Author Topic: Smart leading Grizz to 0 and 4 start  (Read 8053 times)

Re: Smart leading Grizz to 0 and 4 start
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2023, 10:43:49 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3008
  • On To Banner 18!
Grizzlies lose to the Blazers, falling to 0-6 on the season. Smart had a brutal game.. In 39mins he had 8pts/4ast/3rebs/5TO’s. 4-12 from the field and 0-5 from 3pt.

Brogdon had 24pts/10ast/7reb and Rob chipped in 8pts/10rebs for Portland.

I hope Rob gets traded to a team that could play him more minutes. He had 8&10 today in 19mins of action. Too bad they can’t do a double big line up with DA.

do we know if you can play him more than 19minutes though and not get injured?

I loved Rob here, but I'm not sure he'll ever get back to the potential we saw in that brief time in 2022 before his knee injury. may just be a quality rotation big at this point

If he could, Brad wouldn't have traded him or acquired Holiday. Unfortunately Timelord is just injury prone, and sounds like he always will be assuming some of the reports have been right that his knee issue is a nagging, chronic one.
I don't believe that because it would make Brad an idiot.  Acquiring Holiday was a very good move to help the team plus it kept him away from one of our competitors.  He probably would have ended up with either the Clippers or the Sixers.  Embiid, Maxey, Holiday and Harris would have put the Sixers on tier 1 in the East with the Celts and Bucks.

Like cman88 said above, if Timelord was durable and averaging 15/10 a night playing 30+ MPG, do we still think Brad trades him away? I personally doubt it.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2023, 11:13:01 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
Grizzlies lose to the Blazers, falling to 0-6 on the season. Smart had a brutal game.. In 39mins he had 8pts/4ast/3rebs/5TO’s. 4-12 from the field and 0-5 from 3pt.

I hope Rob gets traded to a team that could play him more minutes. He had 8&10 today in 19mins of action. Too bad they can’t do a double big line up with DA.

I loved Rob here, but I'm not sure he'll ever get back to the potential we saw in that brief time in 2022 before his knee injury. may just be a quality rotation big at this point.

as far as smart goes, not sure what people expect. he's a very high quality roleplayer. he's not a "star" by any means. I think alot of celtics fans forget that because of his tenure on the team and how "he" viewed himself within the hierarchy of brown/tatum

Actually when news broke that we traded TL, I was honestly relieved. I mean, I like the player but I had a nagging thought that he had already peaked. His size is just ok but it was his freakish athleticism that put him over the top. And I couldn’t help but doubt that he would ever be ever to regain THAT level of athleticism (or replace it with savvy) in his career. In flashes, perhaps. But nothing consistent

- LilRip

« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2023, 11:38:10 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 554

I loved Rob here, but I'm not sure he'll ever get back to the potential we saw in that brief time in 2022 before his knee injury. may just be a quality rotation big at this point

If he could, Brad wouldn't have traded him or acquired Holiday. Unfortunately Timelord is just injury prone, and sounds like he always will be assuming some of the reports have been right that his knee issue is a nagging, chronic one.
I don't believe that because it would make Brad an idiot.  Acquiring Holiday was a very good move to help the team plus it kept him away from one of our competitors.  He probably would have ended up with either the Clippers or the Sixers.  Embiid, Maxey, Holiday and Harris would have put the Sixers on tier 1 in the East with the Celts and Bucks.

Like cman88 said above, if Timelord was durable and averaging 15/10 a night playing 30+ MPG, do we still think Brad trades him away? I personally doubt it.
I was commenting on the "or acquired Holiday" part of cman88 post.  I'll note that Timelord was my fav on the team and in his draft.  I'd be very happy if Timelord was still on the team. 

cman88 commented on Timelord's injury history.  He didn't talk about averaging 15/10 playing 30+ mpg.  If you're going to project that, then why would brad trade for KP?  Not sure there's enough minutes for KP and AL.  There certainly isn't for KP, AL and Timelord.  In 21/22 season, Timelord played 61 games at 30mpg and averaged 10/10.  Timelord also play 37 playoff games over the last 2 seasons. 

