Author Topic: Jaylen Brown looks like a 2-way star  (Read 38096 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown looks like a 2-way star
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2019, 07:01:48 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I think a more athletic Jimmy Butler is the best comp for him but if he was to continue growing Paul George comparison isn't out of the question in the future.
I'm not sure if there's even really a comparison for him, his game is in a pretty unique spot rn. He's not good enough at passing and ballhandling to be called a Jordan type, but he's bouncier and more athletic than our modern star wings. Maybe a bulkier '99 Frobe with less isolationist tendencies and a more team-friendly+modern (but less potent self creator) game?
How about Andrew Wiggins? He ain't half bad this season averaging 25.5 points on 47.3% from the field. It seems he has improved his court vision as well averaging 3.3 assists (career high) and 1.5 turnover (career low).
Not too sure about that, I think they have vastly different physical builds aside from having similar height and length. Brown's bulkier and more explosive, while Wiggins is more of a leaper and is much leaner, and it shows in their playstyles imo (Brown is much more decisive than Wiggins, he isn't as ball dominant). But the same could be said for '99 Frobe (although to a lesser extent since he had to play in a supporting role to Shaq) so I guess it's alright lol. If you put a gun to my head I'd say he's a super diluted MJ (smaller hands, worse playmaking/ballhandling/scoring and less of a leaper) with a more modern game (better shooter, more willing to play off ball), I just don't see many SG/SF guys with Jaylen's burst and stocky build in the 6'6-6'7 range, only MJ really comes to mind.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2019, 07:02:11 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I think a more athletic Jimmy Butler is the best comp for him but if he was to continue growing Paul George comparison isn't out of the question in the future.
I'm not sure if there's even really a comparison for him, his game is in a pretty unique spot rn. He's not good enough at passing and ballhandling to be called a Jordan type, but he's bouncier and more athletic than our modern star wings. Maybe a bulkier '99 Frobe with less isolationist tendencies and a more team-friendly+modern (but less potent self creator) game?
How about Andrew Wiggins? He ain't half bad this season averaging 25.5 points on 47.3% from the field. It seems he has improved his court vision as well averaging 3.3 assists (career high) and 1.5 turnover (career low).
I don't know about that comparison. They're really hard to compare in terms of efficiency, rebounding, defence and even simple shot attempts.

Wiggins is finally looking like the guy he was going to be from 2016-17 onward. He should be an all-time great with that athletic profile alongside his skills.
I watched him versus Denver.
To me, he doesn't look like a capable on-ball man, especially in the late game situations.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2019, 07:02:59 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Not too sure about that, I think they have vastly different physical builds aside from having similar height and length. Brown's bulkier and more explosive, while Wiggins is more of a leaper and is much leaner, and it shows in their playstyles imo (Brown is much more decisive than Wiggins, he isn't as ball dominant). But the same could be said for '99 Frobe (although to a lesser extent since he had to play in a supporting role to Shaq) so I guess it's alright lol. If you out a gun to my head I'd say he's a super diluted MJ (smaller hands, worse playmaking/ballhandling/scoring and less of a leaper) with a more modern game (better shooter, more willing to play off ball), I just don't see many SG/SF guys with Jaylen's burst and stocky build in the 6'6-6'7 range.
Yeah, the only guy I can remember that was similarly strong to JB at SG/SF was Joe Johnson, but he wasn't nearly the same athlete JB is.

He can just be the first JB ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2019, 07:04:37 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Not too sure about that, I think they have vastly different physical builds aside from having similar height and length. Brown's bulkier and more explosive, while Wiggins is more of a leaper and is much leaner, and it shows in their playstyles imo (Brown is much more decisive than Wiggins, he isn't as ball dominant). But the same could be said for '99 Frobe (although to a lesser extent since he had to play in a supporting role to Shaq) so I guess it's alright lol. If you out a gun to my head I'd say he's a super diluted MJ (smaller hands, worse playmaking/ballhandling/scoring and less of a leaper) with a more modern game (better shooter, more willing to play off ball), I just don't see many SG/SF guys with Jaylen's burst and stocky build in the 6'6-6'7 range.
Yeah, the only guy I can remember that was similarly strong to JB at SG/SF was Joe Johnson, but he wasn't nearly the same athlete JB is.

He can just be the first JB ;D
Haha ikr, let's enjoy the first JB in the NBA 8)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2019, 07:53:33 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I like the the way Jaylen is getting his scoring opportunities and moving the ball. His improved handle has allowed him better court vision. With everyone healthy I’d like to see him the ball before Tatum. Tatum can make some difficult shots. He’s got a skip for that. But I’d much rather those shots or opportunities go to brown. Less dribbling from Tatum and more moving without the ball.

« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2019, 08:05:09 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Through 9 games Jaylen is the team's second leading scorer at 19.8 PPG and second leading rebounder at 7.2 per game.

« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2019, 08:22:15 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Through 9 games Jaylen is the team's second leading scorer at 19.8 PPG and second leading rebounder at 7.2 per game.

Time to trade him for Sabonis.  ;)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2019, 08:25:39 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

That guy averaging 20/13/4? Hmm...

I jest, because Brown is I think more valuable now that he has his handle and finishing down pat. He's also hitting his FT's
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2019, 08:39:23 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Brown has always had the physical gifts and determination to succeed; it's fantastic to see it all coming together. His improved body control, ball-handling, and finishing around the rim are super-impressive and things people might not have seen coming. He is literally unguardable 1-on-1 since his hesitation moves are so quick and he can go by anybody at will.

Most guys with his athletic profile aren't able to also create their own shot from mid-range or downtown (he is still a much better catch and shoot player from 3), but he seems to have all the moves in his arsenal. For years we were hoping he could be like Jimmy Butler - and don't get me wrong, that would still be great - but I think his ceiling has raised a bit.

And let's not forget the All-NBA level defense. I am happy to see Wiggins is finally clicking, but they are not even remotely close as players due to being on completely different spectrums as defenders.

« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2019, 08:43:28 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

That guy averaging 20/13/4? Hmm...

I jest, because Brown is I think more valuable now that he has his handle and finishing down pat. He's also hitting his FT's
Sabonis is a monster, but his value will always be limited due to his average defense unless he cranks up his offense to that of an elite big man offensive centrepiece. I'll take Brown over him every day of the week.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2019, 08:46:47 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Brown has always had the physical gifts and determination to succeed; it's fantastic to see it all coming together. His improved body control, ball-handling, and finishing around the rim are super-impressive and things people might not have seen coming. He is literally unguardable 1-on-1 since his hesitation moves are so quick and he can go by anybody at will.

Most guys with his athletic profile aren't able to also create their own shot from mid-range or downtown (he is still a much better catch and shoot player from 3), but he seems to have all the moves in his arsenal. For years we were hoping he could be like Jimmy Butler - and don't get me wrong, that would still be great - but I think his ceiling has raised a bit.

And let's not forget the All-NBA level defense. I am happy to see Wiggins is finally clicking, but they are not even remotely close as players due to being on completely different spectrums as defenders.
I love Brown but I'll have to see more elite creation skills from him before I can agree with that statement. I think he really needs to establish the threat of him pulling up and sinking a contested jumpshot before he can be on that level, as well as improve his passing to exploit double teams (the latter is what Kawhi did this season, he might finally put up an offensive season rivaling or even besting the 2nd rung of great perimeter engines in the game, eg. Kobe/Wade).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2019, 09:10:15 AM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

I love Brown but I'll have to see more elite creation skills from him before I can agree with that statement. I think he really needs to establish the threat of him pulling up and sinking a contested jumpshot before he can be on that level, as well as improve his passing to exploit double teams (the latter is what Kawhi did this season, he might finally put up an offensive season rivaling or even besting the 2nd rung of great perimeter engines in the game, eg. Kobe/Wade).

Brown was fantastic on both sides of the ball last night.  I see tremendous improvement in his court vision and passing.  I know it is early in the season and old habits die hard, but from what I have seen, he is already greatly improved in this area.

« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2019, 09:17:35 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Brown doesn't need to be a great play maker to be a two-way star. He just needs to be a okay to good one, making simple passes. That bounce pass to Tatum on the break was really impressive and overall he's done a much better job at it this year.

Even a small climb in his assists and assist rate will be pretty big deal given how low it was for a scoring wing to begin with. Same goes for Tatum as well.

« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2019, 10:00:20 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Brown was fantastic on both sides of the ball last night.  I see tremendous improvement in his court vision and passing.  I know it is early in the season and old habits die hard, but from what I have seen, he is already greatly improved in this area.
Yes I am aware of that, I was one of the first people on this forum to bang this particular drum during FIBA, apologies for my mistake. What I meant is to go from being "just" able to exploit double teams to being able to create high value shots for his teammates with regularity, so his offensive game develops into the complete package: efficient volume scoring and high quality passing combined with good ball security to consistently find high quality looks for himself and his teammates, something that all offensive megastars in NBA history manage to do. But yeah the passing part is a bit irrelevant when it comes to pure 1 on 1 ability, I probably just need more evidence of him being able to hit tough contested pullups to agree with your statement.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2019, 10:01:28 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Brown doesn't need to be a great play maker to be a two-way star. He just needs to be a okay to good one, making simple passes. That bounce pass to Tatum on the break was really impressive and overall he's done a much better job at it this year.

Even a small climb in his assists and assist rate will be pretty big deal given how low it was for a scoring wing to begin with. Same goes for Tatum as well.
Agreed, I was just talking about what he needs to go from an All-NBA guy into an MVP candidate. But I'd be incredibly happy with either outcome!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA