Author Topic: Jaylen Brown looks like a 2-way star  (Read 38263 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown looks like a 2-way star
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2019, 02:30:21 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I like him.  He’s been aggressive.  But I still don’t see a star on offense.  He’s taking advantage of attention elsewhere which is good on him.  But he wouldn’t be able to handle the attention on him because of his limited offensive repertoire.
I can't disagree more with your statement, from what I've rewatched (I couldn't wake up for the games, but I did rewatch the games) his decision making and offensive skills are showing signs of what a star on offense has, while your lad Tatum has the skills but not the body and mind to use them.
His decision making has clearly improved.  And he's playing well; I'm glad Brown is on the team.  But being an important contributor to a good team and being a star are two different things.  His offense is still relatively rudimentary. 

If he had to be the alpha on a team I have no doubt he would put up some decent stats.  But that would be stats on a bad team.  He obviously isn't there yet but I don't think he'll ever reach star status.

Hope he proves me wrong.

I think he is in the process of doing so.
Sure.  But he has a ways to go.

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2019, 02:31:46 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I like him.  He’s been aggressive.  But I still don’t see a star on offense.  He’s taking advantage of attention elsewhere which is good on him.  But he wouldn’t be able to handle the attention on him because of his limited offensive repertoire.
I can't disagree more with your statement, from what I've rewatched (I couldn't wake up for the games, but I did rewatch the games) his decision making and offensive skills are showing signs of what a star on offense has, while your lad Tatum has the skills but not the body and mind to use them.
His decision making has clearly improved.  And he's playing well; I'm glad Brown is on the team.  But being an important contributor to a good team and being a star are two different things.  His offense is still relatively rudimentary. 

If he had to be the alpha on a team I have no doubt he would put up some decent stats.  But that would be stats on a bad team.  He obviously isn't there yet but I don't think he'll ever reach star status.

Hope he proves me wrong.

Sure. But most young players who are highly rated are also in the same boat.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2019, 02:48:02 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Jaylen is still making mistakes, but let's hope this is one area where the Kemba > Kyrie effect really kicks in. He needs to be allowed to make those mistakes and grow w/o being torn down by his own PG. I'm hopeful Jaylen will grow up a lot more as a player with the camaraderie this year.

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2019, 02:49:44 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Jaylen has looked really good.

It's a 3 game sample, though, so hard to draw conclusions about what it is that he's doing better and what is sustainable.

Personally, I'm seeing a continuation of a lot of trends that have been apparent to me in Jaylen's game since late November of last year.  His shot profile and overall approach to offense morphed to be very 'at rim' focused from that point and everything else in his game has developed around that.   And that continued through the playoffs, Team USA and the Celtic's pre-season.   So to me, it's a lot more than a 3 game sample.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2019, 03:25:28 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Now, if he could start making free throws.
Guess that goes for the entire team.

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2019, 05:01:24 PM »

Offline ViolentGhandi

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
the biggest improofment is that Jahlen now looks for the contact und is still able to finish. He had 3 3point plays in the game againt NY I believe. Thats what stars at his position do. The abuse you by scoring on you even after beeing fouled on. It also shows his convidence right now.

Also I liked how he was lighting fast with the ball on the one fastbreak againt two guys. I was leaving them in the dust....
His performance in the last 2 games was pretty close to all-star level. Hope he can keep up. Ohh and I hope Tatum stops forcing the issue. He should let the game come to him more.

TimeLord needs a thread two. He looks much improofed as well. He now can set picks, good passing, rebounds better, until the NY game he was into the D - not losing his man. If he can stick to his guy on D he looks like a really servicable guy and making a case for big rotation minutes. Did I mention that he is a freak.... he can dunk on everyone :D

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2019, 06:35:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
that PNR play with Grant Williams was perfect

Ol Jaylen would have probably tried to score it himself

the extra shot blocking efforts are also nice

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2019, 08:31:13 PM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152

Hope he proves me wrong.

The Tatum - Brown double standard drives me freakin insane.
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2019, 09:42:53 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
The pace of this offense has really helped him. It's the little things he's showing improvement on. Like he has a hesitation move now, an actual effective stop and go, defenders are biting on his up takes too, he's attempting nifty little passes in traffic and making most of them. The game has slowed down for him, his reading of the game is so much better.

He's able to tell when the paint has closed down completely and he doesn't force anymore. In-stead he dumps it to an open player or quickly rises above everyone for a jump shot in the paint, only lately he's hitting them.

His quickness, length, and athleticism, plus his desire are making him a tough defender.

Now that his confidence is up, his free throw shooting should improve too.

Keep your foot on the gas Mr. Brown.

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2019, 09:44:32 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Jaylen is playing in Maine?

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2019, 09:39:07 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Isn't that why we drafted Grant Williams.  Grant looked really good against the Knicks.  He was always around the ball and making positive plays happen.  He wasn't scoring a lot but he didn't need to.  He just needs to get the ball and then give it to one of our scorers of which we have plenty in Tatum, Brown, Hayward, and Walker.

As for Jaylen Brown.  Yes, I see a definite increase in the sharpness of his game, the tightness of his handle, and even his playmaking in the open court.  He also has developed some close range game to score easily after separating with his superior athleticism.

Early days, but it looks like DA made the right move in giving Brown the big extension.  And rather than make him complacent, Jaylen actually looks motivated to earn his big new paychecks.

The team is playing much less selfish ball with Kyrie out of the mix.  The ball is now flowing from player to player.  And against the Knicks the sheer amount of talent differential just overwhelmed them after a while.

Celtics are very talented.  And this is with Langford hardly even playing.  I'm looking to see Grant Williams play more 'dirty minutes' where he does necessary things to help our team with his big 240 lb frame.

and that is a big problem, especially as the season goes on.  Brown isn't big enough to take that abuse consistently and perform consistently while doing it.  It will start to wear on him.  The team needs a real PF.

Brown's Playmaking and Handles
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2019, 10:57:15 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iryBlnGgb9M

Brown's handles and ability to make plays going to the rim have been awesome so far this season. I think he is taking the leap into one of the premier players on the wing in the NBA. Just watch these highlights. Watch how the ball is on a string. Watch how he makes multiple moves. Watch how the game has slowed down for him on drives.

One of the gripes against Brown has been his playmaking and handles. People have consistently said that he didn't have the ability to make plays, or that he is a straight line driver, not a creator. I think we all saw hints, but he couldn't consistently put it together.

Now he is putting it together. It's beautiful.

Mods, I couldn't find a thread to post this. So merge if you deem fit.

Re: Brown's Playmaking and Handles
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2019, 10:58:48 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iryBlnGgb9M

Brown's handles and ability to make plays going to the rim have been awesome so far this season. I think he is taking the leap into one of the premier players on the wing in the NBA. Just watch these highlights. Watch how the ball is on a string. Watch how he makes multiple moves. Watch how the game has slowed down for him on drives.

One of the gripes against Brown has been his playmaking and handles. People have consistently said that he didn't have the ability to make plays, or that he is a straight line driver, not a creator. I think we all saw hints, but he couldn't consistently put it together.

Now he is putting it together. It's beautiful.

Mods, I couldn't find a thread to post this. So merge if you deem fit.

Brown is a very hard worker and has gotten better year after year! His ceiling is so high!

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2019, 11:05:15 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Brown has been amazing so far this season, I posted a first quarter tracking of our three wings in the Toronto game thread and Jaylen was incredible.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2019, 11:09:34 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Totally agree.  It’s fun to watch.  He made 9 of 10 free throws too.