Author Topic: Anonymous NBA coaches poll: Who are the league’s best defenders? (Smart is)  (Read 2453 times)

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Aldridge: Is @smart_MS3 that good defensively? Yes, per NBA head coaches & assistants, who were surveyed by our @JonKrawczynski & @JoshuaBRobbins to pick the first & second-team all-defense squads this season in our anonymous poll. Results in @TheAthleticNBA

But Smart’s name was often mentioned first by coaches when they were asked about their All-Defensive First Team. He is an intense, rugged, determined defender who can guard multiple positions.

“He’s just that good,” one coach said. “My first pick without hesitation.”

Another coach said of Smart: “I really love his intensity, his willingness to guard anybody. And he’s only 6-foot-3. You’ve got to admire somebody like that who sacrifices his body and takes charges. When there’s a loose ball, and if it’s our player or another player that’s going to get it, I’m sorry, Marcus Smart is coming away with that ball.”

Little upset at how Patrick Beverly is given more votes than Smart on 2nd team, and DPOY votes. I know Smart's defense was meh towards the end of the season before COVID-19, but he was still pretty solid.

Fire & Ice, Tacko Squad, The Jays, or whatever you wanna call them are getting some love.

• Jaylen Brown, Boston (23 years old): He received one first-team vote, two second-team mentions and a third-place vote for DPOY. “He could have easily gotten my vote,” one coach said. “He’s right there.” His teammate, Jayson Tatum, got plenty of love as well and gives the Celtics one of the best young tandems in the league.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 05:50:19 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
List looks about right.

Additionally - Marcus Smart - out of that ENTIRE list - is MOST likely to do something out of the ordinary....something extraordinary - to help his team WIN.

It is not just about getting a charge...getting a steal...

The dude will out-rebound players a FOOT taller than him....getting in the paint and mixing it up with reckless abandon...

Diving for loose balls.....tipping a pass to a player through an IMPOSSIBLE seam....

He has a MEAN streak but I think he's gotten better with keeping himself together.

If it's a close game and he's on the floor you can count on him to do SOMETHING....ANYTHING...to get his team the win. He has demonstrated this un-teachable trait over the last several years......

This is a GIFT.

Marcus Smart has the ENTIRE list above BEAT in this trait....

Toss in his IMPROVED three point shooting and he is a true x-factor - especially late in a game.

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
In a vacuum, gimme Thybulle over Simmons at the backcourt. Obviously, Thybulle wasn't a regular starter for the Sixers, hence he won't be selected in the all-defensive teams. I'd also include Dunn and Isaac in the second team.

Smart - Thybulle - Kawhi - Giannis - Gobert
Beverley  - Dunn - Isaac  - Davis - Bam

I was contemplating to include BroLo, but I'm not a fan of his defensive game. The way I see it, he's far too slow to play D on the perimeter.

BroLo had an unbelievable season as a rim protector. Imo, he wouldn't have been able to concentrate on that aspect if he weren't playing next to Giannis.

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I generally agree with 1st team selection.
Still, it is hard to see that a defender of AD's caliber is on the 2nd team.
If I had one swap I'd put him in for Gobert, due to his better defensive versatility.
But as the best rim protector in the league, Rudy has a legit claim for the 1st team.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'm not sure Isaac played enough to be considered for the top defenders in the NBA. I also think that Bam is a bit overrated on defense. He has a lot of versatility and counting stats, but I think his defense is still more potential than actual. I have not been concerned about him when we played the Heat, at all. I thought he was pretty badly as a help defender or on-ball defender.

Although I don't think they deserve top 10 consideration, I really do think you can make the case for Tatum and Brown shortly after the top 10.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 09:23:47 AM by DefenseWinsChamps »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
I'm not sure Isaac played enough to be considered for the top defenders in the NBA.
Yeah, Thybulle didn't play enough either (cause he was a backup). I just ranked my top 4 guards, top 4 forwards and top 2 Centers irrespective of whether they played enough or not.

As for Bam, I love his defensive versatility. He can switch onto pretty much anybody!

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'm not sure Isaac played enough to be considered for the top defenders in the NBA.
Yeah, Thybulle didn't play enough either (cause he was a backup). I just ranked my top 4 guards, top 4 forwards and top 2 Centers irrespective of whether they played enough or not.

As for Bam, I love his defensive versatility. He can switch onto pretty much anybody!

I know you do. :) I think we already had a discussion like this in the mock off-season thread. Like I said, I think he has versatility, but in practice its a little more potential than actual at this point.

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Aldridge: Is @smart_MS3 that good defensively? Yes, per NBA head coaches & assistants, who were surveyed by our @JonKrawczynski & @JoshuaBRobbins to pick the first & second-team all-defense squads this season in our anonymous poll. Results in @TheAthleticNBA

But Smart’s name was often mentioned first by coaches when they were asked about their All-Defensive First Team. He is an intense, rugged, determined defender who can guard multiple positions.

“He’s just that good,” one coach said. “My first pick without hesitation.”

Another coach said of Smart: “I really love his intensity, his willingness to guard anybody. And he’s only 6-foot-3. You’ve got to admire somebody like that who sacrifices his body and takes charges. When there’s a loose ball, and if it’s our player or another player that’s going to get it, I’m sorry, Marcus Smart is coming away with that ball.”

Little upset at how Patrick Beverly is given more votes than Smart on 2nd team, and DPOY votes. I know Smart's defense was meh towards the end of the season before COVID-19, but he was still pretty solid.

Fire & Ice, Tacko Squad, The Jays, or whatever you wanna call them are getting some love.

• Jaylen Brown, Boston (23 years old): He received one first-team vote, two second-team mentions and a third-place vote for DPOY. “He could have easily gotten my vote,” one coach said. “He’s right there.” His teammate, Jayson Tatum, got plenty of love as well and gives the Celtics one of the best young tandems in the league.

To be fair, Beverly only got more 2nd team votes because Smart had 22 first team votes. Literally every team had him as either 1st or 2nd team

The DPOY votes are bull, though
I'm bitter.

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
List looks about right.

Additionally - Marcus Smart - out of that ENTIRE list - is MOST likely to do something out of the ordinary....something extraordinary - to help his team WIN.

It is not just about getting a charge...getting a steal...

The dude will out-rebound players a FOOT taller than him....getting in the paint and mixing it up with reckless abandon...

Diving for loose balls.....tipping a pass to a player through an IMPOSSIBLE seam....

He has a MEAN streak but I think he's gotten better with keeping himself together.

If it's a close game and he's on the floor you can count on him to do SOMETHING....ANYTHING...to get his team the win. He has demonstrated this un-teachable trait over the last several years......

This is a GIFT.

Marcus Smart has the ENTIRE list above BEAT in this trait....

Toss in his IMPROVED three point shooting and he is a true x-factor - especially late in a game.

I agree with this, but he is also more likely to get torched, too than most of the other elite defenders here. There are a fairly large number of point guards in this league who don't have much trouble scoring on him in bunches.

If he's off the ball or in the paint, he makes more amazing defensive plays than anyone. He's not as impressive on the ball, especially against better scorers.

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Monkhouse...TP for basketball post.

Smart is a "money" player. He makes more key plays late in games than most of the top defensive players. He "knows" the guys he's playing against. Their tendencies, strengths and weaknesses.

He is also tops at getting into an opponent's head...this isn't just through trash talk or reputation...the other guys respect Smart's presence on the court and alter their game to protect the ball...because they need to.

As was quoted by some of the coaches in Monkhouse' post. He wants the ball more than the other guy. 

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Gobert=best rim protector.
Giannis=best help defender.
Smart=best on ball defender.

AD=blend of Gobert and Giannis.
Kawhi=blend of Smart and Giannis.

Any of these 5 can get best defender but I lean towards Smart due to his impact despite his size and his higher ability to turn it up in crucial moments.

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Any of these 5 can get best defender but I lean towards Smart due to his impact despite his size and his higher ability to turn it up in crucial moments.
Imo, the best on-ball defender is Kawhi.

Smart is unbelievably strong for his size. I would argue he's the most switchable guard. He can defend pretty much anybody from PGs to small ball PFs/Centers.

As a rule of thumb, the more strength a player gains, the less explosive he becomes. When it comes to staying in front of undersized explosive guards, gimme Beverley/De'Anthony Melton/prime Bradley over Smart.

Btw, Melton is a pest on D! He reminds me of Bradley:

- better ball handler
- better passer
- unlike Bradley, he can switch on bigger opponents

Bradley in his prime was probably a better on-ball defender. He's also a better shooter.

I bet Melton will make the all-defensive teams in the future.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Smart is unbelievably strong for his size. I would argue he's the most switchable guard. He can defend pretty much anybody from PGs to small ball PFs/Centers.

As a rule of thumb, the more strength a player gains, the less explosive he becomes. When it comes to staying in front of undersized explosive guards, gimme Beverley/De'Anthony Melton/prime Bradley over Smart.

- better ball handler
- better passer

Bradley in his prime was probably a better on-ball defender. He's also a better shooter.

Melton is like a combination of Smart and Bradley. Similar to Bradley on defence, except IMO worse (although he has worse coaching, to his credit), and similarly to a young Marcus Smart, he can't shoot to save his life.

My favourite little defender (that doesn't get talked about) is Jevon Carter. He was one of my favourite college players ever, and I really wanted us to take him, so I'm glad to see him getting some game time. He is nearly 25 though, lol
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

- better ball handler
- better passer

I agree with this. And in the playoffs switchability I think will be more important because teams will run more plays to get your best defender out of their best player. This is why Rozier cost us so much in that playoff run against cleveland. He's too lazy fighting through screens so he ends up on Lebron a lot and its automatic 2. When its Smart you can be [dang] sure the guy has to work hard for his points.