Poll

Kemba looks fine. But should the Celts trade him?

No
18 (54.5%)
Yes
15 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Kemba looks fine. But should the Celts trade him?  (Read 7467 times)

Re: Kemba looks fine. But should the Celts trade him?
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2021, 09:00:31 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I wouldn't trade him w/o getting a fantastic return (ie - Kemba and a 1st for Beal or Simmons).
I am not all that interested in Beal but if we could get Simmons, great.  I would trade Kemba for Simmons and play Simmons as our PF/Swing.

Beal is a good player with value but just not what we need right now.  Simmons to me fits in.  Beal, not so much.  It would be good value though to get Beal, maybe a good start to a 3-way.

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2021, 09:17:19 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
I would trade Kemba for the right deal easily.

Not sure if there is a market out there in which Kemba brings back value that, on paper, equals what should be expected as return for an allstar.

Just looking down through some of the teams out there who do NOT need Kemba

Atlanta-Young
Brooklyn-Irving
Charlotte-Ball
Chicago
Cleveland-Sexton/Garland
Detroit
Indiana-Brogdon
Miami-Dragic/Nunn
Milwaukee - Jrue but Maybe?
NYK
Orlando - Fultz, Anthony
Philly-Maybe?
Toronto - Lowry
Washington - Westbrook - Who knows
Dallas - Maybe
Denver - Murray
GSW - Curry
Houston - Wall
Clippers
Lakers-Denis
Memphis-Morant
Minny-Russell
NOP-Ball/Bledsoe. KiraLEwis, maybe?
OKC
Phoenix-Paul
Portland-Lillard
Kings- Fox/Halliburton
San Antonio - Murray/White Maybe?
Utah-Conley/Mitchell

That leaves 5 teams as most likely and 3 maybes
Chicago - OPJ and something else
Detroit - Not sure what that deal would look like
NYK -  Not sure what that deal would look like
Clippers - Would have to include morris
OKC - Dort, Ariza and Hill for Kemba

Maybes
Bucks - cannot see a deal working
Pelicans - Ball, Reddick, NAW for Kemba?
Spurs - Murray and Gay for Kemba and Edwards.

I would be very tempted with both the OKC and Spurs deals proposed with Chicago coming in next depending on what the (Plus) is

OKC deal:
Dort, Ariza, Hill for Kemba and Edwards

Hill/PP/Teague
Dort/Smart/Nesmith
Brown/Green/Romeo
Tatum/GrantW/Semi
Thompson/Theis/Timelord

SAS deal
Murray and Gay for Kemba and Edwards

Murray/PP/Teague
Smart/Green/Romeo
Brown/Gay/Nesmith
Tatum/GrantW/Semi
Thompson/Theis/Timelord

I would make either of those 2 deals no takebacks. The returns are not as good as the outgoing Kemba in a bubble, but I think fit for the team is far superior.

'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2021, 09:21:29 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
I wouldn't trade him w/o getting a fantastic return (ie - Kemba and a 1st for Beal or Simmons).
I am not all that interested in Beal but if we could get Simmons, great.  I would trade Kemba for Simmons and play Simmons as our PF/Swing.

Beal is a good player with value but just not what we need right now.  Simmons to me fits in.  Beal, not so much.  It would be good value though to get Beal, maybe a good start to a 3-way.

Kemba for Simmons is a very interesting deal.

Smart/PP/Teague
Brown/Green/Edwards
Tatum/Nesmith/Romeo
Simmons/GrantW/Semi
Thompson.Theis/Timelord

Small ball would be
PP
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Simmons

Team would run people into the ground and play excellent defense.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2021, 09:48:20 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

Not sure if there is a market out there in which Kemba brings back value that, on paper, equals what should be expected as return for an allstar.

Atlanta-Young
Brooklyn-Irving
Charlotte-Ball
Chicago
Cleveland-Sexton/Garland
Detroit
Indiana-Brogdon
Miami-Dragic/Nunn
NYK
Orlando - Fultz, Anthony
Philly-Maybe?
Toronto - Lowry
Dallas - Maybe
Denver - Murray
GSW - Curry
Houston - Wall
Clippers
Lakers-Denis
Memphis-Morant
Minny-Russell
OKC
Phoenix-Paul
Portland-Lillard
Kings- Fox/Halliburton
Utah-Conley/Mitchell

Maybes

I would be very tempted with both the OKC and Spurs deals proposed with Chicago coming in next depending on what the (Plus) is

OKC deal:

Hill/PP/Teague
Dort/Smart/Nesmith
Brown/Green/Romeo
Tatum/GrantW/Semi
Thompson/Theis/Timelord

SAS deal

Murray/PP/Teague
Smart/Green/Romeo
Brown/Gay/Nesmith
Tatum/GrantW/Semi
Thompson/Theis/Timelord

I would make either of those 2 deals no takebacks. The returns are not as good as the outgoing Kemba in a bubble, but I think fit for the team is far superior.
There is no way to get Dort for Kemba. I think Danny can do something like:
Ariza, Hill, Jackson, Miller for Kemba (plus ~$4M trade kicker) , Carsen plus Nesmith and an additional player fitting in one of the trade exceptions that OKC have ( maybe they ask for romeo or Timelord but I would give them Green or Grant or Theis)
It’s basically a stealth salary dump for the Celtics while getting a $34.4M trade expection to replace the Hayward TPE.
OKC maybe get to compete with Kemba and Horford for the playoffs spot and we get financial flexibility to acquire a third star ... I think has to be at least considered by Danny and team.
In conclusion it’s hard to see us getting a good young prospect for Kemba ... most likely we have to attach something to his deal but OKC might be a willing partner because currently they have $25M of wasted payroll for players that don’t contribute but take roster spots.

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2021, 09:49:00 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
I wouldn't trade him w/o getting a fantastic return (ie - Kemba and a 1st for Beal or Simmons). He has great chemistry with the Jays and has already deferred to them in interviews by calling them the team's two superstars. He understands his role on the team.

I said a similar thing in the Nets thread when the Harden trade was completed, but having three elite scorers can be a plus - not a negative. You can always have two of Tatum/Brown/Kemba on the floor at the same time and that puts a lot of pressure on other teams.

In line with the last point - with the emergence of Pritchard, and Teague as another back-up, Smart should essentially be a wing at this point. We have a need at that position, not for him being a primary ball-handler. We need his effort on D and as a secondary playmaker. Let the other three guys initiate the offense.

The one thing we should all be happy about - and something that I was vocally confident about - is that Kemba moved like pre-injury Kemba. Of course we'll have to see if that lasts, but that player was a starter in the All-Star game last year. You don't trade somebody like that for Otto Porter. Let him get reacclimated and see where we are. We played pretty well even with a hobbled Kemba in last year's playoffs. One good thing to come of this is the death of the two-big line-up.

You really think Walker plus a 1st would net you Beal or Simmons? Two star players that are still in there 20’s vs an undersized 30+ year old guard, that has has chronic knee problems. I know as fans we overvalue our players, but dammmnn.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2021, 09:52:36 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Atlanta-Young
Brooklyn-Irving
Charlotte-Ball
Chicago
Cleveland-Sexton/Garland
Detroit
Indiana-Brogdon
Miami-Dragic/Nunn
NYK
Orlando - Fultz, Anthony
Philly-Maybe?
Toronto - Lowry
Dallas - Maybe
Denver - Murray
GSW - Curry
Houston - Wall
Clippers
Lakers-Denis
Memphis-Morant
Minny-Russell
OKC
Phoenix-Paul
Portland-Lillard
Kings- Fox/Halliburton
Utah-Conley/Mitchell

Maybes

OKC deal:

Hill/PP/Teague
Dort/Smart/Nesmith
Brown/Green/Romeo
Tatum/GrantW/Semi
Thompson/Theis/Timelord

SAS deal

Murray/PP/Teague
Smart/Green/Romeo
Brown/Gay/Nesmith
Tatum/GrantW/Semi
Thompson/Theis/Timelord

Ariza, Hill, Jackson, Miller for Kemba (plus ~$4M trade kicker) , Carsen plus Nesmith and an additional player fitting in one of the trade exceptions that OKC have ( maybe they ask for romeo or Timelord but I would give them Green or Grant or Theis)
It’s basically a stealth salary dump for the Celtics while getting a $34.4M trade expection to replace the Hayward TPE.
OKC maybe get to compete with Kemba and Horford for the playoffs spot and we get financial flexibility to acquire a third star ... I think has to be at least considered by Danny and team.
In conclusion it’s hard to see us getting a good young prospect for Kemba ... most likely we have to attach something to his deal but OKC might be a willing partner because currently they have $25M of wasted payroll for players that don’t contribute but take roster spots.

A little depressing Ainge drafted Waters and Edwards over an undrafted Dort.

And now OKC wouldnt give him up for Walker

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2021, 09:54:00 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Are people just forgetting the great chemistry that Kemba had last year with the Jays?

He comes back, and when he was in the game, the plan was to feed him to get him acclimated to playing NBA basketball again. In many ways, I think it may have been more important to the team to get Kemba back up to speed than it was to win the game.

Kemba looked physically great. His speed and burst was there. His decision making was a bit slow and his confidence didn't seem all there yet. But it looks like the "Kemba is all done/Kemba will be a liability" crowd sure may have been completely wrong.

Let's get Tatum and Timelord back, Kemba integrated with the rest of the team and I think the team will start settling into roles they will be in the rest of the season.

There is no need to move Kemba. Especially since he is probably that consistent additional scoring threat this team can definitely use.

I don't remember any chemistry at all. We had 3, and sometimes 4, players that didn't need anyone else to score, and that can work OK in the NBA, but its not chemistry.

It looked bad because Kemba + Smart can very easily devolve into no ball movement. The difference between Friday and Sunday was absurd. Smart can't quite screw up ball movement alone, but he sure does his fair share, and if Kemba and/or Tatum is also out there and isn't scoring enough to make up for the lack of movement, its awful.  Tatum usually can score enough. Kemba has to be making shots to make up for his impact on ball movement and defense.

