Author Topic: Did losing horford also help the others?  (Read 3521 times)

Did losing horford also help the others?
« on: November 09, 2019, 02:50:17 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Lots of attention been placed on losing kyrie but a lot of the offense also revolved around horford.  That’s great if he’s creating shots for others that need it but guys like brown and Tatum and Hayward don’t need to be set up.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 04:15:50 PM by droopdog7 »

Re: Did losing horford also help the others?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 02:56:55 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think it was a combination of Horford, Rozier, and Morris - all players who operated better by having the ball in their hands. With our top 4 guys now, all of them can play off ball or on ball comfortably - with Kemba and Hayward having the ability to create for others. I suppose Smart can be mentioned here, as well, but I think he is a much better creator for others than for himself.

I am not putting Horford in the same company of Rozier and Morris in terms of shot taking, just that the offense was often set to run through him. That was more important on the IT/Crowder/AB teams and less so with the top end young talent we have now.

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 03:18:27 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
This is a good point. Losing Horford has focused more playmaking responsibilities on Hayward where he is flourishing.

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 03:25:21 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
This is a good point. Losing Horford has focused more playmaking responsibilities on Hayward where he is flourishing.

Hayward still had the ball a lot in his hands last season. He just wasn't any good.

Horford created a lot of opportunities for everyone with his shooting and passing. They haven't necessarily missed him, but I don't think him not being here is helping anyone.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 03:42:52 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Horford is the ultimate team player.

- very good defender
- excellent court vision, willing passer
- he's perfectly happy to play off the ball
- hardly ever forces his own shot
- stretches the floor --> opposing bigs follow him to the perimeter --> easier for Horford's teammates to drive to the basket
- great locker room guy

The way I see it, we are a better team this year primarily because

- we replaced Kyrie with Kemba (lesser talent, but better team player)
- Hayward is back to his all-star form

If we somehow had both Kemba+Horford, imo we 'd be #1 favorites to win the East (if not the championship).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 03:55:03 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 05:07:47 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
No it did not.

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 05:52:42 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
No, a player like Horford is exactly what this team is missing from being a contender.

A switchable big who is unselfish and can spread the floor.

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 06:15:07 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Losing Kyrie is what heloed, losing Al hurt.

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 08:47:55 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Don't think losing Horford helped but the effect has been lessened due to the team now sharing things around a group of very talented individual players. Plus Theis has stepped up in a way beyond what I and, I suspect, many others expected. It hasn't helped as Horford would still be a perfect fit in this team. Kyrie going has created the opportunity for others to shine.

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 09:12:09 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Losing
Kyrie-helped
Morris-helped
Rozier-helped
Horford-did not help
Baynes-did not help

Okay now that I think about it, losing Horford or Baynes helps a bit because now Williams get more opportunitirs to grow. Losing both probably does not help, but losing 1 probably did.

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 09:29:18 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Losing
Kyrie-helped
Morris-helped
Rozier-helped
Horford-did not help
Baynes-did not help

Okay now that I think about it, losing Horford or Baynes helps a bit because now Williams get more opportunitirs to grow. Losing both probably does not help, but losing 1 probably did.

They'd beaten the 76ers on opening night if Horford was still in green.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 09:32:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
No. I'd argue losing Rozier, Kyrie AND even Morris helped the others. And yes, I know we probably would love to have Morris now that Hayward's likely out for some time, but I feel we got rid of the egos in Kyrie/Rozier, and by losing Morris it allowed Tatum and Brown a lot of opportunities, and they've made the most of it so far.

I think if we have Horford in addition to the team we currently have, we're clear favorites in the East, and maybe a Top-4 team in the entire NBA.

I would have loved to have Morris, but at the same time I don't know if Hayward, Tatum and Brown would have gotten these opportunities if Morris remained on the team. In a way, Rozier also took some minutes away from Jaylen and Smart last season and was mostly a net-negative it seemed. But now, Jaylen is basically a full time starter and Smart is solidly in a 6th-7th man role.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2019, 08:52:22 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
no, I think losing Kyrie/Rozier/Morris helped the other guys. Kyrie was a locker-room cancer who when he got the ball it stuck to his hand. He never really conformed to the ball movement offense.

Morris/Rozier were role-players who didnt know their role....and took about 20 shots between them away from Tatum/Brown/Hayward. Now that ainge cleared those guys and replaced them with guys who may be less talented but know their roles...the shots are going to who they shouldve been going to last year. your top 4 guys. and Kemba is buying in to brads offense.

I think Horford wouldve been willing to take a back seat.

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2019, 09:48:04 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I was think the same.... of course now GH Tatum etc get extra touches without AH but they got many more because Rozier Irving and Moris are gone. 

I think that with AH in the team even if that means a few less touches for the other players we would have gained much more in defense. I can't help thinking how good we would have been had Horford stayed ...

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2019, 11:36:38 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Anytime a great, high usage player leaves, others get more chances to touch the ball.  But as someone pointed out, it wasn't as if Al was a ball dominator. 

This team with Al, or Baynes, would be death to other teams...let's hope they can get there anyway.

Not saying Baynes as good as Al, but Hayward's skills on this particular team means Baynes could be as impactful on wins imo.