Poll

Who should close games at Center for the C's?

Kanter
5 (10.2%)
Theis
6 (12.2%)
Robert Williams
13 (26.5%)
Grant Williams
15 (30.6%)
Smart
10 (20.4%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Who should close games at Center?  (Read 10595 times)

Who should close games at Center?
« on: October 28, 2019, 12:29:31 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
So three games in given what we've seen so far whom do you think should close games at center for the Celtics given a 1-4 of Kemba, Brown, Hayward, Tatum? The actual answer probably varies by matchup, but against and average team with an average Center who do you think is out best bet? Your on roster options are...

Kanter- Brings some low post play, can bang with bruisers in the post, elite rebounding. Terrible defender in space.

Theis- Positionally solid, can shoot and switch okay. Small, not much value offensively.

Robert Williams-Blocks and lobs all day, also seems solid in switches. Also pretty god passer. Will make some young guys errors and fouls a bit too much.

Grant Williams-Good passer, strong, really smart, makes plays, seems like he can guard in space. Doesn't rebound much, short, hasn't hit a three yet.

Smart- Just makes plays. Hits threes now. Our emotional leader. Best defender overall defender. But not really a cente, makes the C's very small.

Re: Who should close games at Center?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 12:46:52 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Team USA center Jaylen Brown! (Voted for smart)

Really it depends game by game and opponent by opponent. I liked what I saw from the lineup that closed the Toronto game in that situation against that team and think it could work well in other cases too.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 01:18:42 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
For now, I vote Kanter or Robert.

By the end of the season, it could be someone who's not even on the team right now.

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 03:27:01 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Theis or Grant. Maybe kanter at times but he can be exploited in pressure situations. If Theis is not playing bad he could be the default guy. can shoot, can defend.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 03:33:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Grant Williams

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 03:51:49 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I don’t think there is a real answer to this question. It’s going to depend on the matchup. For example, against Toronto, the Smart/Walker/Brown/Tatum/Hayward lineup worked very well to close that game out. That lineup wouldn’t work against Philly or the Bucks for example. It’s going to be a rotating door depending on matchups.

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 03:52:39 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
While at times it may depend on matchups/game situation, I tend to prefer our 5 best players being in the court together at the end of the game.  And those 5 are Walker, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, and Smart.

Maybe against some elite, high-usage bigs, such as Embiid or Anthony Davis, it will make to utilize a traditional big.  But on the whole, give me our best vs. their best.

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 04:05:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
SUPER SMALL - Smart

PLAIN OLD SMALL - Grant

TRADITIONAL 5 REQUIRED - Kanter
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 04:21:02 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
While at times it may depend on matchups/game situation, I tend to prefer our 5 best players being in the court together at the end of the game.  And those 5 are Walker, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, and Smart.

Maybe against some elite, high-usage bigs, such as Embiid or Anthony Davis, it will make to utilize a traditional big.  But on the whole, give me our best vs. their best.

I'm in this boat.  I think those are the 5 that should be out there.  Size be [dang]ed most of the time.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 04:46:19 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Ya off the top of my head its those 2 as well as Jokic, Towns and probably Vucevic who are skilled enough to make that lineup pay. By my count the C's have 13 games against those players this year.

Maybe you could say Indi gives the C's problems simply because they might play two bigs and slaughter you on the glass, thats 3 more matchups. Maybe the same problem if Drummond/Blake are both healthy for the pistons thats 3 more matchups. Gobert doesn't particularly scare yo on the offensive end. Kristaps is a perimeter big most  of the time. So we're talking like 19/79 games where size might be an issue? Even if you through in those KP and Gobert games thats only 23/79.

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 05:53:13 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
we had one.  but Danny let em go ... :-X

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 06:02:33 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Agreed, with the added caveat that if one of our bigs is playing great AND one of the top 5 guys is having a bad game, I would put in the big. Most of the time, though, kill them with speed/perimeter pressure and make them try to beat you with their size. A lot of teams won't be able to
I'm bitter.

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2019, 06:10:11 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
There's more to it than one game against the Knicks, as the Knicks aren't very good, but, GW seems to be legit on his defensive credentials.

He set records for foul shooting in college, thus, he could take the inbounds pass if it happened that way.

He isn't a great big thumper that lacks quickness. GW is quick enough.

He's way too small to play against good bigs, but, in a pinch he is superb at defensive positioning when up against those types. Kind of a specialty for him.

Not a deep shooter, but, the Celtics have plenty of them.

Smart quarterbacks the rookies when they're on the court. It's a site to see and I think those two guys can make opponents miserable enough at the end of games to do the trick.

Like our other starters? GW plays big in big moments (in college) hopefully, this will continue here.

Stevens loves players like GW.

GW, next to the other choices? Looks like a laser beam and he's not, which doesn't speak well of the other choices.

Theis is great except he's never really played at the end of an important game because he just isn't wired for it.

I hope GW's big brother, keeps getting better, but, RWII still fouls too much.

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2019, 06:08:37 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
It’s not ideal but I think on most occasions and with the current roster, Theis. Kanter May play more minutes and the young bigs may prove better in the long run but I would want Theis at the end of games for his positional play and defence.

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2019, 06:46:41 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think it depends on the situation, who is hot, who is matching up well, who does not have foul trouble.  Exactly the way it goes when you have center by committee.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 07:01:48 AM by Celtics4ever »