Read 19462 times)

Last post within 90 seconds
« on: April 30, 2008, 10:36:54 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I received this PM.  Anybody else having similar issues?

...I am about ready to throw my computer through a wall.  Can you explain to me why this keeps happening.  I go to post, and it tells me that my last post was within 90 seconds (which it wasnt, because i have yet to post).  I wait 90 seconds, go to repost it and it tells me that a new post has been made and i should review it, i click post and it tells me my last post has been within 90 seconds.

So it is essentially not letting me post at all. any reason you can think why it is doing this?  i have tried using both IE and Mozilla.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Last post within 90 seconds
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 10:47:11 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I had it while I was in the library (on CelticsBlog instead of doing work).  I don't have the problem on the laptop in my room.  Both are IBMs, my laptop is a ThinkPad.  I use Mozilla on both.  That probably doesnt help much but it's what I've been experiencing haha.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 10:56:52 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Maybe you guys should think about removing the "new post has been made thing".  It seems to me that no one cares about it, and they just keep hitting the post botton as quickly as they can just so that what they're trying to post goes through.

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 10:59:20 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Maybe you guys should think about removing the "new post has been made thing".  It seems to me that no one cares about it, and they just keep hitting the post botton as quickly as they can just so that what they're trying to post goes through.

That option can be disabled by any member who wants to do so.  Go into your profile, click on "Look and Layout Preferences", and check the box that says "Don't warn on new replies made while posting." 

I don't think that has anything to do with this particular issue, though.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 11:11:44 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

That option can be disabled by any member who wants to do so.  Go into your profile, click on "Look and Layout Preferences", and check the box that says "Don't warn on new replies made while posting." 

it seems to have subsided a bit...it is still doing it, but not as much (I was the one from OP).

I didnt know about that option, definitely just took advantage of that, although as you said, i dont think that was the issue.

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 11:19:54 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
Sorry, but everyone will have similar issues right now because, as we've done many times in the past, our "flood control" level for posting in the forums has been increased from 30 to 90 seconds. This is a method of controlling the frequency of posting during peak times that is used by forums around the net as needed.

The reason it is used at least sometimes, if not all the time, is to help a web server cope with not just high traffic loads, but even more, high activity levels. When CelticsBlog is experiencing a combination of high traffic and high activity it can overload the server. That in turn will put it offline for everyone. We are going to try to keep that from happening.

So, everyone take a deep breath and slow down your mouse-clicking and posting. Again, I'm sorry we have to do this, but sometimes we have to in order to keep things going. The hardest thing the CB web server ever has to endure is hundreds or thousands of people over here clicking and posting frantically around this place. It can only handle that up to a point.

During these playoffs we will most likely keep the 90 second posting limit in place most if not all of the time. The reason for that is because we simply can't tell when people are going to flood CB with both numbers and activity during these intense times. During the last Atlanta game, we literally went from a couple of hundred relatively calm people here to over 600 who were clicking around at unbelievable rates in a matter of a couple of minutes.

The result was extreme server overload and one temporary shutdown after another for awhile until I could adjust posting rates and other parameters here to cope with the load. So we all have to understand that this server has limits and just slow down some when things are busy here. Having 600 people on CB is not a problem. Having 600 who are sending a million SQL queries to the server per minute are.

Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 11:23:15 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Sorry, but everyone will have similar issues right now because, as we've done many times in the past, our "flood control" level for posting in the forums has been increased from 30 to 90 seconds. This is a method of controlling the frequency of posting during peak times that is used by forums around the net as needed.

The reason it is used at least sometimes, if not all the time, is to help a web server cope with not just high traffic loads, but even more, high activity levels. When CelticsBlog is experiencing a combination of high traffic and high activity it can overload the server. That in turn will put it offline for everyone. We are going to try to keep that from happening.

So, everyone take a deep breath and slow down your mouse-clicking and posting. Again, I'm sorry we have to do this, but sometimes we have to in order to keep things going. The hardest thing the CB web server ever has to endure is hundreds or thousands of people over here clicking and posting frantically around this place. It can only handle that up to a point.

During these playoffs we will most likely keep the 90 second posting limit in place most if not all of the time. The reason for that is because we simply can't tell when people are going to flood CB with both numbers and activity during these intense times. During the last Atlanta game, we literally went from a couple of hundred relatively calm people here to over 600 who were clicking around at unbelievable rates.

The result was extreme server overload and one temporary shutdown after another for awhile until I could adjust posting rates and other parameters here to cope with the load. So we all have to understand that this server has limits and just slow down some when things are busy here. Having 600 people on CB is not a problem. Having 600 who are sending a million SQL queries to the server per minute are.

Bob, I think you perhaps overlooked the initial complaint.  The issue was that yall hate was getting this error message, even though he hadn't posted at all yet.  Posters should only get that message within 90 seconds of making another post or PM, correct?  Any thoughts on what was causing yall hate's issue?

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 11:24:34 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Cool, didn't know about that. I didn't think it was a problem either, but seemed related somehow. Looking at the post above, maybe it would be wise to remove this option during busy hours, maybe it'll remove a bit of the strain on the servers and possibly reduce the SQL queries? I don't know, just an idea.

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 11:25:22 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

During these playoffs we will most likely keep the 90 second posting limit in place most if not all of the time. The reason for that is because we simply can't tell when people are going to flood CB with both numbers and activity during these intense times. During the last Atlanta game, we literally went from a couple of hundred relatively calm people here to over 600 who were clicking around at unbelievable rates.

Bob, I think you perhaps overlooked the initial complaint.  The issue was that yall hate was getting this error message, even though he hadn't posted at all yet.  Posters should only get that message within 90 seconds of making another post or PM, correct?  Any thoughts on what was causing yall hate's issue?

Right, as Roy said, I got it before ever posting.  I attributed that to maybe the site counting me logging in as a post.  but I then waited 5 minutes (I timed it) and still got the message.

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 11:27:40 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108

Right, as Roy said, I got it before ever posting.  I attributed that to maybe the site counting me logging in as a post.  but I then waited 5 minutes (I timed it) and still got the message.

This has happened to me a couple times too.

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 11:29:32 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
thanks for the feedback guys, we'll look into it
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 11:38:24 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • El Webmaster Romántico
YH, this might be related to "stale cookies" in your browser. It also may be related to MySQL query caching I've implemented. In both cases you would be getting a message not relevant to what you are doing at the time.

I've set sql caching lower. On your end you can flush your browser cache and cookies and see if that helps too. I will keep the posting timing at 90 seconds though simply because it is needed during times lie this.

As for all of you folks who like to hit your browser's refresh button every few seconds, you are killing CB during busy times. Slow down. Don't try to open several pages into tabs one after another in rapid sequence. Wait 60 seconds to refresh or check recent/updated topics. Your moderation can help CB weather the busy times more than anything I can do on the technical end of things.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 11:41:26 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
ditto what Bob said

this ain't twitter, slow down and take your time posting  ;D
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 12:11:05 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213

...I am about ready to throw my computer through a wall.  Can you explain to me why this keeps happening.  I go to post, and it tells me that my last post was within 90 seconds (which it wasnt, because i have yet to post).  I wait 90 seconds, go to repost it and it tells me that a new post has been made and i should review it, i click post and it tells me my last post has been within 90 seconds.

So it is essentially not letting me post at all. any reason you can think why it is doing this?  i have tried using both IE and Mozilla.

Are you in Atlanta?  Maybe the 90 second clock is malfunctioning. 

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 12:16:28 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

Are you in Atlanta?  Maybe the 90 second clock is malfunctioning. 

tp for cleverness.....
nah its only because i love coconut grove... ;D
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!