Author Topic: Celtics are unpredictable without Irving  (Read 10423 times)

Re: Celtics are unpredictable without Irving
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2019, 01:12:33 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Just more lack of ball movement, only 31 assists in 50 fgm. Just terrible. And more awful predictable basketball because Kyrie was playing. Only 7 players in double digits, three with 20 points or more. Just terrible. Kyrie overshooting and being a ball hog kill us tonight.

Lol.

The hilarious part is that Kyrie pretty much did nothing tonight in terms of offensive production.

So in essence he might be proving those guys right. That Kyrie being Kyrie is not needed, Kyrie being more invisible in terms of stats is better for the team.

So im not sure why you are laughing.

Or it also could be because its a blowout.

All I know is Kyrie was a horrific Fantasy Duel :-\ player tonight
I do think you are onto something here... when Irving does less the other guys do more.  That's been my opinion since last season began.
Of course when Kyrie does less the others do more.  That’s not exactly some momentous insight right there.

The question is, are we better off when he does less.
Of course that's the question and to me the answer seems to be yes.

« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2019, 01:28:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Kyrie's usage rate was 31.5% in November and the Celts had a sub-.500 winning percentage.

But then in December his usage rate was 29.5% and the Celts won 64.3% of their games.

So far this month, the Celts have played 4 games and won all of them, but Kyrie has only played in one of those games.

I just don't think Kyrie is the problem, folks.  Win or lose we kind of know what we're going to get from Kyrie, and that's a good thing.

The team's success or failure is going to be dependent on how the other guys perform, because Kyrie is a relative constant. 

I suppose if you're willing to throw away all +/- stats and win streaks you won't be persuaded that Kyrie is a net positive.  But at the very least it doesn't seem right to say that Kyrie's high usage is correlated with the Celts playing worse, or that they play better without him or when he takes fewer shots.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2019, 09:40:33 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I've sometimes been kinda irritated at how ball-dominant Kyrie is late in games, even when the results are usually good, because I felt like it made the rest of the team less engaged and ready to step up when needed. I thought his absence was part of the reason why we moved the ball and shared responsibilities so well in our playoff run.

This season though it really seems like he's picking his spots and only trying to take over when the rest of the team doesn't have it (pretty often early in the season) or when he's really hot.  I've been really impressed with his team play and his ability to balance individual brilliance with getting teammates involved.  He's having his best season as a pro in my opinion, and it's starting to pay dividends for the rest of the team.

Should make an All-NBA team this year imo

« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2019, 09:42:13 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I've sometimes been kinda irritated at how ball-dominant Kyrie is late in games, even when the results are usually good, because I felt like it made the rest of the team less engaged and ready to step up when needed. I thought his absence was part of the reason why we moved the ball and shared responsibilities so well in our playoff run.

This season though it really seems like he's picking his spots and only trying to take over when the rest of the team doesn't have it (pretty often early in the season) or when he's really hot.  I've been really impressed with his team play and his ability to balance individual brilliance with getting teammates involved.  He's having his best season as a pro in my opinion, and it's starting to pay dividends for the rest of the team.

Definitely. Think it's between him and Lillard for that 2nd team spot behind Curry and Harden
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2019, 10:36:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Definitely. Think it's between him and Lillard for that 2nd team spot behind Curry and Harden
Yeah thus far Curry and Harden are the 1st team and Irving and Lillard are the 2nd team.  Don't even really think it is all that close on any of those. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip