Author Topic: Lakers salary cap situation  (Read 8990 times)

Re: Lakers salary cap situation
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2019, 11:32:47 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
What does this mean for their available cap space to sign another free agent?

Fletcher Mackel Retweeted

Shamit Dua
@FearTheBrown
·
19h
AD not waiving his kicker to get to his preferred destination is wonderful. Also go Rich Paul. Get your client the money he's losing out.
Quote Tweet

ShowtimeForum
@ShowtimeForum
 · 19h
"We've been told that Anthony Davis will take his $4M trade kicker so they'll have around $24M to fill out the rest of their roster."

@BobbyMarks42 | 🎙@ESPNLosAngeles

It means they can:

1) Dump the non-Kuzma rookie deals and get to enough space to either sign a guy coming off his rookie deal to a max (so DeAngelo Russell, in a bit of irony)

2) Dump and hope to sign a veteran max-level player to a deal that gives the Lakers about a $5 million discount.

3) Sign one or multiple players to deals with their $24 million cap space to actually build out a roster.

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2019, 11:41:22 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Shamit Dua
@FearTheBrown
·
19h
AD not waiving his kicker to get to his preferred destination is wonderful. Also go Rich Paul. Get your client the money he's losing out.
Quote Tweet

ShowtimeForum
@ShowtimeForum
 · 19h
"We've been told that Anthony Davis will take his $4M trade kicker so they'll have around $24M to fill out the rest of their roster."

It means they can:

1) Dump the non-Kuzma rookie deals and get to enough space to either sign a guy coming off his rookie deal to a max (so DeAngelo Russell, in a bit of irony)

2) Dump and hope to sign a veteran max-level player to a deal that gives the Lakers about a $5 million discount.

3) Sign one or multiple players to deals with their $24 million cap space to actually build out a roster.
Ouch!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2019, 11:45:51 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
How do you demand a trade, but accept the trade kicker?  Makes no sense.

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2019, 11:46:54 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
How do you demand a trade, but accept the trade kicker?  Makes no sense.
Even Kyrie didn't do that, if I recall correctly
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2019, 11:47:13 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104

Shamit Dua
@FearTheBrown
·
19h
Quote Tweet

ShowtimeForum
@ShowtimeForum
 · 19h

It means they can:

Just to confirm I understand:

1)  That would be Wagner, Bonga and Jones?  If so that adds about 5.5mm to their cap space? (this is the link I'm using to get their contract info - https://www.spotrac.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/cap/2019/)

2)  Same as above.  Only difference would be who they're signing with that money.

3).  I understand that.

My understanding of the salary cap is limited.

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2019, 11:51:06 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Shamit Dua
@FearTheBrown
·
19h
Quote Tweet

ShowtimeForum
@ShowtimeForum
 · 19h

It means they can:

1)  That would be Wagner, Bonga and Jones?  If so that adds about 5.5mm to their cap space? (this is the link I'm using to get their contract info - https://www.spotrac.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/cap/2019/)

2)  Same as above.  Only difference would be who they're signing with that money.

3).  I understand that.

You’ve pretty much got it, except that for each of those three guys who are dumped, reduce the value of their savings by a little under $900k, because you have to add back in the minimum salary of a player they could be replaced with.  Depending where the cap number ultimately lands, they could even be a few hundred thousand from being able to offer Russell his full max.

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2019, 11:57:48 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton

Shamit Dua
@FearTheBrown
·
19h
Quote Tweet

ShowtimeForum
@ShowtimeForum
 · 19h

It means they can:

3).  I understand that.

You’ve pretty much got it, except that for each of those three guys who are dumped, reduce the value of their savings by a little under $900k, because you have to add back in the minimum salary of a player they could be replaced with.  Depending where the cap number ultimately lands, they could even be a few hundred thousand from being able to offer Russell his full max.

So then who else could they sign if they took options one or two?  Weren't most of their guys on one year contracts?  Are they allowed to go over the cap to resign their own players?

Also, thanks for all the info.

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2019, 12:05:33 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Imagine they get Kawhi Leonard.

Dang, we'll never hear the end of those 3peat/championships talks.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2019, 12:15:54 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think we need some clarification here about the actual real cap situation. I had heard all along the $32.5M #, but Phantom is providing evidence that the # will actually be lower than that...and that AD will not waive his trade kicker. Is this because of cap holds (and there will be a lot of them) that haven't been taken into account or is it something else?

