Author Topic: Celtics (3-0) at Cavaliers (1-2) Preseason Game #4 10/15/19  (Read 29116 times)

Re: Celtics (3-0) at Cavaliers (1-2) Preseason Game #4 10/15/19
« Reply #270 on: October 16, 2019, 02:10:25 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Had to leave before the game ended. Very odd that Waters had 24 points and 7 assists yet was a +0 for a game we won by 23? Meanwhile Wanamaker had 11 points and 4 assists and was a +21.
Game by game +/- is relatively unreliable in evaluating players. My guess is that Waters was playing with worse teammates than Wannamaker throughout the game.
Yeah, Waters had lots of run with guys like Maten and Gates.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #271 on: October 16, 2019, 02:36:33 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
Had to leave before the game ended. Very odd that Waters had 24 points and 7 assists yet was a +0 for a game we won by 23? Meanwhile Wanamaker had 11 points and 4 assists and was a +21.
Game by game +/- is relatively unreliable in evaluating players. My guess is that Waters was playing with worse teammates than Wannamaker throughout the game.

I know that, just strange to see given the impact he seemed to have on the game when I was watching. I did miss the 4th quarter but it looked like we kept extending our lead so it just looked funny.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #272 on: October 16, 2019, 02:59:31 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I know that, just strange to see given the impact he seemed to have on the game when I was watching. I did miss the 4th quarter but it looked like we kept extending our lead so it just looked funny.
He probably let the Cavs cut into our lead at the end of the game.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #273 on: October 16, 2019, 03:02:28 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

while Wana was out there with the human torch.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #274 on: October 16, 2019, 03:07:17 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

while Wana was out there with the human torch.
The Cavalier torch would be nice! Always feel good about whipping the Cavs after the beatdowns they gave us a few years ago, Bron fans who constantly made fun of our "inferiority" were annoying to bear.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 03:44:53 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #275 on: October 16, 2019, 06:24:13 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Always feel good about whipping the Cavs after the beatdowns they gave us a few years ago, Bron fans who constantly made fun of our "inferiority" were annoying to bear.

They will go back to being losers bigtime, our second string beat their guys last night.   

« Reply #276 on: October 16, 2019, 08:49:54 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Always feel good about whipping the Cavs after the beatdowns they gave us a few years ago, Bron fans who constantly made fun of our "inferiority" were annoying to bear.

They will go back to being losers bigtime, our second string beat their guys last night.
It's honestly enjoyable lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #277 on: October 16, 2019, 01:17:10 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Green really is quite a good athlete
What else is this kid supposed to do?  They can’t cut him after the display he put on in pre-season.

Yeah - because dunking a few times against preseason rosters and playing great defense against summer league fodder is all it takes to make you an un-cuttable NBA player.   :P
Sarcasm right?  He’s played whoever is out there and put the ball in the hole. Gotta find a way to keep him.

Sarcasm?  No. 

The guy has played only 26 total minutes across 3 pre-season games prior to today, most of those minutes coming against weak competition.  He has averaged 7 points, 2 rebounds and 1 assist across that stretch.  He's taken only one three pointer in three games, and hasn't gotten to the line at all.

I've watched all of the games so far except for today's (hence why I didn't include it) and based on what i've seen so far I've seen very little from him other then athleticism / dunks.  And while those are fun to watch and good for entertainment value, they don't on their own tend to translate to NBA success. 

He's been fun to watch in the preseason and in summer league, but i really haven't seen much from that indicates he would be a productive NBA rotation player.

He's also 26 years old, so it's not like his exploding with upside.

Not meaning to be a negative-Nancy or rain on the Green parade, but I find it hard to justify giving this guy a roster position because of a few preseason dunks over a guy like Semi who has actually played meaningful (and productive) NBA minutes in the playoffs against elite competition.   A few people were suggesting this earlier, and I think that's a little ludicrous personally.
I don't disagree, and I'm NOT one of those who is pitting Green against Semi for the final roster spot.  I do believe Semi deserves to be on the opening night roster.  Without offering a solution, I am just wondering what more Green could have done in this pre-season.  His defense didn't look terrible and having his hips twisted in the wrong direction seems like something fixable, especially for a superb athlete.

« Reply #278 on: October 17, 2019, 01:06:44 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

Technically it was our third string  :laugh:

« Reply #279 on: October 17, 2019, 01:13:31 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Green really is quite a good athlete
What else is this kid supposed to do?  They can’t cut him after the display he put on in pre-season.

Yeah - because dunking a few times against preseason rosters and playing great defense against summer league fodder is all it takes to make you an un-cuttable NBA player.   :P
Sarcasm right?  He’s played whoever is out there and put the ball in the hole. Gotta find a way to keep him.

Sarcasm?  No. 

The guy has played only 26 total minutes across 3 pre-season games prior to today, most of those minutes coming against weak competition.  He has averaged 7 points, 2 rebounds and 1 assist across that stretch.  He's taken only one three pointer in three games, and hasn't gotten to the line at all.

I've watched all of the games so far except for today's (hence why I didn't include it) and based on what i've seen so far I've seen very little from him other then athleticism / dunks.  And while those are fun to watch and good for entertainment value, they don't on their own tend to translate to NBA success. 

He's been fun to watch in the preseason and in summer league, but i really haven't seen much from that indicates he would be a productive NBA rotation player.

He's also 26 years old, so it's not like his exploding with upside.

Not meaning to be a negative-Nancy or rain on the Green parade, but I find it hard to justify giving this guy a roster position because of a few preseason dunks over a guy like Semi who has actually played meaningful (and productive) NBA minutes in the playoffs against elite competition.   A few people were suggesting this earlier, and I think that's a little ludicrous personally.
I don't disagree, and I'm NOT one of those who is pitting Green against Semi for the final roster spot.  I do believe Semi deserves to be on the opening night roster.  Without offering a solution, I am just wondering what more Green could have done in this pre-season.  His defense didn't look terrible and having his hips twisted in the wrong direction seems like something fixable, especially for a superb athlete.

I think the issue is more, are the Celtics the best team for Green? He's the kind of player who deserves more than an Abdel Nader role as the 15th player on a team. He's ready to contribute now but with the Cs his opportunities will be limited. Now if he just wants to be on a roster and not play and make money then sure it would work out well for us. But he could easily make the 8-9 man rotation of a team like Cleveland, or Charlotte. But not us, we have a lot of wings, ahead of him would be Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Semi, Romeo, GWill and in the backcourt you have Kemba, Smart, Edwards, Wanamaker and Waters who everyone is high on. And everyone is expecting more minutes from the top guys. We don't want a situation like last year where everyone can only play 20 min because there's too many of them that need to be fed minutes. Let's be honest he will struggle to make our 8 or 9 man rotation, because either the players we have are more established, or we want them to grow with more minutes. Who of those players I mentioned would you leave out? I haven't even included the bigs who will be playing.

That's what I think Danny will talk to him about before deciding. Are you going to be happy sitting at the end of the bench night after night or do you want to take your chances with another team where you may be able to be a 15min contributor? Which he deserves to be I think. He definitely deserves a shot in the NBA on what I've seen. Strus is a young player who will probably spend time in the G league to develop while sitting at the end of our bench and he will need to, he's more of a #15 type guy.