Poll

Who should close games at Center for the C's?

Kanter
5 (10.2%)
Theis
6 (12.2%)
Robert Williams
13 (26.5%)
Grant Williams
15 (30.6%)
Smart
10 (20.4%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Who should close games at Center?  (Read 10609 times)

Re: Who should close games at Center?
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2019, 04:35:38 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Our closing lineup against the raptors was Marcus, Kemba, Jaylen, Jayson, and Gordon. So smart, skilled, and tenacious.

I think the real question is “how will other teams possibly match up with The Celtics death lineup”

Well, we actually ran with Kemba, Jaylen, Jayson, Gordon and GRANT from the 6:30 mark all the way down to the 1:43 mark of that 4th period, before swapping Smart in for Grant.

During that just-under-5-minute stretch, we went from down 94-98 to leading 110-106.   That was with Toronto's starters on the floor:  Lowry+VanVleet+Anunoby+Siakam+Gasol (Ibaka subbed in for Gasol for the tail end of the stretch).

So maybe THAT is our actual 'death lineup'?

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2019, 07:43:09 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Our closing lineup against the raptors was Marcus, Kemba, Jaylen, Jayson, and Gordon. So smart, skilled, and tenacious.

I think the real question is “how will other teams possibly match up with The Celtics death lineup”

Well, we actually ran with Kemba, Jaylen, Jayson, Gordon and GRANT from the 6:30 mark all the way down to the 1:43 mark of that 4th period, before swapping Smart in for Grant.

During that just-under-5-minute stretch, we went from down 94-98 to leading 110-106.   That was with Toronto's starters on the floor:  Lowry+VanVleet+Anunoby+Siakam+Gasol (Ibaka subbed in for Gasol for the tail end of the stretch).

Sure, love me some Grant Williams.
Brad’s got this team in sync, he’ll make the call on who goes out there, and other teams are going to have to try and counter.

Can’t counter teamwork

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2019, 10:30:47 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I don't think there's a simple answer to the below:

The Bucks were too big for the Celtics in the playoffs

Stevens had no answer for the lineups the Bucks trotted out...none.

I saw that too, but I will make a prediction about the Bucks right now--they will be too slow and tired come playoff time unless they make a big move.

Other than Giannis and Bledsoe, their top rotation players are all some of the most unathletic players at their position in the league at this point in their career--Korver, Middleton, Hill, Lopez brothers, Matthews, and Illyasova.

In my opinion, that means a few things: 1) few will be able to run the fast break with Giannis, limiting one of the best advantages Giannis has, 2) They will struggle to defend come playoff time, especially against sharp offenses, and 3) the way to beat them will be to put speed on the court, not size.

Imagine a lineup of Matthews-Korver-Middleton-Lopez-and Giannis trying to keep up with our playmaking wings, Kemba Walker, and Grant Williams. I also don't think that Brook Lopez can hurt teams inside offensively that much anymore, which means we can go small on him compromising our defense much.

I think the Bucks made their moves primarily with Philly in mind, knowing they needed size, but they might have forgotten about us in the process.

Philly, however, provides a unique challenge (to everyone in the NBA, not just the Cs).
Uh he cooked the Rockets inside after Giannis fouled out in the season opener. Not enamoured with putting a PJ Tucker clone in Grant Williams on Lopez (Lopez only really got going because Houston was trotting out their tuckwagon lineup with PJ playing C).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2019, 10:49:15 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Based on the last few games, Grant Williams does not look out of place at all defensively.

He makes for a sufficient defensive power forward and in a pinch small ball center.

We can always bring in Timelord if we need as much length as possible or even double down by adding some Taco to the mix.

But Grant Williams is quickly becoming one of our better defensive players with his combination of strength, size, hustle, and basketball iq.

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2019, 11:45:14 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
So far this season a couple trends are emerging at C position

Daniel Theis has been awesome defensively, leads the league in block %, and in general looks great switching onto smaller guys. He's still gonna get bulldozed by bigger guys. He has been okay rebounding the ball with a total rebound percentage of about 16% which would be something like 25th in the league. He hasn't provided a whole lot offensively shooting the ball as he's below 20% from 3 and below 40% from 2.

Robert Williams does some ice things like defensive rebound (over 20%), assist (over 15%) and block some shots, and provide some pressure on the rim in the form of rim running and lobs catching. He does some not so great things like turn the ball over too much, foul, and get out of position. But those mistakes are mistakes young guys often make, and I think can be ironed out in time. He deserves minutes, I think he will get them, he's a candidate to be the closing center full time by the end of the year.

Grant Williams is clearly a smart player, he is a pretty decent passer with the ability to hold his ground in the paint. He isnt nearly the rim protector that Theis or RW are, his rebound percentage of only 7.7% is very low for a big, he hasn't hit a three pointer yet and is pretty much a non factor offensively outside of 3 feet which is problematic for a guy who is 6'6. He looks like a rotation guy right now.

Kanter hasn't played enough for any sort of evaluation.

Poirer clearly isnt in the rotation right now, if he can't get minutes when Kanter is out dont see how he gets any going forward.

Smart is Smart, looks good defending bigger guys although when a guy gets deep post position they are able to just shoot over him. Having him play Center leaves you weak on the defensive rebounding. But he does give you the ability to go five out and space the floor with quick guys who can pass and defend at every position, and for some opponents thats gonna be the best bet.

If peoples opinion has changed feel free to change your vote.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 12:04:03 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2019, 12:39:09 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Marcus Smart, obviously.

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2019, 12:51:48 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
The truthful answer.

Probably somebody who currently isn't on the roster.

The realistic answer.

Kanter or Robert Williams.

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2019, 01:06:44 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Marcus Smart, obviously.

Obviously.

Why wouldn't our center be 6'4?

« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2019, 01:54:01 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Marcus Smart, obviously.

Obviously.

The best "stretch 6" in the game.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2019, 02:27:05 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Marcus Smart, obviously.

Obviously.

The best "stretch 6" in the game.

Lol...I've heard this mentioned and I have no clue what it means

« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2019, 02:28:17 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Brad’s got this team in sync, he’ll make the call on who goes out there, and other teams are going to have to try and counter.

Can’t counter teamwork

If only Grant can develop a nice mid-range shot. That would be a nice cog in his game. 

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2019, 03:18:05 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Can’t counter teamwork

If only Grant can develop a nice mid-range shot. That would be a nice cog in his game.

Should be doable. He looks to be a hard worker and his form looks okay.

« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2019, 04:20:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Smart with :) elevator shoes...

« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2019, 09:35:49 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Robert Williams had a big game tonite--doing what they need the most in the middle. 6 blocks.

I'd like to see him start--to put more D into the starting lineup against the opponents' starters.

The kid has improved a lot this year, and deserves a shot.

Guys like Kanter and Theis really aren't going to add much to what this team needs in the middle.

« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2019, 09:47:56 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Robert Williams had a big game tonite--doing what they need the most in the middle. 6 blocks.

I'd like to see him start--to put more D into the starting lineup against the opponents' starters.

The kid has improved a lot this year, and deserves a shot.

Guys like Kanter and Theis really aren't going to add much to what this team needs in the middle.
Not sure how you can say that.

Theis has played fairly well. He's been a good defender, just isn't a good finisher.