Author Topic: Is the head of the snake in Rondo the reason we are struggling?  (Read 4593 times)

Is the head of the snake in Rondo the reason we are struggling?
« on: January 03, 2013, 03:23:16 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
If he doesn't play out of his mind and get guys easy buckets we are just average. He's been really bad the past couple weeks be it his injury or whatever and as a result we have fallen off a cliff.

You see it with Bass if Rondo isn't drawing the defense in and feeding Bass he's useless. Same for Terry and KG to an extent they can't create anything for themselves but it all starts with Rondo and always has. He cant stay in front of anybody right now and on offense he isn't aggressive at all, until he gets healthy and steps it up we will stay slumping.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:08:52 AM by j804 »
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Re: Is the head of the snake in Rondo the reason we are struggling?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 03:45:00 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I know its been the way we have played the past few years but seeing the shot clock dwindle down to 10 seconds and then start the play is getting fairly annoying right now. It give the defence a chance to set up and work against us and when we arent making the shots it makes us look horrible.

I would like to see us push the tempo a bit more because we have the personnel to do it this year. Also i would just like to see the guys just play

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 04:03:22 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Yeah, right now it's a big problem because Rondo is struggling probably with that injury he picked up recently. That is a huge part of the recent losing streak. 

When Rondo isn't on his game, it's tough for this team to create quality shot attempts.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 06:16:51 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Yeah, right now it's a big problem because Rondo is struggling probably with that injury he picked up recently. That is a huge part of the recent losing streak. 

When Rondo isn't on his game, it's tough for this team to create quality shot attempts.

he was injured in the last within the last tiw games.  We've lost 5 outta 6 and actually won a game without him in the lineup.  Our offensive production should not rely on him.  And I'd argue the ball moves better at times without him in the lineup.  At thus point he's a liability and trade bait.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 06:23:27 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
In my humble opinion, Rondo's defense has been horrendous this year.

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 07:36:06 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
He's injured.
He'll probably sit soon.
Could be 10-15 games till we are fully healthy. Wilcox is needed badly for his high % shots around the basket.

Avery stopping dribble penetration.
Terry coming in, in a more comfortable role against weaker offensive second units where his defensive liablities aren't abused as much.
Wilcox running the floor.
Green pairing with Avery, Rondo and Sully will be nice.

But you can't blame Rondo (if that's what you mean by the post).
He's injured.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 07:42:14 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No, Rondo, is not part of the problem he is part of the solution.

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 05:58:21 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Rondo is the only guy on the roster who can frequently draw help defenders due to his dribble penetration. No other player on the roster can do this consistently anymore.

The result is that when Rondo isn't able to force the defense off kilter, Boston end up playing lots of one-on-one basketball with a set defense in front of their attacker which leads to a large number of low percentage shot attempts.

Without Rondo playing at a high level, Boston's offense cannot function.

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 06:20:48 PM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
Yes, Rondo is one of our big problems. We have a lot of problems but this is supposed to be his team to carry now.

Paul Pierce is no longer the guy that can dribble into the paint, break down a defense, and kick out to an open guy or draw a foul like he once was.  Rondo is the guy on this team that needs to do that.

The problem...Rondo is either scared to death of shooting free throws or taking contact so he would rather pass the ball back to the three point line even though he has a wide open layup, he takes a really funky layup to avoid contact, or he pulls up and stops any fast break all together rather than attack.  This has killed our offense consitently for the past several years.

Add to that the fact that he play a gamblin style of denfense which causes our D to break down repeatedly and for opposing guards to have career days all because rondo wants the steal.  Again frustrating, because he could be a great on teh ball defender if he wanted to.

The dilema is that Rondo can do all of the things we need him to be now that it is his team: attack the basket with the intent to score and pass, and be a solid on the ball defender on opposing PGs, btu he refuses to do it.

I have to agree, if Rondo does not change this aspect of his game, then he will never be a true go to guy which is what we need and you might be better off cashing in on his value now and try to get a PG in at the level of Conley or Jennings and hope you can get them to throw in a big as well.  Or make a run at Steph Curry or Deron Williams (we missed our chance on Curry though I bet). 

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 06:44:55 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

kg only being able to play effectively for 5 minutes stretches is why we suck...could've worked better if any of the new guys fit with Rondo better or at all for that matter..Lee, green and Terry have been awful fits.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 07:04:15 PM by scaryjerry »

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Rondo is still getting those guys open...Bass, Terry, Pierce, Jeff.  Those guys has been bricking everything he's been feeding them.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 07:48:30 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
He said that his injury is only a bruise.  Hopefully, Doc and the real doctors on the staff know what they are doing and playing through it can't harm the situation or set back recovery time.

I'm hoping to see a full speed Rondo by Friday night against Indiana. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson