Author Topic: Celtics (0-0) at Sixers (0-0) Game #1 10/23/19  (Read 60307 times)

Re: Celtics (0-0) at Sixers (0-0) Game #1 10/23/19
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2019, 08:49:09 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I'd start TimeLord over Theis on this one. See if he can use his six fouls early. Theis is a good spacer of a center but will be eaten alive by Embiid on D.

Don't even think he's practicing yet.
Both TL and Tacko are in the concussion protocol.  Don't expect to see them for this one.

Gotta start the big guy Poirier for this one. Need his size against Embiid.

Al is 6'9" and defends him well. Don't think you need a 7 footer on him. Keep him out of the paint requires more skill/scheme than size.

I'm willing to bet we see some Semi on him.

Al is extremely strong and intelligent defender.

Theis is too weak. Rob Williams has not shown himself able to body up bigger centers yet. Kanter is strong but a dumb lazy defender.

That leaves Poirier. Only option left.

It will be interesting to see if Stevens stays flexible with a starting center due to matchups,  or commit to Theis early on.

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2019, 08:58:22 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'd start TimeLord over Theis on this one. See if he can use his six fouls early. Theis is a good spacer of a center but will be eaten alive by Embiid on D.

Both TL and Tacko are in the concussion protocol.  Don't expect to see them for this one.

Al is 6'9" and defends him well. Don't think you need a 7 footer on him. Keep him out of the paint requires more skill/scheme than size.

Theis is too weak. Rob Williams has not shown himself able to body up bigger centers yet. Kanter is strong but a dumb lazy defender.

It will be interesting to see if Stevens stays flexible with a starting center due to matchups,  or commit to Theis early on.

Remember matchups are not only based on starters, but on a rotation for the entire game.  That said, my feeling is Poirier isn’t fully adjusted to the NBA yet, and we won’t see him outside of garbage time for a couple of weeks at least, and we’ll see him more as the season progresses.

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2019, 09:10:32 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Remember matchups are not only based on starters, but on a rotation for the entire game.  That said, my feeling is Poirier isn’t fully adjusted to the NBA yet, and we won’t see him outside of garbage time for a couple of weeks at least, and we’ll see him more as the season progresses.
that may be true about Poirier but I suspect the Sixers will be going to Al and Embiid in the post quite a bit and we'll likely either be giving up easy buckets, fouls or And-1's with fouls on easy buckets.  Poirier may be pushed into action for 6 more fouls to use.

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2019, 09:19:58 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

that may be true about Poirier but I suspect the Sixers will be going to Al and Embiid in the post quite a bit and we'll likely either be giving up easy buckets, fouls or And-1's with fouls on easy buckets.  Poirier may be pushed into action for 6 more fouls to use.

Not impossible.  I’m sure Stevens will adjust as need be.  That said, the Sixers strength is their interior size, whereas the Celtics strength is speed and length on the perimeter, so it wouldn’t surprise me to see us go small a lot this game and challenge their bigs to defend on the perimeter.

It will be a tough task, but should be a good game.  I’m sure each team will land their share of punches.

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2019, 09:43:35 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
it's game day! are you ready!!!

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2019, 09:50:54 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I think constant ball movement will be key tonight, and shooting deep into the shot clock. I can see this wearing on all those Philly big men. For instance, it’s one thing for Ben Simmons to hang with a PF on defense, who don’t run around. However, it’s a totally different thing to defend a PG that is constantly moving. And the Celtics can’t miss any opportunity to push the ball in transition to score easy baskets.

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2019, 10:06:01 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Yikes! I’m legit worried about a loss. Unless we shoot the lights out or (miraculously) stay alive on the boards, this is a tough game.

Go C’s!!!
- LilRip

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2019, 10:17:58 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Starting Kanter for this game is a no brainer-he's done well against Embiid in the past. Obviously past matchups aren't purely a 1 on 1 showdown (the schemes of the teams involved as well as a multitude of factors affect the outcome), but Kanter has put up very good stats against Embiid to wash out a good chunk of the latter's production.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2019, 10:39:55 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
49-51 wins. #3 seed (hopefully). That's my hope for this team :)

And a 2017-2018 like playoff run with a likable team that culminates in an "out of nowhere" Finals win  ;)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2019, 10:45:50 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Starting Kanter for this game is a no brainer-he's done well against Embiid in the past. Obviously past matchups aren't purely a 1 on 1 showdown (the schemes of the teams involved as well as a multitude of factors affect the outcome), but Kanter has put up very good stats against Embiid to wash out a good chunk of the latter's production.

That’s a bit hopeful; what has he done?

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2019, 10:52:41 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

That’s a bit hopeful; what has he done?
https://www.landofbasketball.com/games_between/joel_embiid_vs_enes_kanter.htm
Some pretty decent counting stats against arguably the best C in the league (now that AD's a PF lol).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2019, 12:33:44 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
The excitement is building. How sweet a win would be tonight in Philly!

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2019, 03:01:27 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Honestly I like us better than them at 1-4 Horford as a 4 will be interesting because now he wont pull out the 5 from the paint, he will have to guard quicker guys and sometimes he goes invisible so that should be interesting. Now Embiid is going to kill us in the paint unless Kanter can play him physically. Not sure if he can do that or not I've never seen them play each other but I assume Embiid goes for 25 and 14! Money is on Philly to win but my heart is going with the C's!!!

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2019, 03:02:49 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
The Celtics Game Notes list Kanter as the starter.  Brad is not naming his starters until game time - Maybe to keep the Sixers off balance and not knowing who to prepare for.  My thoughts are either Kanter or Poirier should start but it may be any of our centers except Tacko, who is listed as out with a concussion. 

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2019, 03:05:14 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
C's by 8.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.