I want to believe the lower # (because that will limit LAL), but I want to be sure before I can celebrate.
I'd prefer the lower number as well.

does AD enforcing the trade kicker mean that LA has to send out more salary to satisfy the deal or do they meet the salary requirements regardless?  also, I'm not digging LB's spin on the trade/FA timing on the 6th.  if that has any legs to it, it would have to mean LA has that 3rd star already lined up to sign as a FA (which would seem like tampering since they aren't supposed to talk until 7/1 if I understand the rules correctly) to sign that morning if they're announcing the trade later that same day.   if that is the case, it does lend some insight into the steep price LA paid for Davis.

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2019, 12:17:39 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
Imagine they get Kawhi Leonard.

Dang, we'll never hear the end of those 3peat/championships talks.

Per Woj:  "Kawhi Leonard's focus [is] on Los Angeles, but it's the Clippers not the Lakers."

https://mobile.twitter.com/GetUpESPN/status/1140958367143399425

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2019, 12:29:34 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I think we need some clarification here about the actual real cap situation. I had heard all along the $32.5M #, but Phantom is providing evidence that the # will actually be lower than that...and that AD will not waive his trade kicker. Is this because of cap holds (and there will be a lot of them) that haven't been taken into account or is it something else?

I want to believe the lower # (because that will limit LAL), but I want to be sure before I can celebrate.
I'd prefer the lower number as well.

does AD enforcing the trade kicker mean that LA has to send out more salary to satisfy the deal or do they meet the salary requirements regardless?  also, I'm not digging LB's spin on the trade/FA timing on the 6th.  if that has any legs to it, it would have to mean LA has that 3rd star already lined up to sign as a FA (which would seem like tampering since they aren't supposed to talk until 7/1 if I understand the rules correctly) to sign that morning if they're announcing the trade later that same day.   if that is the case, it does lend some insight into the steep price LA paid for Davis.

No, there’s no change to the deal, because it will be processed after the new league year opens, so they will be absorbing Davis via cap space.  (That’s the reason it’s being processed then and not now, and has nothing to do with free agency.  Since the Lakers are over the cap this season, they’d have to send back enough salary to match Davis, and that salary can’t be anyone who’s not already under contract for next year.  Simply put, the Lakers don’t have enough salary to trade that way.  From a cap perspective, it would be better for the Lakers if they could do it now, because then some of Davis’ trade kicker would be apportioned to this season, so the cap hit of his kicker would be $2 million instead of $4 million.)

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2019, 12:33:33 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
THis whole thing is a massive reach.

They will use their 32.5 mil in cap space to sign one of kyrie, kemba, butler or kawhi.  Count on it.  It’s a lock. 

After that is done, they will finalize the trade. 

Don’t buy into this nonsense, because you’re going to feel foolish and angry when the lakers form their big 3.  They wouldn’t have agreed to give up a package like that if they weren’t going to be able to add a 3rd star.  There’s no sneaky “gotcha” from the Pels. This is all part of the handshake agreement. It’s happening.  Expect it.

Davis already took his trade kicker, so that means the 32.5 is no longer possible right?

Davis stating he is u willing g to waive his trade kicker and it actually being applied aren't the same thing. There is no trade kicker until there is an actual trade. As far as I am aware there has been no official trade as of yet.

I'm not up to speed on what the Lakers cap situation will look like on July 1st, prior to trading for Davis, but if there is the possibility that holding off on the trade until they've used their cap space leads to a 3rd max free agent you can rest assured the Lakers will attempt to do so.

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2019, 12:40:12 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Don't listen to people who aren't willing to do the cap math or listen to those who do.

Unless we hear the Pelicans are willing to wait till July 30th the Lakers are going to have sub-max cap space in the 20s. (the other variable is the trade kicker though it has been consistently stated Davis is taking that money)

edited in the right month
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 12:50:38 PM by Fafnir »

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2019, 12:43:14 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm not up to speed on what the Lakers cap situation will look like on July 1st, prior to trading for Davis, but if there is the possibility that holding off on the trade until they've used their cap space leads to a 3rd max free agent you can rest assured the Lakers will attempt to do so.
All reports have the trade being done on July 6th, the Pelicans do not want to wait for the 4th pick to sign and become eligible to move as salary as that impacts their ability to deal that pick.

The Lakers did not negotiate the trade to keep their max cap slot, still blows my mind.

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2019, 12:46:12 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Don't listen to people who aren't willing to do the cap math or listen to those who do.

Unless we hear the Pelicans are willing to wait till June 30th the Lakers are going to have sub-max cap space in the 20s. (the other variable is the trade kicker though it has been consistently stated Davis is taking that money)

July 30th, but otherwise, yes, this.