Author Topic: Doc: Sully is a warrior, he's going nowhere....  (Read 17570 times)

Re: Doc: Sully is a warrior, he's going nowhere....
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2013, 12:52:24 AM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
I think Sully has more upside than many people think.  Regarding rebounding, you don't have to be taller than Sullinger to be a good rebounder.  This year four of the top six rpg guys are Sully's height, Varegao, Zach Randolph, David Lee, and JJ Hickson. 

If Sully can become a 11-12 rpg player, and develops his offensive game, he could be an all star level player.  He has a good shooting tough that extends to the three point line, and has the knack of getting his shot off in the paint against bigger players.  He also has a very good feel for the game, even as a rookie.

I know he is listed at 6  9 but i just dont buy it. Even if he is. All these other guys have an above the rim game and a much higher vertical than Sully. But in any case, I will agree that for rebounding purposes you dont necessarily need to be taller.

None of the guys listed except for maybe Hickson should be considered "athletic" .

Heart > Positioning/Rebounding Skill > Vertical.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2013, 12:55:24 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
In the post game interview Doc said sully's a warrior and not going anywhere....

I love sully , but would trade him for gortat or varajaeo

Thoughts?

for Gortat or Varejao No way. For Cousins yes.

I'd move Sully for Varejao in a heart beat.  He'd make us immediate top-tier contenders.  A mobile, excellent defender who can play both front court positions and who is an elite rebounder?  That's exactly what this team needs.

Gortat isn't as good as Varejao, but I'd probably pull the trigger on that deal, too.  Sully's play lately has made me hesitate on that more than I would have a couple of weeks ago, though.

Agreed. Sully is improving past, but there is a ceiling for undersized play under the rim big man. He is a warrior, but Gortat/Varejao/Cousins are better players than Sully ever can be.

TP for using my always go to "there is a ceiling for undersized play under the rim big man" arguement. Couldnt agree with you more.

Love Sully he is playing great. If we can trade Bass in a deal for a Varejo or Gortat you have to look into moving him first. But if Sully is the deal breaker then I have to move him.

I must have missed all of McHale's high flying dunks.

6' 9" isn't very undersized and he can be plenty effective.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2013, 12:55:54 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Sully was projected as a top five talent for most of his college career. The injury possibility is what made him drop to us.

I'm telling you he's got a shot to be Kevin love 2.0. Keep working on the jumper and slimming down and he can be that good. Look at love in college and his rookie year. Sully is incredibly similar.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2013, 12:58:06 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
That kid is definitely starting to grow on me.  He battles. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 01:05:03 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jared-Sullinger-5029/

for those doubting sullys height, he is 6'9" (with shoes obviously).... 6'7.75" without shoes. at the combine he weighed 268lbs

scouts believe career-wise:
Best Case: Luis Scola
Worst Case: Glen Davis

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2013, 01:08:39 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
That kid is definitely starting to grow on me.  He battles.
the best part is he is only a kid. he is 20 years old, cannot legally drink, and is battling people who have been there and done that.

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2013, 01:21:41 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
His defense is coming along, much to my surprise.  He just hasn't been a liability out there.  The one play where he stayed with Carmelo's drive all the way to the basket and I think blocked his shot was very impressive. 

I like how he's sort of the PF version of Bradley strictly in the sense that he moves well off the ball.  I love how he cuts immediately into open space when someone, usually Pierce, is doubled in the post.  He's a natural.

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2013, 07:15:32 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I think Sully has more upside than many people think. 

I don't even need to see the upside.  The guy is putting up near double-double numbers NOW, and he's getting limited minutes.

I would never trade this guy for Gortat.  But I will say that his trade value is SKYROCKETING right now.

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2013, 07:30:54 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The funny and scary thing when Sully is on the court is that, when he is assigned to a superstar and a guy who has 4 inches of height on him in Tyson Chandler, you just pray he slows him down. But after 5 minutes you realize he is not only slowing him down, but bullying him down low just like everyone else he has!

That end of the 3rd quarter buzzer beater was pure gold and showed what he was all about. He out played another guy with 4 inches on him, got the offensive rebound and put the ball back in the net. When in reality he had no business even getting the rebound in the first place

Lastly anyone love this kids smile? haha. Its like he knows how much damage he is doing on the court. A good kid he never loudly complains on the court like guys like DMC, Lebron James things don't go his way and keeps on trucking

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2013, 08:10:31 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
That end of the 3rd quarter buzzer beater was pure gold and showed what he was all about. He out played another guy with 4 inches on him, got the offensive rebound and put the ball back in the net. When in reality he had no business even getting the rebound in the first place

TP

That rebound over Camby was just sully saying "I'm stronger than you, I'm younger than you, I want it more than you. Watch this."

Beautiful rebound.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2013, 08:25:27 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
not trading sully for either of those bums.

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2013, 08:26:43 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
When is the "Hall of Fame Induction"? ;D

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2013, 08:30:18 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
When is the "Hall of Fame Induction"? ;D

for who? varejao or gortat?  ::)

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2013, 08:40:38 AM »

Offline twistedrico14

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
I hope that Celtics stick with Sullinger. He may not be an all-star but he could be a solid NBA player for a long time. 

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2013, 08:42:25 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
we still need size, to prevent other teams from changing strategy, in other news it was fun to see Doc actually coaching yesterday....

hey.... I can accept when hes doing it....
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!