Poll

Who was better, Paul Pierce or Scottie Pippen?

Pierce
21 (51.2%)
Pippen
20 (48.8%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Pierce or Pippen  (Read 18328 times)

Re: Pierce or Pippen
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2018, 08:33:38 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The revisionism on Pippen here is hilarious.

Pierce was the better shooter and was a 10 time all star to Pippen's 7, and for all the talk of Pippen's defense he played in the era when you actually could play defense whereas Pierce shut down Kobe in the era when you couldn't.

Further Pippen had his shot to be the guy. He lost MJ, but was given upgrades everywhere else. He was given Kukoc, Longley, a phenomenal 3 point shooter, and a draft pick, and that was in addition to 4 time all star Horace Grant (who had the best year of his career) that was on the team.

What did Pippen do? He wet the bed. Not only did the Bulls not make the Finals, they didn't make the conference finals. They didn't win the central division. Then he sat and sulked in the last two seconds of a tied playoff game where Kukoc hit the winning shot.

Pippen was just a guy in the right place at the right time that never led a team to a conference finals. He's nothing like Barkley or Karl Malone or even Ewing or Reggie Miller.   He was a good player but should never be confused with a prime guy.

He's Carmelo Anthony with way better defense. Woop de doo. Give me Pierce all day every day.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 10:12:33 AM by eja117 »

« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2018, 09:05:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Pierce was the better shooter and was a 10 time all star to Pippen's 7, and for all the talk of Pippen's defense he played in the era when you actually could play defense whereas Pierce shut down Kobe in the era when you couldn't.

Further Pippen had his shot to be the guy. He lost MJ, but was given upgrades everywhere else. He was given Kukoc, Longley, a phenomenal 3 point shooter, and a draft pick, and that was in addition to 4 time all star Horace Grant that was on the team.

What did Pippen do? He wet the bed. Not only did the Bulls not make the Finals, they didn't make the conference finals. They didn't win the central division. Then he sat and sulked in the last two seconds of a tied playoff game where Kukoc hit the winning shot.

Pippen was just a guy in the right place at the right time that never led a team to a conference finals. He's nothing like Barkley or Karl Malone or even Ewing or Reggie Miller.   He was a good player but should never be confused with a prime guy.

He's Carmelo Anthony with way better defense. Woop de doo. Give me Pierce all day every day.
Lol at that last line. Melo was a better scorer than Pierce, so that comparison is very funny
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2018, 09:43:10 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Further Pippen had his shot to be the guy. He lost MJ, but was given upgrades everywhere else. He was given Kukoc, Longley, a phenomenal 3 point shooter, and a draft pick, and that was in addition to 4 time all star Horace Grant that was on the team.

Lol at that last line. Melo was a better scorer than Pierce, so that comparison is very funny
Melo has some good stats but he's nothing special. Although he does have the same number of all star games.
Vince Carter with better defense? TMac with better defense? One of those overrated overhyped guys

« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2018, 09:48:24 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Truth!

In all honesty
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2018, 09:36:56 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Deleted.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2018, 09:43:06 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Come on now. Pippen, and it’s not close.
I get it if people pick Pippen, but to say it's not close is a bit much. It's pretty darn close. A lot of Pippens' career he was aided by the fact that defenses had to focus so much on Jordan. I'm not saying that negates his greatness, but you need to take that into account.

It's really not close.  Seven All-NBA teams for Pippen (3-first; 2-second; 2-third); 10 All-Defense selections.  Pierce four All-NBA selections (1-second; 3-third); zero All-Defense.

Pippin leads in titles (obviously), but also rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, eFG%.  Pierce leads in scoring and FT%.  That's despite Pippen being a #2 option (behind the NBA's career leader in Usage) and Pierce being a clear #1 (six times being in the top-10 in Usage).

I stand by my statement:  it's not really close.
as much as i loath pippen as a person and adore pierce for wearing green, pippen was better. there might not have been as large a gap as some here posit, but pippen, clearly.

roy's points are good ones. add to that pippen's great, great defense. pippen's defense was outstanding. he was arguably the greatest perimeter defender in the history of the NBA.

what i think will be a more interesting debate in a decade will a "who's better - pierce or tatum?"

;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2018, 09:52:21 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Maybe I am a "homer", but I think Phil Jackson should get mentioned when talking MJordan or SPippen.

I don't think Phil gets enough credit for his contribution during the Championship years - both as a Bull or Laker.  To put it bluntly, no Phil, then Jordan/Pippen don't win 6 championships.

Pierce did his with bad coaching and poor front office.  Pippen did his with arguably the second best coach in the History of the NBA (second to good old Red only - another Homer comment  ;D)

In short, LeBron with Phil ...... Instead of 3, LeBron would have 6 by now.

« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2018, 10:06:28 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Does anyone here think Pippen could straight up defend Kobe (or LeBron)? Using today's rules?

I just got finished watching Marcus Smart for years. Pippen's defense was good but not that good. He wasn't even the best defender on his team.

Are we also going to start asking if maybe Kawhi Leonard is better than Pierce?

« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2018, 10:13:33 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Are we all going to start talking about how great Horace Grant was? He was a 4 time 2nd team all defensive player.  I mean maybe he was better than Al Horford.

« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2018, 10:24:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Does anyone here think Pippen could straight up defend Kobe (or LeBron)? Using today's rules?

I just got finished watching Marcus Smart for years. Pippen's defense was good but not that good. He wasn't even the best defender on his team.

Leonard is better than Pierce (or at least he was, no idea if he gets back to where he was).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2018, 10:25:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Are we all going to start talking about how great Horace Grant was? He was a 4 time 2nd team all defensive player.  I mean maybe he was better than Al Horford.
That is actually an interesting question. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2018, 10:35:58 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Pierce, and it really isnt that close
Would really like to hear how Pierce is considerably better than Pippen

Scottie Pippen was the beneficiary of one of the best run organizations in BB in a long time. He also benefited from playing with arguably the GOAT. Paul Pierce has numerous memorable games and shots in his career, Pippen was a solid contributor to the Bulls like Rodman, Grant, Harper. Pierce was THE MAN, Pippen was one of the OTHERS.

« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2018, 10:38:40 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Leonard is better than Pierce (or at least he was, no idea if he gets back to where he was).
Kawhi has never made it past 74 games in a season. Pierce did it routinely. You gotta look at totals. Not just averages

« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2018, 10:39:34 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
That is actually an interesting question.
He's just another good player that got a little bit of MJ's glory to fall on him.

« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2018, 03:44:06 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
While i was gone did anyone get into whether Kukoc was a better sixth man than McHale and whether BJ Armstrong was a better backup pg than Marcus Smart and that Jason Caffey was better than Leon Powe?