Author Topic: Injury Updates: Kemba/Langford/TT  (Read 7559 times)

Re: Injury Updates: Kemba/Langford/TT
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2020, 01:48:02 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Dwyane Wade had similar lingering knee issues around 2013, as I remember.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1740243-dwyane-wade-turns-to-extreme-knee-treatments-to-improve-health

Wade played at a relatively high level for another 4 seasons after that and retired >5 years later.
Wade fell of a cliff after this injury.

He was still good for a couple years but his ineffectiveness was a big part of the reason they got ran off the floor in the 2014 finals.

His performance in that postseason was markedly better than the previous one where he was injured. And after the procedure, he was still good and made 3 more All-Star teams. Quite frankly, if we can keep Kemba healthy for the next 2 to 3 years (which seems possible), we're fine. We're not married to him beyond this contract.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2020, 01:59:35 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1740243-dwyane-wade-turns-to-extreme-knee-treatments-to-improve-health

Wade played at a relatively high level for another 4 seasons after that and retired >5 years later.

This is true but...

When Wade was younger, he could just blow by defenders, but by 2013, that faded away. But he always also was a very strong, very long player who was very good at hesitation moves, bumping off defenders and floaters. He went from being a 30 ppg kind of guy to an 20 ppg kind of guy. He had a sophisticated old man game too.

Kemba doesn't have that kind of body, and hasn't played that way. Even if he could, he wouldn't be what he was. He just doesn't have the same margin of error that Wade had.

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2020, 02:21:23 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

He was still good for a couple years but his ineffectiveness was a big part of the reason they got ran off the floor in the 2014 finals.

His performance in that postseason was markedly better than the previous one where he was injured. And after the procedure, he was still good and made 3 more All-Star teams. Quite frankly, if we can keep Kemba healthy for the next 2 to 3 years (which seems possible), we're fine. We're not married to him beyond this contract.
The issue is that Wade had a lot more talent to begin with.

Wade can slip substantially, as he did, and still be a really productive player. What happens to Kembas game if his quickness and explosiveness declines the same way Wade’s did?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2020, 02:33:43 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
So, going by the OP, Langford won't even be available until, like, late January, maybe not until late February. And the first week of January may bring us only an update on Kemba, as opposed to him being able to actually play at that time.

Nice to know that as far as injuries go, Boston's already in midseason form.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2020, 02:39:42 PM »

Online gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Wade can slip substantially, as he did, and still be a really productive player. What happens to Kembas game if his quickness and explosiveness declines the same way Wade’s did?

The first thing to slip for Wade was his availability. If Kemba just needs load management for the next two years, I can live with that. We knew he wasn't going to be in his prime for his entire contract.

« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2020, 02:43:04 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

This where I think we remember the Dwyane thing differently. After he had the procedure, he appeared healthy and had one of the most efficient seasons of his career. When he really did start to slip noticeably - which was his final season in Miami, IMO, and coincidentally when they decided not to give him big money - his impact went down as well because so much of his game was tied to his athleticism.

I don't know what the future holds for Kemba, there are some things that favor him more than Wade (his shooting ability, for one) so he may be able to carve out an impact role once his athleticism goes. But I don't think we're at that point yet because there is precedence for this procedure working and at least staving off the inevitable for a season or 2.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2020, 02:44:19 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Why did the Celtics do something about Kemba knee after the season was postponed in March instead waiting till now? Thought time would heal it?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2020, 02:50:43 PM »

Offline MickaelPietrus

• NGT
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 8
Sounds like a .500 team to me. Ainge seems fine with it. No Langford, no Walker, relying on Jeff Teague and Pritchard. That's mediocrity until people get healthy (if they do) and we use the TPE
You lead with No Langford?  They guy had absolutely zero impact on the team last year other than getting some posters' excited about his defensive potential.  Replacing Kemba is harder, but they managed it last year.  This is Tatum and Brown's team.  They will be fine.
Last year yes. In order for this year's team to work both Langford and Neismith have to be good or at least playable right away. Not just my opinion, as everyone (news outlets, Celtics media, Danny Ainge, etc) seems to be betting on that. In case you haven't noticed, he and Neismith are the backup wings on this team. As you may or may not know, injuries also happen during a season, and a team needs a rotation of at least 9 guys in order to have any kind of success during the regular season. Maybe if we could just run the starters 48 minutes every game reserve players wouldn't matter. But obviously, Langford's injury is nothing in comparison to the devastating blow that is losing Kemba for different stretches during the entire season.

https://chowderandchampions.com/2020/10/03/boston-celtics-danny-ainge-confident-romeo-langford/
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 03:00:36 PM by MickaelPietrus »

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2020, 02:52:24 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Why did the Celtics do something about Kemba knee after the season was postponed in March instead waiting till now? Thought time would heal it?

Because they didn't know if/when the season would resume and possibly thought rest/strengthening could help. Clearly rest didn't, so now they're moving onto the next thing.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2020, 02:55:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

This is true but...

When Wade was younger, he could just blow by defenders, but by 2013, that faded away. But he always also was a very strong, very long player who was very good at hesitation moves, bumping off defenders and floaters. He went from being a 30 ppg kind of guy to an 20 ppg kind of guy. He had a sophisticated old man game too.

Kemba doesn't have that kind of body, and hasn't played that way. Even if he could, he wouldn't be what he was. He just doesn't have the same margin of error that Wade had.

Kemba can shoot, though.  Wade never really became a three point shooter.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2020, 02:58:04 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I am not that worried about Langford or Thompson.  Langford is not that important to the team and Thompson's "injury" is a sore hamstring.  The real concern is Kemba Walker of course.  Things like stem cell injections are very worrisome.  Combine that with how he played in the post season and there is plenty of reason to be concerned.

Based on what I know, I can't even speculate as to how bad this is.  Maybe it can be managed.  Maybe it is career threatening.  I will say that I do not see him adapting his game the way that Wade and maybe some other were able to.  Add this all up and I am very worried about Kemba.  We'll see.

« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2020, 03:41:49 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Should've never played in that ridiculous all-star game. That's how you derail a team's season when the injury in those events plays a factor. Esp a lingering injury.

Wish the Celtics can skip out on it next season, esp Tatum and Brown.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2020, 03:57:25 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

I believe Kobe may have had the same treatment with similar results.

Obviously not ideal, but at least it's a potential 2-3 yr mitigation and not "bone on bone" haha

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2020, 04:36:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Quote from: RJ87 link=topic=103361.msg2848457#msg2848457

Quite frankly, if we can keep Kemba healthy for the next 2 to 3 years (which seems possible), we're fine. We're not married to him beyond this contract.

Yeah, it feels cold to think of it this way, but it's true.

We only need Kemba to be at a relatively high level for another 2 years.  If he plays at a relatively high level, he will opt out of his final year.  We don't want him to opt into that last year because it would mean he's really dropped off.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2020, 04:36:39 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Should've never played in that ridiculous all-star game. That's how you derail a team's season when the injury in those events plays a factor. Esp a lingering injury.

Wish the Celtics can skip out on it next season, esp Tatum and Brown.

Yeah! Let's just put them in a little glass jar. We can take them out and look at them whenever we want.