Author Topic: Troy Brown to announce his retirement today  (Read 5405 times)

Troy Brown to announce his retirement today
« on: September 25, 2008, 08:09:13 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Patriots all-time career leader in receptions, punt returns and punt return yardage, Troy Brown, will officially announce his retirement today at a press conference at Gillette Stadium with Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick attending.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2008/09/25/brown_expected_to_announce_retirement/

I hope they announce that Troy will be inducted into the Patriots Hall of Fame next year and would love to hear(hope, hope) that he is going to maintain a position within the organization, whether it be coaching or public relations or whatever.

Troy embodied what it meant to be a newer generation New England Patriot and I don't think there could be a better guy to continue to represent this team in other endeavors than Troy Brown.

Congrats and thank you for 15 great years, Troy.

Re: Troy Brown to announce his retirement today
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 08:35:19 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Troy Brown is one of my favorite Patriots of all time because he was such a team first guy.

My fondest memory of Troy Brown... When he returned that kick against the Steelers in the 2001 AFC championship game...

I hope, like Lynn Swan, he is recognized for his value as appose to just his numbers and is inducted into the hall of fame.

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 09:53:47 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Really a big part of the hearth and soul of the Pats rise to greatness.  The guy just always made plays when given the chance and worked his way into a fine career.

ESPN had the "Snow Bowl" game on last night.  I hadn't really watched it since (not Troy's finest hour), but it was amazing to me just how few guys are left from that team. 

Yup

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 09:58:25 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Just an all-time great Patriot.  Always put the team ahead of himself.  "First Down" Troy Brown was a heckuca receiver in his day and was an integral part of that '01 team.  Later on, he was able to slide over and play corner and be fairly effective at that.  Punt returning, also.  The guy could do it all.  He was as close as you'll see for an "ironman" in today's NFL.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 11:06:30 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Really a big part of the hearth and soul of the Pats rise to greatness.  The guy just always made plays when given the chance and worked his way into a fine career.

ESPN had the "Snow Bowl" game on last night.  I hadn't really watched it since (not Troy's finest hour), but it was amazing to me just how few guys are left from that team. 

I saw that too Redz! Great trip down memory lane!

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 11:10:02 AM »

Offline Can97

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Troy Brown, the "Greatest Patriot to Ever Live."

This guy is my favorite athlete of all time. He was always great role model to always look up to......

Favorite Troy Brown Memory..The HUGE catch in superbowl 36 against the Rams setting up Vinateri's game winning FG.

Troy Brown's 2001 season is completely overlooked and was by far one of the greatest seasons in patriots history. He had 101 catches,1199 yards, and a few punt return TDs. Troy was flat out clutch in every opportunity given that year. That steelers game in the playoffs was also amazing when he blocked the field goal and lateraled it to antwain harris for a TD. Troy also had a punt return for a TD in that game also.

Without Troy Brown the patriots may have not had all of their recent success. Us patriots fans owe Troy Brown a big, THANK YOU.

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 11:12:45 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Just an all-time great Patriot.  Always put the team ahead of himself.  "First Down" Troy Brown was a heckuca receiver in his day and was an integral part of that '01 team.  Later on, he was able to slide over and play corner and be fairly effective at that.  Punt returning, also.  The guy could do it all.  He was as close as you'll see for an "ironman" in today's NFL.

Well said Donoghus, The guy is a Patriot legend who sacrificed individual achievement as a WR for the good of the team. No complaining, no hold outs just "whatever it takes to win coach". 

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 11:42:29 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I hope, like Lynn Swan, he is recognized for his value as appose to just his numbers and is inducted into the hall of fame.

You'll be hoping for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time.  He's not even close.  You are right about Swann, in that his numbers were weak, but he did have 51 TDs in 10 years to Browns 31 in 15, and 5,500 yards to Brown's 6,400.  And, Swann's numbers came in an era where passing was less prolific due to the absence of the 5 yard bump rule.

I think a good rule of thumb in today's game is that if a guy, even in his best year, couldn't crack a fantasy squad, then he's got no chance for the hall.  ;)

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 11:53:41 AM »

Offline CelticPride

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 28
Watch one minute in:

That steelers game in the playoffs was also amazing when he blocked the field goal and lateraled it to antwain harris for a TD. Troy also had a punt return for a TD in that game also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTn653lSYAg

Troy Brown did everything in that game. I thought Vinatieri was the hero in the ice bowl (among many). I thought Ty Law was the Super Bowl MVP (no disrespect intended to Mr. Brady), but the AFC Championship Game was Troy Brown's. I have Steeler Friend fan's who still have nightmares of Troy Brown...

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 12:18:09 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Too bad, I was hoping to see him on the bench this season as the third qb, he's played qb before, why not do it again. The guy really embodies the success of the team this decade, never giving up and doing your job, no matter what is asked of you.

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 12:38:45 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

You'll be hoping for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time.  He's not even close.  You are right about Swann, in that his numbers were weak, but he did have 51 TDs in 10 years to Browns 31 in 15, and 5,500 yards to Brown's 6,400.  And, Swann's numbers came in an era where passing was less prolific due to the absence of the 5 yard bump rule.

I think a good rule of thumb in today's game is that if a guy, even in his best year, couldn't crack a fantasy squad, then he's got no chance for the hall.  ;)

I don't think that's a good rule of thumb necessarily but I do see your point.

A man can dream can't he? ;)

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 11:06:39 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
What Donaghus said.

Congrats, Troy.