Author Topic: Would you give Tatum a 30% max contract?  (Read 8376 times)

Re: Would you give Tatum a 30% max contract?
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2020, 02:21:53 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I'll just echo that Boston should (and will) pay Tatum the max that he is eligible under the current CBA.   There really isn't much to debate about it.  That will be the price and it is a no-brainer.

I'll also add that wow, Jaylen Brown's contract is looking like a home run right now.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2020, 02:25:56 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I'll just echo that Boston should (and will) pay Tatum the max that he is eligible under the current CBA. There really isn't much to debate about it.  That will be the price and it is a no-brainer.

I'll also add that wow, Jaylen Brown's contract is looking like a home run right now.
Ikr, I was one of the few posters who said that the deal was an absolute steal when he signed it and it's looking good right now :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Re: Does it make sense and would you give Tatum a supermax contract?
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2020, 02:58:32 PM »

Offline Larry for 3

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 30
  • Believe in Boston
Answering the OP - you give him whatever he wants.

What if he wants changes to the roster, like I don't know, a certain player or players gone. He is friends with Kyrie. And don't forget the spat after game 2. I haven't.
"They forgot about Larry Bird"--- Danny Ainge, 1987

"What happened to the Lakers??!!"--- Wyc Grousbeck, 6/17/08

« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2020, 03:10:16 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!

What if he wants changes to the roster, like I don't know, a certain player or players gone. He is friends with Kyrie. And don't forget the spat after game 2. I haven't.

What if the sky turns to glitter? What if pigs learn how to walk on two hooves? Has hasn't shown that type of behavior to this point of wanting to dictate roster moves. He appears open to coaching and working on his game, hence his improvement. And there's been no reports that he was involved directly in the post-game 2 dust up - that seems to have been Smart and Brown. Like.... what are we even talking about right now?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2020, 03:50:50 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Every day and TWICE on Sundays.

Open up that pocket book, Man Pouch, whatever BOS.

Pay Jaylen when HIS time comes, too.

« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2020, 04:04:52 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1375

JT doesn't have anywhere near the influence to start dictating roster moves yet. I'm sure he's years away from that particular course of action. Not to say that his opinion won't be sought when players are considered.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2020, 04:41:18 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1765
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'll just echo that Boston should (and will) pay Tatum the max that he is eligible under the current CBA. There really isn't much to debate about it.  That will be the price and it is a no-brainer.

Ikr, I was one of the few posters who said that the deal was an absolute steal when he signed it and it's looking good right now :laugh:

I am a humongous Jaylen fan, but I do think this is a bit overstated. Keeping the figures the same as say Jamal Murray (same draft class) who just signed a 5-yr max, it comes out to about $122M over the first 4 years of the contract. Jaylen's contract is for 4 years / $107M with All-NBA incentives able to push that to $115M.

While we did save $3-4M/yr over him signing a max, we also took a chance on a player who was averaging 13ppg w/ limited playmaking and rebounding at the time. Obviously the deal has proven to be fruitful, but it wasn't like this huge score. I get it, that 5th year player option is huge for Murray should a major injury occur, but it worked out for both sides as far as I'm concerned. Both players will likely be seeking a true max (or supermax) in 2024 - making that last year for Murray irrelevant.

« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2020, 07:28:29 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

What if the sky turns to glitter? What if pigs learn how to walk on two hooves? Has hasn't shown that type of behavior to this point of wanting to dictate roster moves. He appears open to coaching and working on his game, hence his improvement. And there's been no reports that he was involved directly in the post-game 2 dust up - that seems to have been Smart and Brown. Like.... what are we even talking about right now?
Lol, beat me to it. Not sure what to make of that post... nothing about it is indicative of how Tatum acts.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2020, 10:51:44 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I am a humongous Jaylen fan, but I do think this is a bit overstated. Keeping the figures the same as say Jamal Murray (same draft class) who just signed a 5-yr max, it comes out to about $122M over the first 4 years of the contract. Jaylen's contract is for 4 years / $107M with All-NBA incentives able to push that to $115M.

