Author Topic: It's time to finally dump Hayward!  (Read 10880 times)

Re: It's time to finally dump Hayward!
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 12:48:29 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Sadly, someone may read the headline and take this seriously.

Please no. Just, please.

Mike

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2019, 01:03:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I would be curious if people are changing their expectations for us this season based on how Hayward looks?

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2019, 01:13:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I was never one of those clamoring to "get rid" of Hayward but the devil's advocate in me also cautions about getting too giddy with his recent success.  He had some great games last season too.

Realistically, him playing better could make it more likely that he gets traded for a big, in a contrarian sort of way.

How ever it works out, him playing better is better for the Celtics so it is great to see him playing at his full ability.  Good for him.  He had to have worked extremely hard to get back to this point.

I’d take Hayward over any big you could possibly realistically propose on a trade for him.

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2019, 01:23:15 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Seriously, we've given the guy all the time in the world and he just hasn't delivered.

Last night, he almost cost us the game. He scored 16 points in the first quarter and, if he had been able to keep up his pace, he would have had 64 on the game. But he only finished with 39, meaning that he lost out on 25 potential points. It's clear that he simply can't sustain his pace for a full game.

Let's not forget, though, that he also missed three 3-pointers. There's another nine points. I mean, sure, against Cleveland we can afford to have a guy cost us 35 points and still win by six, but will that hold up against the top teams? I doubt it.

He also failed to hustle on the boards. He was tied for third for rebounds last night and out-rebounded by Daniel Theis who only played for 30 minutes versus Hayward's 34. Yet Theis only makes a fraction of what Hayward does!

If Hayward continues on this pace, I simply don't see how we can possibly win with him.*

Mike

*This post was brought to you by someone with nothing better to do. Sponsored by Satire Inc., for when you have a lot free time.

TP to you, Mef. I see what you did there.

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2019, 01:27:21 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I was never one of those clamoring to "get rid" of Hayward but the devil's advocate in me also cautions about getting too giddy with his recent success.  He had some great games last season too.

Realistically, him playing better could make it more likely that he gets traded for a big, in a contrarian sort of way.

How ever it works out, him playing better is better for the Celtics so it is great to see him playing at his full ability.  Good for him.  He had to have worked extremely hard to get back to this point.

It’s just shocking to me that in Boston the majority opinion still is that Tatum is a better player. Right now, a better player. Come on, Boston. With or without this game from Hayward it’s not close. Tatum hopefully gets there. But it’s not close.

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2019, 01:41:27 PM »

Offline DrinkinCelticKool-Aid

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 36

It’s just shocking to me that in Boston the majority opinion still is that Tatum is a better player. Right now, a better player. Come on, Boston. With or without this game from Hayward it’s not close. Tatum hopefully gets there. But it’s not close.

Tatum has a higher ceiling...

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2019, 01:53:00 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1672

He didn't have great games like this, though.  Last year, he'd occasionally put up points when his jumpshot was hot; true.  But it was still clear that he was physically limited and lacking in confidence.

This is entirely different.  He's in the paint on seemingly every possession.  He's taking contact, changing speeds, basically going wherever he wants to go.  The vertical explosion isn't really there, but everything else is.  And based on the first several games, he doesn't appear to need that elevation very much. 

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2019, 01:53:29 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Until Tatum can demonstrate to me that he can lead a team to the Conference Semis (Like GH has done), then I'd humbly hold off on the expectations of Tatum's ceiling.

Do I think JT can get there? Absolutely. But he isn't there now.

I "LOVE" me some Jason Tatum...no doubt about this. But GH is the better player - especially as he rounds back into Utah form.

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2019, 01:56:06 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

Not sure how all of this about Tatum relates to my post.  Tatum and Hayward are comparable players right now in my opinion but Tatum clearly has more upside and a better contract situation.  Hayward may be better for this season, but not necessarily.  You would expect Hayward at 29 to be at the absolute peak of his game.  Tatum is 21 and really just starting to figure everything out.

If there was a draft say for an expansion team, and a team could pick either player and assume either would get a similar 4-year contract, I would pick Tatum.  If the draft were for only one year, it would be close but I think plenty would still pick Tatum.  I disagree that "it is not close".  I think it is very close and could play out either way.

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2019, 01:57:38 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Until Tatum can demonstrate to me that he can lead a team to the Conference Semis (Like GH has done), then I'd humbly hold off on the expectations of Tatum's ceiling.

I "LOVE" me some Jason Tatum...no doubt about this. But GH is the better player - especially as he rounds back into Utah form.

Sorry I know what you meant, but it's sort of irking me lol. It's Jayson not Jason.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2019, 01:59:24 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Sadly, someone may read the headline and take this seriously.

Almost an absolute certainty.
I did, started fuming immediately

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2019, 02:00:08 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

Not sure how all of this about Tatum relates to my post.  Tatum and Hayward are comparable players right now in my opinion but Tatum clearly has more upside and a better contract situation.  Hayward may be better for this season, but not necessarily.  You would expect Hayward at 29 to be at the absolute peak of his game.  Tatum is 21 and really just starting to figure everything out.

If there was a draft say for an expansion team, and a team could pick either player and assume either would get a similar 4-year contract, I would pick Tatum.  If the draft were for only one year, it would be close but I think plenty would still pick Tatum.  I disagree that "it is not close".  I think it is very close and could play out either way.

Whoops. I don’t know why I linked it. I should have just replied generally.

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2019, 02:21:32 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
You couldnt get a bag of donuts for him at this point.

Mmmmm donuts......

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2019, 02:33:40 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
You couldnt get a bag of donuts for him at this point.

How big a bag are we talking about? What if we throw in a year's supply of hair gel?

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2019, 02:37:05 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

I mean I get what you're saying and actually agree that hayward is better right now (although I think it is somewhat close)  but Tatum did technically lead a team to the ECF sooo I don't really like the playoff argument. I mean make the argument on actual skills, not on something with as many confounding factors as playoff success.