Author Topic: Hornets (1-0) at Celtics (0-1) Preseason Game #2 9/30/18  (Read 25816 times)

Hornets (1-0) at Celtics (0-1) Preseason Game #2 9/30/18
« on: September 29, 2018, 07:56:30 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Charlotte Hornets  (1-0) at Boston Celtics (0-1)
Sunday, September 30, 2018
6:00 PM ET
Preseason Game #2
TV: NBCSB, League Pass
TD Garden

Probable Starters
PG SG SF PF C
PG: Kyrie Irving
SG: Jaylen Brown
SF:  Gordon Hayward
PF:  Jayson Tatum
C:   Aron Baynes

BWA (Bench with Attitude)

Justin Bibbs
PJ Dozier
Nick King
Walt Lemon Jr
Marcus Morris Sr
Semi Ojeleye
Jeff Roberson
Terry Rozier
Daniel Theis
Brad Wanamaker
Robert Williams
Guerschon Yabusele

Injuries
Jabari Bird (not with team)  out
Marcus Smart (personal) day to day
Al Horford (wrist) out

Head Coach

Brad Stevens

Probable Starters
PGSGSFPFC
PG:  Kemba Walker
SG:  Jeremy Lamb
SF:  Nicolas Batum
PF:  Marvin Williams
C:  Cody Zeller

Hornets Reserves

Dwayne Bacon
Michael Kidd Gilchrist
Jaylen Barford
Bismack Biyombo
Miles Bridges
Joe Chealey
Frank Kaminsky
JP Macura
Tony Parker
Zach Smith
Isaiah Wilkins

Injuries
Devonte Graham  (knee)  out
Malik Monk (pelvic contusion) probable

Head Coach
James Borrego

Game Notes
The Celtics play their first home game of the preseason against the Charlotte Hornets,  the team that beat them just 2 days ago on the road.    This is the second of just 4 preseason games for the Celtics while it is the 2nd of 5 preseason games for the Hornets.  With the first game and an extra practice under their belts, hopefully the Celtics will make a better showing in this game.

Brad Stevens started the 5 that most expected him to in the first game and more than likely, the same 5 will start again to give them time to mesh before the start of the regular season.  However, he kept all players to 20 minutes or less and will likely keep their minutes down again in this game as well.  With Horford out, I'm going to guess that Aron Baynes gets the start,  but it's the preseason so it could be anyone starting here, even Robert Williams. 

The Hornets started the players that most expect to start for them in the regular season also and I'm guessing that they will start the same lineup again in this game.  The Hornets shot only 38.2% from the field and 30.6% from beyond the arc, but the Celtics shot just 19.1% from 3 point distance while taking 47 3 pointers. 
Gordon Hayward, Kyrie Irving and Daniel Theis all returned from injury but the Celtics were without Marcus Smart, who missed the game for personal reasons and they missed his spark off the bench. Hopefully he will be back for this game but there is nothing new on his status as of now. Al Horford is listed as out with a right wrist sprain.

The Hornets played Friday without Malik Monk who is recovering from a pelvic contusion. He is listed as available for this game. Devonte Graham is expected to be out with a knee injury. The Celtics are rumored to be signing Marcus Georges-Hunt but it’s unclear when he plans to join the team. 

Key Matchups
vs
Kyrie Irving vs Kemba Walker
This should definitely be the starting point guard matchup once again and if so, will also once again be a key matchup.  Kyrie looked a little rusty in his first game shooting 4-10 for 9 points and just 1-5 from beyond the arc.  Walker didn't look much better, scoring 12 points on 3-10 shooting and 1-4 from the outside. 

vs
Gordon Hayward vs Nicolas Batum
Gordon Hayward also looked a bit rusty but it was very good to see him back on the court.  He was just 2-7 from the field and 1-5 from three but he also shot 7 free throws for 10 total points.  Batum should start at SF again in this game.  He also scored 10 points on 4-9 shooting and 2-6 from beyond the arc.  Hopefully Gordon's rust will start to wear away and we will get to see what he can really do. 

Keys to the Game

Defense - Defense is always a key to winning.  Brad has stressed that the Celtics can't skip steps, especially on the defensive end.  They allowed too many open shots and failed to box out several times allowing the Hornets to get easy baskets.  They also need to tighten up their 3 point defense as well.  Hopefully they can tighten up their defense in this one. 

