Author Topic: Off-season targets?  (Read 21423 times)

Re: Off-season targets?
« Reply #120 on: October 11, 2020, 05:36:44 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
If Okongwu or Wiseman fell to #7, would anyone consider trading Romeo, Carsen and 2 or 3 of our first rounders for #7 and Rose?
Hard pass assuming Okongwu and Wiseman aren't future Goberts/rich man's Bams in the making (I mean their potential).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #121 on: October 11, 2020, 05:56:42 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If Okongwu or Wiseman fell to #7, would anyone consider trading Romeo, Carsen and 2 or 3 of our first rounders for #7 and Rose?
Hard pass assuming Okongwu and Wiseman aren't future Goberts/rich man's Bams in the making (I mean their potential).
I think Okongwu has a very similar ceiling to Bam actually, funny that you mention it. Okongwu is 6'9" with a 7'1" wingspan, Adebayo is 6'9" with a 7'2" wingspan. Very very similar college production, except Okongwu was a bit better at everything besides turnovers. He could end up as a Derrick Favors / Serge Ibaka type, but I think he could also end up in the same tier as Adebayo / Horford. Okongwu has elite defensive ability, comfortably able to cover 1-5. Many sites actually compare Okongwu to Adebayo, or Tristan Thompson if he could actually score.

Wiseman is a complete wildcard. Could be DeAndre Jordan with some range and the ability to shoot FTs, could be Hasheem Thabeet.

I personally wouldn't, as I have my eyes set on a bunch of guys rather than thinking this draft has the players worth moving up for. Just saw the idea somewhere online
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #122 on: October 11, 2020, 07:31:26 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I think Okongwu has a very similar ceiling to Bam actually, funny that you mention it. Okongwu is 6'9" with a 7'1" wingspan, Adebayo is 6'9" with a 7'2" wingspan. Very very similar college production, except Okongwu was a bit better at everything besides turnovers. He could end up as a Derrick Favors / Serge Ibaka type, but I think he could also end up in the same tier as Adebayo / Horford. Okongwu has elite defensive ability, comfortably able to cover 1-5. Many sites actually compare Okongwu to Adebayo, or Tristan Thompson if he could actually score.

Wiseman is a complete wildcard. Could be DeAndre Jordan with some range and the ability to shoot FTs, could be Hasheem Thabeet.

I personally wouldn't, as I have my eyes set on a bunch of guys rather than thinking this draft has the players worth moving up for. Just saw the idea somewhere online

I'm shocked at this narrative about Wiseman. I really don't think his floor is that low. Thabeet didn't want to play basketball. He was soft. He didn't enjoy the game and physicality. On top of that, Thabeet was 7'3'' but he was not a good athlete and didn't have a great feel for the game.

If Wiseman had played a full season at Memphis with production around 18-10-2, this wouldn't even be a debate. Because he didn't play a full season, people drop his floor out from under him.

He is every bit the prospect DeAndre Ayton was several year ago, and both guys had the same trouble with the NCAA their freshman year. The size, athleticism, touch, and interior scoring are all right there. I'd argue that Wiseman is a better defender and less scarred of contact that Ayton at the same stage.

His floor is Cauley-Stein (and he is a much, much better player than WCS at the same age). His ceiling is dominance.

« Reply #123 on: October 11, 2020, 09:10:59 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd do it. I like Langford and Edwards but neither are the prospects that Wiseman or Okongwu are.

« Reply #124 on: October 11, 2020, 09:16:11 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I'm shocked at this narrative about Wiseman. I really don't think his floor is that low. Thabeet didn't want to play basketball. He was soft. He didn't enjoy the game and physicality. On top of that, Thabeet was 7'3'' but he was not a good athlete and didn't have a great feel for the game.

If Wiseman had played a full season at Memphis with production around 18-10-2, this wouldn't even be a debate. Because he didn't play a full season, people drop his floor out from under him.

He is every bit the prospect DeAndre Ayton was several year ago, and both guys had the same trouble with the NCAA their freshman year. The size, athleticism, touch, and interior scoring are all right there. I'd argue that Wiseman is a better defender and less scarred of contact that Ayton at the same stage.

His floor is Cauley-Stein (and he is a much, much better player than WCS at the same age). His ceiling is dominance.
It was definitely hyperbolic on my part, Thabeet just came to mind as he’s similarly sized.