I was very disappointed in Kemba because he didn't appear to have thought through how to play differently. Instead, he tried to play exactly the same way as when he was the #1 option last year. Brown got enough shots, because he finds a way to have his spurts, but Kemba certainly didn't make any plays for him, or look for him.

Kemba didn't move the ball enough. And Marcus Smart is a problem that won't go away.

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2021, 10:12:38 AM »

Offline wreckoner

• NCE
  • Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 11
the last two playoff runs, marcus smart and jaylen brown are the only ones who showed up to fight consistently. smart is not a problem.

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2021, 10:12:56 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
With Walker knee health condition, only a selected teams would take him/rest of his salary

My guess is that Bulls, Magic would be interested. With outside interest from Knicks, Wolves

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2021, 10:33:04 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

I think there is a chance to get Dort and nothing for Kemba.

Kemba is an allstar capable of going off for 50 points on any given night while averaging 20ppg+, 4rpg+ and 5apg+.
Dort is an exciting young prospect but Kemba is proven. Kemba immediately improves the Thunder to playoff contention.

Dort might not even start for us. (but probably)
Hill is not worth anything
Ariza is nothing

'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2021, 10:35:30 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
You really think Walker plus a 1st would net you Beal or Simmons? Two star players that are still in there 20’s vs an undersized 30+ year old guard, that has has chronic knee problems. I know as fans we overvalue our players, but dammmnn.

I mentioned Simmons in response to another post suggesting it.  I don't think right now, the Sixers would do it, certainly not straight up, but I think that Kemba could be a good fit for them.  There is no guarantee that he is healthy though so I don't think Philly would even discuss it right now.

The big 3 of Embiid, Harris, and Simmons has struggled to fulfill expectations.  A big 3 of Embiid, Harris, and Walker (healthy, and playing at an all star level) is something they may consider if their current big 3 continue to underperform.  The "healthy and playing at an all star level" for Kemba may be a pipe dream at this point but Simmons has his own injury history/concerns.

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2021, 10:40:54 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

Atlanta-Young
Brooklyn-Irving
Charlotte-Ball
Chicago
Cleveland-Sexton/Garland
Detroit
Indiana-Brogdon
Miami-Dragic/Nunn
NYK
Orlando - Fultz, Anthony
Philly-Maybe?
Toronto - Lowry
Dallas - Maybe
Denver - Murray
GSW - Curry
Houston - Wall
Clippers
Lakers-Denis
Memphis-Morant
Minny-Russell
OKC
Phoenix-Paul
Portland-Lillard
Kings- Fox/Halliburton
Utah-Conley/Mitchell

Maybes

OKC deal:

Hill/PP/Teague
Dort/Smart/Nesmith
Brown/Green/Romeo
Tatum/GrantW/Semi
Thompson/Theis/Timelord

SAS deal

Murray/PP/Teague
Smart/Green/Romeo
Brown/Gay/Nesmith
Tatum/GrantW/Semi
Thompson/Theis/Timelord

A little depressing Ainge drafted Waters and Edwards over an undrafted Dort.

And now OKC wouldnt give him up for Walker

Again, I think they would be foolish not to give him up for Kemba.

Dort has only scored over 20 points 4 times in his career. Career high is 30.

Kemba has scored over 20 320+ times and a career high of 60

Kemba makes OKC immediately better and better for the next few years.

Kemba is a top 1 or 2 option on a contending team, I am not sure that Dort is that.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2021, 10:42:34 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

I mentioned Simmons in response to another post suggesting it.  I don't think right now, the Sixers would do it, certainly not straight up, but I think that Kemba could be a good fit for them.  There is no guarantee that he is healthy though so I don't think Philly would even discuss it right now.

The big 3 of Embiid, Harris, and Simmons has struggled to fulfill expectations.  A big 3 of Embiid, Harris, and Walker (healthy, and playing at an all star level) is something they may consider if their current big 3 continue to underperform.  The "healthy and playing at an all star level" for Kemba may be a pipe dream at this point but Simmons has his own injury history/concerns.

Kemba
Thybulle
Green
Harris
Embiid

That is a filthy team.

Smart
Brown
Tatum
Simmons
Thompson

That is a filthy team as well
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2021, 11:00:38 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
How about:

Aaron Nesmith and Daniel Theis to Pelicans

Jackson Hayes and Kemba to Orlando

Alexander-Walker, Vucevic and Ross to Boston

NAW/PP/Teague
Smart/Green/Edwards
Brown/Ross/Romeo
Tatum/GrantW/Semi
Vucevic/Thompson/Timelord

Team still has all MLEs entact.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2021, 11:02:13 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
the last two playoff runs, marcus smart and jaylen brown are the only ones who showed up to fight consistently. smart is not a problem.

You can be a competitor and a fighter, and still be a problem. He vacillates on offense between being a solid, limited role player and being one of the worst offensive players in the league, and his best attribute, his competitiveness, is also his worst attribute. He simply does not accept his limitations.