Offense - There were times last season when the Celtics would have offensive droughts. The offense looked great in the first half when the Celtics scored 60 points but in the second half,  they had one of those droughts where they couldn't hit their shots.  They shot just 19% from beyond the arc and that just can't happen again.  If the 3's aren't falling they should take it to the basket. 

Rebound - With all the misses last game there were a lot of rebounds available.  The Celtics allowed the Hornets to out rebound them 65-56.  They can't score without the ball and so they have to crash the boards and not allow the Hornets to get second chance baskets or begin fast breaks. 

Chemistry - The Celtics need to build on court chemistry and work off the rust in these 4 preseason games.  The Sixers looked pretty good in their first game and so the Celtics need to be ready to face them on day 1.  They need to work on that chemistry while playing short stints together in the 3 remaining games. 

NO INJURIES - This pretty much is obvious.  After having to play through losing several key players last season,  the Celtics need to stay healthy.  This is just the preseason and we want all of our players to be healthy going into the regular season.  Play hard and play good, but don't get hurt!! 

X Factor

Three Point Shooting - The Celtics must shoot better than 19%, especially if they shoot 47 of them as they did in the first game.  If the 3's aren't falling they need to go to the basket and not settle for outside bricks. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 04:06:17 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Hornets (1-0) at Celtics (0-1) Preseason Game #2 9/30/18
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 08:16:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
LETS GO!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 08:17:48 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Glad to see celtics bball again

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 08:21:23 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to gouki88 and mr. dee for being the first to post in the game thread!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 09:04:59 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Let's go Celtics! Please don't shoot as many 3s as last game!
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 09:56:05 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

I don't think we were even trying to win.

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 10:21:35 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
go celtics  :)

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 10:22:34 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I want to see more of Hayward and Williams. I hope Marcus Smart can play. Go Celtics!

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 11:23:57 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
This was a disappointing game for me.

OK. The Celtics played their backups the 2nd half, much like the Red Sox have been playing their jayvees lately, but I found their lack of ball distribution and excessive 3P shooting troubling even in the first half, when they had a 15 point lead.

The 2nd half was a disaster, as the supporting group kept throwing up bricks which would have made Red Auerbach cringe. Everybody wants to be Larry Bird--or Danny Ainge.

It was all reminiscent of that disastrous game 7 finals in Boston. What was their 3P shot % that game?

In this one, it was 20%.

I guess Stevens was more interested in getting some practice at 3P shooting, rather than winning. At least I hope so, or it's going to be a long season.

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 03:38:43 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
This was a disappointing game for me.

OK. The Celtics played their backups the 2nd half, much like the Red Sox have been playing their jayvees lately, but I found their lack of ball distribution and excessive 3P shooting troubling even in the first half, when they had a 15 point lead.

The 2nd half was a disaster, as the supporting group kept throwing up bricks which would have made Red Auerbach cringe. Everybody wants to be Larry Bird--or Danny Ainge.

It was all reminiscent of that disastrous game 7 finals in Boston. What was their 3P shot % that game?

In this one, it was 20%.

I guess Stevens was more interested in getting some practice at 3P shooting, rather than winning. At least I hope so, or it's going to be a long season.

This game hasn't happened yet and it's preseason.... ;D

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 03:45:26 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Another thread by flc!! Many thanks and a tp.

This time the Celtics will beat the living snot out of the hornets.  Grrr grrr grrr.  >:(

Gooooooooooooooooo Celtics!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2018, 03:46:55 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Right, shoot more of them,  ;D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 10:58:10 AM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2018, 07:02:44 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

I don't think we were even trying to win.

this ^ ....it was a half hearted effort ,  it was a fun pick up game with refs and respect to the hosts , very friendly affair .   

Glade,the people weathered the hurricane stil wanted to come out and see sports .  They deserved a little nreak seeing Hornets beat Boston.   

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 07:50:27 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Let's Go!!! A little more starters and a little less Ojeleye and Wannamaker please.

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2018, 08:13:34 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
My frist frist page on game thread?  EDIT: Yes.

GO C's!!!