Poll

Who should close games at Center for the C's?

Kanter
5 (10.2%)
Theis
6 (12.2%)
Robert Williams
13 (26.5%)
Grant Williams
15 (30.6%)
Smart
10 (20.4%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Who should close games at Center?  (Read 10610 times)

Re: Who should close games at Center?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2019, 07:09:43 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I did not vote because I believe Ainge will still make a move on or before the trade deadline.

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2019, 07:54:55 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Still trying to figure out why 6'4 Marcus Smart is in this conversation

Has he suddenly grown 6 inches?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 08:42:48 AM by gpap »

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2019, 08:15:25 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Still trying to figure out why 6'4 Marcus Smart is in this conversation?

Really it’s Jaylen Brown when Smart is on the floor with the other starters, but Jaylen wasn’t in the poll, so I think a lot of us chose Smart instead.

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2019, 08:26:22 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I did not vote because I believe Ainge will still make a move on or before the trade deadline.

You can think that, but what expiring contract center who makes no more than about $12 million is he bringing on?  At least give a list of plausible centers who he could get.

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2019, 08:38:15 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

You can think that, but what expiring contract center who makes no more than about $12 million is he bringing on?  At least give a list of plausible centers who he could get.

Celts can execute a 4 for 1 trade by January.

Tristan Thompson is a good candidate because he has an expiring contract and I don't think the Cavs will give him big money after the season.

An offer of Theis, Ojeleye, Poirier, Kanter, and a draft pick works for a trade for Thompson.
I think it will depend on what kind of pick the Celts offer the Cavs.

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2019, 08:39:50 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Tristan Thompson is a good candidate because he has an expiring contract and I don't think the Cavs will give him big money after the season.

An offer of Theis, Ojeleye, Poirier, Kanter, and a draft pick works for a trade for Thompson.

4-for-1 midseason trades are simply not realistic.

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2019, 08:43:09 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

It can be a 3-team trade.

Celts only need to come up with 14m to make the trade for Thompson's 18.5m.

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2019, 08:46:02 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I think the two crown jewels would be Steven Adams or Andre Drummond. If we get one of those guys, we can complete with Philly and maybe even Milwaukee (imagine the wars between Drummond and Embiid). Adams could be on the move. No speculation on Drummond, but this is the last year of his contract (unless he exercises his player option, which I don't think he will.) If Detroit is out of the mix, and Ainge makes a good offer, I think the Celts COULD get him.

But that's still a ways away and Ainge hasn't made a big trade in a long time, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Andre or Steven are guys who can be our centers for the long-term. By the way, I think Drummond is better than Embiid.

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2019, 08:50:22 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

I think the two crown jewels would be Steven Adams or Andre Drummond. If we get one of those guys, we can complete with Philly and maybe even Milwaukee (imagine the wars between Drummond and Embiid). Adams could be on the move. No speculation on Drummond, but this is the last year of his contract (unless he exercises his player option, which I don't think he will.) If Detroit is out of the mix, and Ainge makes a good offer, I think the Celts COULD get him.

But that's still a ways away and Ainge hasn't made a big trade in a long time, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Andre or Steven are guys who can be our centers for the long-term. By the way, I think Drummond is better than Embiid.

The problem with that is it would cost the Celts Hayward or Smart.

I think Hayward and Smart are important players the Celts need in the playoffs.

Tristan Thompson is not on the same level as Drummond, but he's good enough for what the Celts need this season.

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2019, 08:59:51 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Tristan Thompson is not on the same level as Drummond, but he's good enough for what the Celts need this season.

True, but I'm thinking championship run. Are the Celts a championship caliber team with Thompson? I suppose they could be. Thompson is a pretty good rebounder. I just think at some point the Celts will need a long-term center, which is why I bring up Drummond and Adams where I'm assuming TT will be a rental (unless Ainge can re-sign him a to a two-year deal or something)

Of course, Rob Williams or maybe even Tacko could also be our long-term solution at center. Only issue with Williams is he's only 6'8.

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2019, 09:14:59 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I voted Robert for early in the season...then as the year goes on if Grant continues his recent play, Grant.

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2019, 09:15:12 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

True, but I'm thinking championship run. Are the Celts a championship caliber team with Thompson? I suppose they could be. Thompson is a pretty good rebounder. I just think at some point the Celts will need a long-term center, which is why I bring up Drummond and Adams where I'm assuming TT will be a rental (unless Ainge can re-sign him a to a two-year deal or something)

Of course, Rob Williams or maybe even Tacko could also be our long-term solution at center. Only issue with Williams is he's only 6'8.

Yes, TT is for the short-term solution.

I think Rob Williams can be the long term solution.
RWill doesn't look 6-8 when he's playing Center.

TT will give us not only rebounding, he will also give us shot-blocking and defense.

If the price to pay is guys like Theis, fillers, and a draft pick, not the Memphis pick, I think it's worth it.

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2019, 09:16:11 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
I voted Robert for early in the season...then as the year goes on if Grant continues his recent play, Grant.

I think if Ainge can't upgrade the Center position then I agree with you that Grant Williams will play a big role for the Celts in the playoffs.

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2019, 09:54:09 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Still trying to figure out why 6'4 Marcus Smart is in this conversation?

Really it’s Jaylen Brown when Smart is on the floor with the other starters, but Jaylen wasn’t in the poll, so I think a lot of us chose Smart instead.

Ya I worded it as Smart because its I assume the other four guys in the closing lineup are locked in, so really its a question of who is the fifth guy is. But if its Smart I assume basically all the wings  will at some point end up guarding bigs.

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2019, 09:57:48 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

It can be a 3-team trade.

Celts only need to come up with 14m to make the trade for Thompson's 18.5m.

The point is trade 4 guys for 1 guy almost never happens because it requires massive roster turnover mid season when most rosters are locked in. Saying it ca be a three team trade only makes it more complicated because now you need to convince at least one additional team to believe the trade in in their interest while also increasing the number of overall moving parts.

In short, a 4 for 1 trade is very, very hard to do midseason. For that reason its better to look at options that can be had by combining no more than say two contracts. Theis and Kanter for instance would get you to around 12 million in returning salary.

But all that aside off roster options are not presented, I made another thread about that. This is a thread about who on our roster should be closing games because even if we make a move it likely wont be till the deadline and there are a lot of games until then.