I think Brad made the KP and Holiday trades because he's frustrated at falling short.  This is no longer a young up and coming team.  It is time to win some championships.  So I do think he still would have traded Timelord.  However if Timelord were more durable, he'd have more value and a 2nd 1st rounder probably wouldn't have been needed in the trade. 

« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2023, 11:48:54 AM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Glad Brad and Ownership realized we had 2 Horrible shooters on the floor while teams double teamed Tatum and Brown.
Now with KP and Holiday, you can't defend the C's like before....Smart and Timelord had to go.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2023, 12:27:20 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1447
 Rob and Marcus pregame. Too funny.   :D

https://x.com/TheHoopCentral/status/1720646103027401192?s=20
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2023, 01:06:03 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
Glad Brad and Ownership realized we had 2 Horrible shooters on the floor while teams double teamed Tatum and Brown.
Now with KP and Holiday, you can't defend the C's like before....Smart and Timelord had to go.
Up grading from Smart and Rob to Holiday and Porzingis cost us Brogdon. Good exchange.

« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2023, 01:39:39 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1005
Rob and Marcus pregame. Too funny.   :D

https://x.com/TheHoopCentral/status/1720646103027401192?s=20

Good to see two brothers reuniting who were traded away in the same off-season by their one former team.  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2023, 07:41:07 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 369

it does seem to have opened up the offense more. and not just at the 3 pt line. it seems like JT has so much space to get to the hoop.

« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2023, 08:00:48 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2972
Hated seeing TL rotting on the bench in Portland , wish he was back instead of Kornet .

« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2023, 08:07:45 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 369

I was commenting on the "or acquired Holiday" part of cman88 post.  I'll note that Timelord was my fav on the team and in his draft.  I'd be very happy if Timelord was still on the team. 

cman88 commented on Timelord's injury history.  He didn't talk about averaging 15/10 playing 30+ mpg.  If you're going to project that, then why would brad trade for KP?  Not sure there's enough minutes for KP and AL.  There certainly isn't for KP, AL and Timelord.  In 21/22 season, Timelord played 61 games at 30mpg and averaged 10/10.  Timelord also play 37 playoff games over the last 2 seasons. 

I think Brad made the KP and Holiday trades because he's frustrated at falling short.  This is no longer a young up and coming team.  It is time to win some championships.  So I do think he still would have traded Timelord.  However if Timelord were more durable, he'd have more value and a 2nd 1st rounder probably wouldn't have been needed in the trade.

I do think the trade had more to do with pushing our chips in the middle of the table to win now. same reason we held onto Horford over timelord.

but it is fair to question if Timelord is a guy who projects to being better than 19mpg and averaging 7/7 which was my response to the post wanting Portland to give him more minutes.. would Brad have given up Timelord/Brogdon and a 1st for Holiday? or would he have given less. maybe we still trade him. but if Timelord projects as a 15/10 guy it might be just a straight up trade.

and the fact that Portland is using him the same way. begs for the question of maybe this is his peak given his injuries.

« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2023, 09:24:25 AM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1380
Hated seeing TL rotting on the bench in Portland , wish he was back instead of Kornet .

If he was getting paid $2m instead of $10m season I'm sure he would be  :-\
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2023, 09:35:40 AM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1380

If the purpose of dealing Timelord was to get Hoiiday after they had traded away Smart to get Porzingis, then yes I think they would still have traded away Timelord. These aren't moves that are made in isolation, they saw a chance to get KP, they didn't want to include Smart but they had to and getting KP was seen as worth giving up Smart. Getting KP meant that 3 bigs became a luxury, one of them was always going to be a backup. We hate not having a 3rd rotation big but let's be honest, that big is only going to get major time if someone gets hurt. And Timelord would be a more attractive piece to get Holiday than Al due to age. Getting Holiday to replace Smart > having a 3rd rotation insurance big.

But if we're playing the what-if game and go back to the decision before that, maybe they don't even trade for KP if they're getting 30 mins of 15/10 from Timelord. Of course, how Timelord gets his 15/10 matters - because KP spaces the floor better, they may still have viewed him as an upgrade over your 15/10 30 min Timelord. Then I think all the dominos will still fall the way they fell, because it was all reactive to what became available.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D