Author Topic: Great seeing Javonte Green get playing time  (Read 4133 times)

Great seeing Javonte Green get playing time
« on: November 06, 2019, 11:31:54 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
With all the work Javonte put in over the past few years - playing overseas. And, watching how hard he worked during Summer League and during preseason, it was great seeing him on the court last night. Thought he held his own. Not crazy good, but acceptable.

He wasn't the focus on offense. Yet, the offense flowed smoothly with him on the court.

And, I couldn't help but notice that Cleveland players were reluctant to pass the ball to whomever he was defending. Or, even consider shooting if he was their defender. Perhaps, he's already established a minor reputation for being a pesky defender? Of course, this is conjecture on my part as it's a very limited sample. Time will tell. I'm sure he'll get challenged when playing against better competition. 

Re: Great seeing Javonte Green get playing time
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 07:33:58 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
Another solid outing by Javonte. Anyone feel he might crack the regular rotation anytime soon?

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 08:02:51 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
He has better court sense than Wuannie .  Green follows the ball and play as well as many starters .   Jeff Green used to run a away from the play and contact .  This Green mixes it up with the best of them .

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 08:19:51 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
He alot better than Carsen and Semi
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 08:29:46 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'm happy to see, but not all that surprised. There's a reason Green surprisingly made the roster as he has been really good for us up through pre-season. He also should be able to contribute right away since he isn't just out of college or anything. I doubt he will push through into regular rotation minutes, but people upset that 20 y/o Romeo Langford (just getting over injury) can't get pt over him need to chill. Where was Green at 20 y/o?

Either way, I thought Green deserved the roster spot and it will be interesting to see if he moves up at all in the rotation. He could already be pushing for the 11th spot with Semi, Wanamaker, Poirier, and Langford behind him.

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 08:43:28 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Another solid outing by Javonte. Anyone feel he might crack the regular rotation anytime soon?

When he entered the game I was mostly unfamiliar with him. It immediately became obvious he wasn't some scrub barely hanging onto a roster spot. He smooth, athletic, and can score. I'd like to see more of him. He's also 6-4.

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 09:05:47 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
another?  didn't know he had a first time.

liked him in preseason and hoped he'd stick with the team in some manner this season.  He played well.  I don't expect anything from him since he's behind a number of players on the depth chart but when injuries rear their ugly head this season (and they will), hoping that if he's called upon to take up some minutes that he can be productive. 

Realistic best case scenario for him is that he gives Carsen time to acclimate to the pro game by being a guy who can score off the bench when Carsen isn't feeling it.

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 09:23:27 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I dont put much stock in what a bench guy does against a bad team in blow out minutes, but I suppose him looking good is better than looking bad all things considered.

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 10:44:37 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I think Javonte deserves minutes over Edwards at this point. A better fit on both offense and defense. Maybe things are different in practice but at least in game, Javonte looks like he deserves more.
- LilRip

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 10:58:15 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I think Javonte deserves minutes over Edwards at this point. A better fit on both offense and defense. Maybe things are different in practice but at least in game, Javonte looks like he deserves more.

They do not play the same position. How is his D?

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 01:14:40 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton

He's a bit quirky on defense. Sometimes excellent...other times not so great.

It looks to me he took more chances on defense during the Summer League. He played off his man from time to time which led to a number of deflections and steals.

Now, he's focusing more on staying with his man.  I wish he would switch off and attempt double teaming every so often. Or, even attack a teammate's man (who has the ball) from behind to either block his shot or poke a ball lose - especially when the shot clock is winding down.

My guess is the coach has him on a tight leash - telling him to stay solely with his own man. I was hoping he'd take a page out Thybulle's book and freelance on defense from time to time. He was effective doing it during the Summer League. 

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 09:27:32 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

He's a bit quirky on defense. Sometimes excellent...other times not so great.

It looks to me he took more chances on defense during the Summer League. He played off his man from time to time which led to a number of deflections and steals.

Now, he's focusing more on staying with his man.  I wish he would switch off and attempt double teaming every so often. Or, even attack a teammate's man (who has the ball) from behind to either block his shot or poke a ball lose - especially when the shot clock is winding down.

My guess is the coach has him on a tight leash - telling him to stay solely with his own man. I was hoping he'd take a page out Thybulle's book and freelance on defense from time to time. He was effective doing it during the Summer League.
IMO, this is all coaching responsibility.  It's always curious to me that supreme athletes like Green are sometimes not excellent defenders.  Defense takes a lot of energy (more than offense IMO) and quick changes in direction/momentum.

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 03:44:47 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I loved seeing him going to the rim aggressively. Great minutes from him. Nice to know he's around when he's needed.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 07:46:00 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
Looks like Green is starting to get Semi’s minutes. Edwards too maybe.

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 07:53:58 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
What if JG is secretly really good?