Author Topic: Superb article on the Rondo trade by Lowe - Mavs taking a risk  (Read 12671 times)

Re: Superb article on the Rondo trade by Lowe - Mavs taking a risk
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2014, 03:21:08 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
"It will happen because he's told them he wants out, and no one believes me but that's the truth," MacMullan said. "And I don't see how you get 80 cents on the dollar for him. Tell me where."

8/31/2014.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D TP

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2014, 03:22:08 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Arguably the greatest material asset we acquired was the trade exception. I don't see why everyone is ignoring that piece, it's a pretty big deal.
We get that with any Rondo deal we make.
[/quote]

No, we don't. For it to work, individual salaries had to fit in our many small TPEs so that we could then send Rondo on his own without a traditional salary swap, thus creating a large $13m TPE.

Secondly, I don't see how that makes the TPE any less useful. If we got a lottery pick in every proposal Rondo suitors made, would that make the lottery pick less attractive?

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2014, 03:22:51 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
We don't need to trade Wright.  We could trade him.  We could resign him.  We could let him walk.  Your suggestion that getting Wright somehow puts Ainge in a bind where he's GOT to do something is evidence you don't understand the things about which you are complaining.
OK here was the situation 2 days ago with us and Rondo:
We have a player who has some value this year. He has no value to us this year unless we trade him, because we are not a contender. He's not a player we want to give a max deal, so after this year we have no advantage over any team in free agency. That's why Ainge took a way below market deal - teams know his time is limited to cache in on his asset.

How is any of that going to change with Wright. Yes we can let him go to free agency. If that's true we didn't get anything out of him. We got expiring money which we already had with Rondo. So we're back to trading Rondo for a midround draft pick and a guy who has no future in the NBA (Crowder).
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2014, 03:22:57 PM »

Offline KingChre

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 21
When Ainge has made good moves, it's always been because he sticks to a simple philosophy: don't overreact to a situation, wait for another team to be more desperate.

This time he completely lost his head and Mark Cuban gave him his own medicine. Stuff like "the market just wasn't there" IMO is what commentators say - smart league execs know circumstances change like the wind. What if Derrick Rose goes down in a month? If one team becomes desperate, Ainge could have got leverage, started a bidding war and got something real that he actually wanted.

Waiting would have made the worst-case scenario slightly worse and the best-case scenario an actual trade instead of a fire sale.

BTW - Mavs taking a risk. Yeah, it's sports. Nothing goes according to plan. It doesn't mean you shouldn't seek fair value on your deals.

If you are going to evaluate this on risk, then you need to do it from both sides. You neglect the risk that Rondo may re-injure himself entirely. That is the worst case scenario. Say he blows out the ACL he just had repared (certainly not out of the realm of realistic possibilities.) And then he still leaves in the summer.

If they had come to the conclusion (as I suspect they had) that Rondo was most likely signing elsewhere, it would behoove them to move as quickly as possible. It's not like the entire league hasn't known for years that he was available.

I find it extremely hard to believe that Ainge panicked or overreacted here, this was an extremely calculated, long term decision that has been in the works for a long time.
Looking at my gucci, and it's about that time...

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2014, 03:25:32 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
When Ainge has made good moves, it's always been because he sticks to a simple philosophy: don't overreact to a situation, wait for another team to be more desperate.

DUde... he's been trying to trade Rondo for 5 years.  He wasn't going to overreact... he was going to wait for a team to become desperate.  He waited... and waited... and waited...

Ultimately nobody wanted Rondo, because he's an obscenely overrated player who plays the most loaded position in the league and he doesn't help teams win.   

At the end, Boston ended up being the desperate team.  We either needed to trade him for garbage or lose him for nothing. 

We got a better draft pick by trading our coach.  Rondo was worthless on the market. 

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2014, 03:26:06 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
How is any of that going to change with Wright.

It changes since you can let your player walk, but still have two draft picks you wouldn't have had without the trade.

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2014, 03:28:35 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
"It will happen because he's told them he wants out, and no one believes me but that's the truth," MacMullan said. "And I don't see how you get 80 cents on the dollar for him. Tell me where."

8/31/2014.

"Jackie lost her fastball" - one of my favorite quotes from a poster here I can't give proper credit to

Yeah, that Tommy John surgery did her wonders because she's throwing heat again.

