Author Topic: Force Awakens. (Possible spoilers)  (Read 46948 times)

Force Awakens. (Possible spoilers)
« on: December 18, 2015, 12:53:57 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Force Awakens < Phantom Menace.
Force Awakens < Godfather 3

Total plagiarism of New Hope
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 09:26:19 AM by eja117 »

Re: Force Awakens. (Possible spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 12:54:45 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Star Wars fanbase remains as divisive as ever I see.

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 12:57:17 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I have liked every single Star Wars film I ever saw and I liked every Star Wars Tv show I ever saw, and every video game and every book and comic.

I am not a Star Wars complainer. I am not a Star Wars snob.   And I hated this movie. Hated. Like watching Rick Pitino or something.

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 01:08:22 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I really liked it.  I thought it was better than all 3 prequels as it felt a lot truer to the original 3 to me.  It wasn't perfect, but I thought JJ Abrams did a great job and I can't wait to see the next one.

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 01:13:20 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
I haven't watched it yet, though the marketing disappointed me. It felt like they were trying too hard to please the fans who hated the prequels while leaving the people who liked them in the dust.

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 01:14:39 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I liked it a lot, same as with fellow fanatics who Ive asked. It eerily feels like I'm watching A New Hope. The atmosphere, the story telling, its the same. It doesnt quite follow Star Wars expanded universe but I think Kylo Ren and Rey are based on Jacen and Jaina Solo.

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 01:15:37 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
I'm still looking forward to the movie though.

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 01:24:45 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I liked it a lot, same as with fellow fanatics who Ive asked. It eerily feels like I'm watching A New Hope. The atmosphere, the story telling, its the same. It doesnt quite follow Star Wars expanded universe but I think Kylo Ren and Rey are based on Jacen and Jaina Solo.
How is the story telling the same? And is that a good thing?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 01:33:07 AM by eja117 »

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 01:37:05 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
How is the story telling the same?

When Rey was first seen they showed her taking down scraps, parts from the machine, sliding down then making a makeshift sled. You basically knew she was a survivor and a loner without a word being said. An adventure leads to another. People getting to know each other through those? Aren't those A New Hope's? lol If you can't figure it out I have no reason to talk to you.

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 01:49:27 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
How is the story telling the same?

When Rey was first seen they showed her taking down scraps, parts from the machine, sliding down then making a makeshift sled. You basically knew she was a survivor and a loner without a word being said. An adventure leads to another. People getting to know each other through those? Aren't those A New Hope's? lol If you can't figure it out I have no reason to talk to you.
New Hope wasn't basically an hour and a half chase scene followed by a half hour fight scene without laying any of the parameters of the film.

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 01:50:44 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I haven't watched it yet, though the marketing disappointed me. It felt like they were trying too hard to please the fans who hated the prequels while leaving the people who liked them in the dust.
Actually I kinda agree with that.

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 04:39:08 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I have liked every single Star Wars film I ever saw and I liked every Star Wars Tv show I ever saw, and every video game and every book and comic.

I am not a Star Wars complainer. I am not a Star Wars snob.   And I hated this movie. Hated. Like watching Rick Pitino or something.
PM me with your thoughts.  I saw it... everyone I saw it with loved it.  The movie got glowing reviews.  It's being unanimously praised by fans for "bringing back Star Wars".  You might be the first person I've seen with a negative reivew.   I'm not sure what kind of standard you were holding it to or what kind of expectations you may have had, but it was classic Star Wars.  I'm curious to find out what you hated about it.   It was a super enjoyable movie.  Significantly better than the prequels.  Worthy of all the love it's getting.  I highly recommend it.   

It wasn't without faults, but neither were the original movies.  It captured the tone/vibe of the originals wonderfully.  The action was fantastic.  Unlike the prequels, it had a much needed dose of humor.   I thought Kylo Ren was great.  It's the first movie I've seen Harrison Ford NOT mail in for several years... I was worried about his performance and I thought he was classic Han Solo.  I had tiny gripes, but so many moments that got me hyped up.  I'm looking forward to the sequels.  I think Episode 8 might even be better... I think Rian Johnson is a better director than JJ Abrams.  But what JJ Abrams pulled off here was great.  This was a worthy addition to the Star Wars saga. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 05:35:32 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 07:25:11 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I have no real issues with the bad guy. I thought Han carried the movie mostly. I thought it was definitely funnier. I liked one of the new characters and didn't hate the others. Liked the thing on the ship that was scary (that was very clever). But overall terrible.

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 08:50:49 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Force Awakens < Phantom Menace.

There is NOTHING in this film that even approaches the awfulness of Jar Jar Binks.

I enjoyed it as a really fun sci-fantasy adventure and it starkly illustrates how bad Lucas was with elementary filmmaking/storytelling in the prequels.

However, TFA is largely a merciless rehash, recap and recycle of the previous films.  It's like the most expensive and best made Star Wars fan fiction ever.

Mike

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 10:20:04 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
To be fair to Phantom Menace I grant you nothing in TFA may be as bad as Jar Jar, but nothing in it was as good as Darth Maul, so it sorta evened out on that. There was also nothing as good as Qui Gon.
That scary thing on the ship that was chasing people.  Ok that was pretty good. Liked that