While we did save $3-4M/yr over him signing a max, we also took a chance on a player who was averaging 13ppg w/ limited playmaking and rebounding at the time. Obviously the deal has proven to be fruitful, but it wasn't like this huge score. I get it, that 5th year player option is huge for Murray should a major injury occur, but it worked out for both sides as far as I'm concerned. Both players will likely be seeking a true max (or supermax) in 2024 - making that last year for Murray irrelevant.

You have to include All-NBA incentives to even get the total close.

But the important difference isn't about the 4-year total.  The important difference is that Jaylen's contract will impose a cap / tax hit of about 4M less each year than Murray.   That's of huge benefit to Danny and the team for roster building.   Add in the fact that Jaylen, unlike Murray, is a complete two-way player and that further strengthens Danny & Brad's hands when it comes to the roster.

Jaylen just gave us a deep playoff performance averaging 22/7.5/2.5/1.5, as the most efficient scorer among our starters & top rotation players, with absolutely elite defense.   And he will be on a discount for the next few years.

Murray averaged a few more points and assists but fewer rebounds and gives you almost nothing on the defensive end.

Jaylen's contract is a home run.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2020, 09:02:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The marketing department is certainly hoping we re-sign Tatum:

Marc Stein: NBA Bubble jersey sales: 1. LeBron James 2. Luka Doncic 3. Anthony Davis 4. Jayson Tatum 5. Giannis A. 6. Stephen Curry 7. Kevin Durant 8. Damian Lillard 9. Kawhi Leonard 10. Jimmy Butler 11. Kemba Walker 12. Kyrie Irving 13. Russell Westbrook 14. Nikola Jokic 15. Ja Morant

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2020, 09:23:51 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1765
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

You have to include All-NBA incentives to even get the total close.

But the important difference isn't about the 4-year total.  The important difference is that Jaylen's contract will impose a cap / tax hit of about 4M less each year than Murray.   That's of huge benefit to Danny and the team for roster building.   Add in the fact that Jaylen, unlike Murray, is a complete two-way player and that further strengthens Danny & Brad's hands when it comes to the roster.

Jaylen just gave us a deep playoff performance averaging 22/7.5/2.5/1.5, as the most efficient scorer among our starters & top rotation players, with absolutely elite defense.   And he will be on a discount for the next few years.

Murray averaged a few more points and assists but fewer rebounds and gives you almost nothing on the defensive end.

Jaylen's contract is a home run.

I was only using Murray as a comp because he signed a max extension w/o making All-NBA (like Siakam or Simmons - so no incentives); it has nothing to do with player valuation - I definitely would choose Brown over Murray.

But I basically stand by what I said. It was a very good deal and I am super-happy we got Brown locked up, but 'home run' is what you say about Steph's previous deal, not someone making $3-4M/yr below the max. But, I will reiterate, it is fantastic that Brown is on this team on a long-term contract and there are very few players in this league I would trade him for.

« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2020, 11:39:52 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
When is the 1st day that Tatum can sign an extension?  Anyone know?

« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2020, 12:16:24 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
The marketing department is certainly hoping we re-sign Tatum:

Marc Stein: NBA Bubble jersey sales: 1. LeBron James 2. Luka Doncic 3. Anthony Davis 4. Jayson Tatum 5. Giannis A. 6. Stephen Curry 7. Kevin Durant 8. Damian Lillard 9. Kawhi Leonard 10. Jimmy Butler 11. Kemba Walker 12. Kyrie Irving 13. Russell Westbrook 14. Nikola Jokic 15. Ja Morant

This might be petty, but I love seeing Kemba keeping Kyrie out of the 11 spot.

It's the little things.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2020, 03:36:48 PM »

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
The fact Tatum is singing his 30% max this offseason might be a blessing. With all the covid issues, the cap will not rise much now. But if in2-3 years time, Tatum contract might not be that big in comparisson if the cap rises faster.

« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2020, 05:04:37 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
We need to supermax him if he want him to be a Celtic the next 15 years.

The dynamic with Brown is why we need to trade Brown: Jaylen could become Jelly Jaylen and the whole team could become dysfunctional. Brown is just not as good as Tatum except in the eyes of a few people on here who are obsessed with salary cap management. Look at those jersey sales, too. Tatum could rise to three next year.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 05:19:03 PM by GreenlyGreeny »