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2014, 03:31:27 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Wright is an expiring deal.  Maybe you should understand the trade before you condemn it.
Oh now I get it. So you're saying the 5 mil that will come off the books next offseason are going to be so valuable to teams, we're sure to get a return. As opposed to the 11 mil attached to a player who is actually going to be a difference maker this season in Rondo, which got us a mid-round draft pick and Jae Crowder.

Arguably the greatest material asset we acquired was the trade exception. I don't see why everyone is ignoring that piece, it's a pretty big deal.
Because in recent years, large trade exceptions have yielded very little. We had similarly sized exception from Paul Pierce, which got us very little.

Sure, it's nice to consolidate into a $12 million TE, and it does mean that we can land a non-max player in S&T. But those things are short-lived, and I'm really not sure who can we get that will make a difference.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2014, 03:32:35 PM »

Offline KingChre

• Payton Pritchard

DUde... he's been trying to trade Rondo for 5 years.  He wasn't going to overreact... he was going to wait for a team to become desperate.  He waited... and waited... and waited...

Ultimately nobody wanted Rondo, because he's an obscenely overrated player who plays the most loaded position in the league and he doesn't help teams win.   

At the end, Boston ended up being the desperate team.  We either needed to trade him for garbage or lose him for nothing. 

We got a better draft pick by trading our coach.  Rondo was worthless on the market.

Now, now, don't let facts get in the way of a good emotional rant. Danny is an idiot, who didn't shop Rondo at all, he was scared and took a crappy deal to help out Rick Carlisle.  ::)

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2014, 03:32:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

8/31/2014.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D TP
Jackie Mac, the best in the business when it comes to covering the Celtics.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2014, 03:33:06 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

8/31/2014.

Yeah.

It seems some people on this forum owe Jackie an apology.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2014, 03:33:46 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Both teams are over the salary cap, which means they have to send back a heck of a lot more than that for Rondo.  Again, understand how trades work before you complain.
Snell + Hinrich + the crap on the bottom of the roster for Rondo.

Snell and Hinich only add up to 4.1 million.  Chicago could send us Dunleavy and EVERY OTHER NON-ROTATION PLAYER ON THEIR ROSTER and it still wouldn't be enough to make the salaries match.  So, at minimum, Chicago would have to give us Mirotic and Snell and filler to make any deal work.

Do you actually think Chicago would even think of doing that for a rental of Rondo while Rose is hurt?  Again, you need to understand things before you complain about them.

Mike

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2014, 03:35:44 PM »

Offline KingChre

• Payton Pritchard

Because in recent years, large trade exceptions have yielded very little. We had similarly sized exception from Paul Pierce, which got us very little.

Sure, it's nice to consolidate into a $12 million TE, and it does mean that we can land a non-max player in S&T. But those things are short-lived, and I'm really not sure who can we get that will make a difference.

It netted a young back up center and a 1st round pick. No, its not acquiring Michael Jordan, or even Deandre Jordan for that matter, but its far from worthless. And when the consensus here is that Rondo was traded for nothing, it is important to note that the return has yet to be determined until the TPE is either used or expires. It has the potential to be extremely valuable, and discounting it is a mistake.

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2014, 03:36:32 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
We don't need to trade Wright.  We could trade him.  We could resign him.  We could let him walk.  Your suggestion that getting Wright somehow puts Ainge in a bind where he's GOT to do something is evidence you don't understand the things about which you are complaining.
OK here was the situation 2 days ago with us and Rondo:
We have a player who has some value this year. He has no value to us this year unless we trade him, because we are not a contender. He's not a player we want to give a max deal, so after this year we have no advantage over any team in free agency. That's why Ainge took a way below market deal - teams know his time is limited to cache in on his asset.

How is any of that going to change with Wright. Yes we can let him go to free agency. If that's true we didn't get anything out of him. We got expiring money which we already had with Rondo. So we're back to trading Rondo for a midround draft pick and a guy who has no future in the NBA (Crowder).

Almost no one thinks this is a good deal.  You don't seem to understand that a bad deal is better than a worse deal and letting Rondo walk for absolutely nothing or being pressured to give him a max deal would both be worse than what Ainge got.

Mike

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2014, 03:36:34 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I think this is a better pick than the pick for Doc.  Here we get two bites at the apple for the Mavs to disappoint and finish in the high lottery, whereas with the Clips pick we got one chance for them to have a bad year.  The odds that either would be so bad as to get a really high draft pick were always small.  I'd rather have two small but possible chances at good pick than one longshot at a great pick. As I said elsewhere, I'd have liked it if this year's protection was also good next year, but this pick is still better than the Clips pick.