Author Topic: IT's comeback in Denver comes to halt  (Read 5671 times)

IT's comeback in Denver comes to halt
« on: March 13, 2019, 04:20:35 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://theathletic.com/865972/2019/03/13/why-michael-malone-changed-his-rotation-and-what-it-means-for-the-nuggets-down-the-stretch/

More time without playing basketball

The former All-Star will have his playing time sharply reduced as coach Michael Malone trims the Nuggets‘ rotation for the rest of the season.

Thomas has appeared in just nine games since returning last month after his latest hip surgery. He is averaging 8.6 PPG, but is shooting just 37.3% from the field and 27.3% from 3-point range.

Malone broke the news to Thomas before Tuesday’s game.

“You definitely talk to him, and I will keep that conversation between myself and IT,” Malone said. “Not an easy conversation, but that’s my job. It’s never about Isaiah or any individual. It’s about what’s best for our team. I made the decision to shorten the rotation, only play eight guys in the first quarter, and I’m going to continue to do that for the time being. Sixteen games to go, I’m trying to find a rhythm and a rotation that I feel like will give us the best chance to win now and into the playoffs.”

There’s an opening when scary terry leaves next year

Re: IT out of nuggets rotation
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 04:24:24 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Poor guy. Just snakebit since the end of his time here. Hope he gets a chance to shine in the playoffs.

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 04:25:55 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Poor guy. Just snakebit since the end of his time here. Hope he gets a chance to shine in the playoffs.
true but he chose a bad situation because the nuggets are loaded with great guards. It was always going to be hard to crack that lineup

If he had gone somewhere like Washington, I think it would be a different story. Not saying Washington offered, but looking in hindsight they could use a pg now

IT's comeback in Denver comes to halt
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 04:28:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/3/13/18263930/isaiah-thomas-denver-nuggets-rotation

The Thomas experiment didn’t last long, and, really, it probably should have been even shorter. The Nuggets are a well-oiled machine that runs on a combination of chemistry, continuity, and young talent. They have a system that sets them up to be a premier offensive team. Thomas didn’t quite fit into that system: In the nine games he played, the Nuggets went 5-4, and he was minus-21 on the court. Denver’s net rating went from plus-5.4 to minus-5.6 when he played; offensively, they were 17 points per 100 possessions better without him. Thomas also took away minutes from Monte Morris, whose growth as a sophomore has helped keep the Nuggets afloat through injuries.

This season the Nuggets have prided themselves on ball movement, and Thomas has long been more of a ball-stopper. Denver has turned Nikola Jokic’s passing style into a modus operandi, leaning further into it as Jokic has evolved from a 41st overall pick to a pudgy basketball wizard. On a team like the scrappy 2016-17 Celtics, it was a blessing that Thomas was an effective high-usage player, but on a team like the Nuggets, that tendency is more of a curse. Before Denver’s game against the Lakers, Malone talked about how unless the team completes 300 passes in a game, it’s not playing “Nuggets basketball.” Before Thomas made his way back onto the court, Denver averaged 308 passes a game, good for a top-10 mark in the league. Afterward, that number dipped to 283, a bottom-10 mark. 

Sorry to hear things in Denver didn't work out.

Re: IT's comeback in Denver comes to halt
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 04:32:47 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/3/13/18263930/isaiah-thomas-denver-nuggets-rotation

The Thomas experiment didn’t last long, and, really, it probably should have been even shorter. The Nuggets are a well-oiled machine that runs on a combination of chemistry, continuity, and young talent. They have a system that sets them up to be a premier offensive team. Thomas didn’t quite fit into that system: In the nine games he played, the Nuggets went 5-4, and he was minus-21 on the court. Denver’s net rating went from plus-5.4 to minus-5.6 when he played; offensively, they were 17 points per 100 possessions better without him. Thomas also took away minutes from Monte Morris, whose growth as a sophomore has helped keep the Nuggets afloat through injuries.

This season the Nuggets have prided themselves on ball movement, and Thomas has long been more of a ball-stopper. Denver has turned Nikola Jokic’s passing style into a modus operandi, leaning further into it as Jokic has evolved from a 41st overall pick to a pudgy basketball wizard. On a team like the scrappy 2016-17 Celtics, it was a blessing that Thomas was an effective high-usage player, but on a team like the Nuggets, that tendency is more of a curse. Before Denver’s game against the Lakers, Malone talked about how unless the team completes 300 passes in a game, it’s not playing “Nuggets basketball.” Before Thomas made his way back onto the court, Denver averaged 308 passes a game, good for a top-10 mark in the league. Afterward, that number dipped to 283, a bottom-10 mark. 

Sorry to hear things in Denver didn't work out.

not shocking that IT impedes ball movement.  did the same thing when here although he admittedly didn't have the same level of offensive players when here.

hope he catches on somewhere next season where he can play to the best of his abilities.  won't be Boston but some team should be able to use his skills if he's fully recovered

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 04:33:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
At least he's shown in his time this year that he can still play a bit.  Hopefully next year he can get on a team with a little bit more playing time available and he can earn himself a consistent role.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 04:40:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
true but he chose a bad situation because the nuggets are loaded with great guards. It was always going to be hard to crack that lineup

Maybe so but if Monte Morris doesn't become one of the better backup PGs in the league and Denver is more of the 6-8 seed team they were expected to be I think the picture looks a little different.

Problem is I'm not sure IT can be a complementary player - to offset his defensive woes he's gotta give a lot on offense, and give it efficiently. But as a featured guy (on bench units) he's too rusty and off-pace to get into a groove in limited stretches.

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 04:52:36 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
 They already have Jokic who isn’t a good defender. Along with Morris, Beasley is a solid guard too.

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 04:55:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I am starting to get scared he may not get more than a training camp invite next year. He has had another underwhelming season after he basically got the minimum.

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 05:01:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
It is truly a real life cinderella story but without the happy ending

From 5th in mvp conversation to hanging by a thread to stay on a nba roster

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 05:02:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Maybe he goes to China and joins Sully next season

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 05:02:57 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I am starting to get scared he may not get more than a training camp invite next year. He has had another underwhelming season after he basically got the minimum.

Yeah same, soon could see him playing two seasons a year in BIG3 and overseas, like Amare Stoudemire

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 05:27:50 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
I feel bad for the little guy.

His time with the Celtics was amazing, so entertaining and fun!

Thanks IT4!

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 05:29:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I feel bad for the little guy.

His time with the Celtics was amazing, so entertaining and fun!

Thanks IT4!

Those and 1st around the basket was nice

Fearless and at times you wonder how he made those body twisting shots

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 05:45:52 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I’ll always appreciate what he did for us, but he has brought this on himself.  It’s hard to fit his me-first attitude and playstyle into any offensive system that doesn’t entirely revolve around him, and it’s even harder to hide him on defense. 

I wish him the best, but I don’t expect much to change unless his attitude improves.