Author Topic: It's time to finally dump Hayward!  (Read 10877 times)

Re: It's time to finally dump Hayward!
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2019, 07:37:26 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Longtime Hayward fan here.  I urge caution with the hyperbole, the Cavs are essentially a G-league team.  It's nice to see Hayward play well, but he had good games last season before returning to the norm.  Let's see him put a decent season together before we start talking about all-star appearances.     
Yes.  I missed the game, but watched all the highlights.  Cavs defense on GH was non-existent.

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2019, 08:09:30 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Longtime Hayward fan here.  I urge caution with the hyperbole, the Cavs are essentially a G-league team.  It's nice to see Hayward play well, but he had good games last season before returning to the norm.  Let's see him put a decent season together before we start talking about all-star appearances.     
Yes.  I missed the game, but watched all the highlights.  Cavs defense on GH was non-existent.

I think it is perfectly fair and reasonable to be happy that Hayward is playing much better at the beginning of this season than he did at the beginning of last season.  This projects that he will have a better season overall.  That is great for him and great for the Celtics.

But it is also true that he had some great games last season and was not able to ever kind of keep it going.  Let's see how the consistency is this season.  So far so good though. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 06:03:53 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2019, 08:50:23 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Hayward kicked ass on Tuesday night and will hopefully continue to do so.

With that said, was this thread really necessary? (especially after 1 game)

Seems pretty silly, especially so early in the season.

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2019, 12:01:17 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

True that the Cavs' defense against him was bad, but then again he absolutely killed. If he could do that on the regular against good defense (39 points on 17-20 shooting, 8 assists, 7 boards) he'd be in the running for league MVP. 

I'd say he put up the kind of performance you'd hope for from an all-star having a good night against bad defense.

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2019, 12:19:16 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

True that the Cavs' defense against him was bad, but then again he absolutely killed. If he could do that on the regular against good defense (39 points on 17-20 shooting, 8 assists, 7 boards) he'd be in the running for league MVP. 

I'd say he put up the kind of performance you'd hope for from an all-star having a good night against bad defense.

Haha - if he could average 39/8/7 on 85% shooting, he would be a lock for greatest of all-time.

I, too, was impressed by Hayward's performance. He took what the defense gave him (which was everything) by taking it into the paint and not passing it out because he was so open. I doubt Hayward will ever have it that easy again, but you have to give it to him - he literally made all 16 of those shots. That is some incredible consistency and assertive decision making.

« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2019, 12:51:12 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

Haha - if he could average 39/8/7 on 85% shooting, he would be a lock for greatest of all-time.

I, too, was impressed by Hayward's performance. He took what the defense gave him (which was everything) by taking it into the paint and not passing it out because he was so open. I doubt Hayward will ever have it that easy again, but you have to give it to him - he literally made all 16 of those shots. That is some incredible consistency and assertive decision making.
I agree about the defense but he was still much more agressive than at any point last year. He attacked the paint and rim, not afraid of contact, exploded past the defense a few times and finished a nice alley oop. Forget the numbers, it's about his mindset. Every  good game he had last year was him getting hot from 3 or midrange, he never attacked the basket. I'm not saying his gonna have games like this often, but this whole season he has been a different player than last year and it's good to see he can score inside and out. Looks like he is our best inside finisher apart from Kemba

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2019, 02:56:42 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
What I love about Hayward this year is his ability to get to his spot. (obligatory caveat: so far, we'll see how long it lasts, yadda yadda). He didn't move wherever he wanted last year. Even during those nice games last season it was more about hitting the shot than it was about asserting his physicality on the court by getting by guys, getting into the paint and playing through contact.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2019, 07:36:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If only we'd played the Cavs every game! Then you could discount him averaging 20/7/4 with some merit
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2019, 08:10:41 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Just got off the phone with the a team in Europe they will take him for a guy named Darko. We better jump on this deal. They want us to throw in a couple of million dollars.

« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2019, 08:30:14 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Need to get a trade now before he loses any more value. Pay the couple million and take Darko back.

« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2019, 08:38:50 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Just got off the phone with the a team in Europe they will take him for a guy named Darko. We better jump on this deal. They want us to throw in a couple of million dollars.

« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2019, 09:18:38 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
too bad after that first half the offer for Darko has been pulled. No one is going to want Hayward now. All he does is get to his spots. He cant even settle for what the defense will give him.

« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2019, 10:33:45 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Oh my this guy cannot even hold a post game interview. He needs help from Kemba. Dump him Danny. 8)

« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2019, 10:38:53 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Oh my this guy cannot even hold a post game interview. He needs help from Kemba. Dump him Danny. 8)

Definitely a waste of a max! Now I am hoping we can keep him long term for sure..this season is slowly changing my expectations of what is to come in playoffs...Forgot how good a healthy, confident, selfless Gordon can be...

« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2019, 10:43:10 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Definitely a waste of a max! Now I am hoping we can keep him long term for sure..this season is slowly changing my expectations of what is to come in playoffs...Forgot how good a healthy, confident, selfless Gordon can be...

we never really got to see him do it in Green. Really nice to see.