I do think that with his head on straight Wiseman could be like the ultimate version of DeAndre Jordan. Freakish athlete with the ability to dominate inside shooting over 65% from the field, can defend really well and rebound everything. Only difference is shooting touch

« Reply #125 on: October 11, 2020, 11:09:01 AM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
the C's need 3 things.  @ of which are commonly discussed.
1) "larger" C defensive upgrade to be on the floor with and instead of theis.
2) More scoring for the bench.  This is partially due to the injuries to Rwill and GH for large chunks of the year.
3) What isn't discussed is the back of the roster consolidation.  With three more picks the C's need to turn 3-4 into 1 player, especially with potential FA prospects.  For this reason I need to see a trade or two this year to turn 3 picks, and a few of the back 5-6 guys on the roster into 2 top 9 rotation players.  20mpg guys.  semi, romero, poirer, kanter, gwill, rwill, waters, fall, wanna, edwards, green.  None played 20mpg.   Maybe poirer, kanter, Rwill +first or two for Mitch rob and taj gib.  Throw in a lower player or two if they want.  This may not be the right trade, but one like it would solidify the bench and make some room for FA's and picks.

« Reply #126 on: October 16, 2020, 11:38:42 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
What are people’s thoughts on Christian Wood?

« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2020, 06:33:15 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I think he's basically unattainable. My take is that Detroit rate him really highly and want him as a piece for the future.

« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2020, 07:35:07 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I believe he'd be a perfect fit in our system + a clear upgrade over Theis. Problem is, we cannot afford him in free agency. Even if Hayward opts out, I still don't think the non-taxpayer MLE would get the job done. Basically we can only acquire him in a sign and trade, which means that we'd become hard capped at the apron. To put it another way, we'd have to part ways with one of Kemba/Hayward/Smart in order to end up below the apron. Not sure whether Danny would be willing to do that.

« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2020, 07:42:08 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I believe he'd be a perfect fit in our system + a clear upgrade over Theis. Problem is, we cannot afford him in free agency. Even if Hayward opts out, I still don't think the non-taxpayer MLE would get the job done. Basically we can only acquire him in a sign and trade, which means that we'd become hard capped at the apron. To put it another way, we'd have to part ways with one of Kemba/Hayward/Smart in order to end up below the apron. Not sure whether Danny would be willing to do that.
Has Wood even took a part of a high stake game in his career? How do you know he is a clear upgrade over theis who proved himself vs Philly and Toronto?
Let some other team overpay Wood and if he is even close to expectation trade for him if we have assets left.
There are too many examples of players who signed big contracts because advanced stats loved them just for them to become duds again. See Dedmon I can probably think of others too

« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2020, 09:40:39 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

It would be cheaper and easier to get Okongwu than to get any promising big already in the league, and he has a higher upside than most of them.

« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2020, 05:49:01 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
How about using a MLE on Nerlens Noel? One of the best back-up centers in the league.
We can offer him a legit chance to become the starting center on a playoff team.

Another interesting big is Kyle O'Quinn. He was buried on the 76ers bench behind Embiid and Horford.
We can give him more playing time. O'Quinn is a terrific rebounder and a good rim protector and post playmaker.

And a good replacement for Brad Wanamaker would be Shaquille Harrison. He can legitimately defend 1-3 and he's improving as a shooter. He's a guy that's improving under the radar.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 06:12:04 PM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2020, 05:58:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
How about using a MLE on Nerlens Noel?
One of the best back-up centers in the league.

Offer Noel a multi-year contract like 30/4 (after trading Hayward to duck below the taxlevel) and it becomes attractive for him. He has only earned $20M in his career and we can offer him a legit chance to become the starting center on a playoff team. Even if we want to upgrade him in the future that contract will be easily tradeable.

Another interesting big is Kyle O'Quinn. He was buried on the 76ers bench behind Embiid and Horford.
We can give him more playing time. O'Quinn is a terrific rebounder and a good rim protector and post playmaker.

And a good replacement for Brad Wanamaker would be Shaquille Harrison. He can legitimately defend 1-3 and he's improving as a shooter. He's a guy that's improving under the radar.
I'm a big fan of Noel, he's from New England too, I'm just unsure if he's worth our MLE. He's a really disruptive defensive force. But I do wonder if he'll really be better than Williams next year. Williams is a better passer and rebounder, Noel is a better shooter (mainly at the FT line). I think Williams has him defensively, and both box and advanced metrics seem to support that.

I would have liked O'Quinn two years ago, but his durability has gone down the toilet. 74 games in two seasons is unacceptable.

Shaq Harrison is a really interesting one. Super versatile 6'7" who can play on-ball and off-ball. He improved his scoring a lot this season. His versatility fits the bill for us

« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2020, 07:19:06 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Tristan Thompson on the MLE

Belinelli on the minimum
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2020, 07:20:09 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Too expensive for the 5.7 mil MLE
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.