Author Topic: The silence of Royce White  (Read 8923 times)

Re: The silence of Royce White
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 11:30:31 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It was believed that Jackson had a promise from somebody, since he cancelled a bunch of visits while claiming he was injured.  Some suspected Ainge because he was in a position to see a lot of games.  The Blazers and Nets were teams that were also considered as possibilities, but Chad for said it was the Heat. 
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 12:17:49 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1420
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Another odd element of this is that Royce White has not worked out for the Celtics as far as any of us know.

Its funny - given that the C's are generally tightlipped about draft workouts, people should assume that the list of names we know to have worked out for us is just a sample.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 12:29:45 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2981
ROyce White.... no brainer .......DO IT DANNY !!!!

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 12:39:19 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'm wondering if this is some sort of ploy by Danny to get a team ahead of us to draft White in the hopes Danny's real "interest" therefore might slip down to us.  Maybe even get a team behind us to trade ahead of us to pick him?

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 12:54:51 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Another odd element of this is that Royce White has not worked out for the Celtics as far as any of us know.

Its funny - given that the C's are generally tightlipped about draft workouts, people should assume that the list of names we know to have worked out for us is just a sample.

My thinking was the opposite... given that Boston has the most crazy-papparazzi sports media, I was thinking there's no way they could keep it a secret.

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 01:06:25 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
I really like Royce White and I want the Celtics to take him, but...
There is 0 chance that Danny promised to pick anybody.  He probably likes him and told him we would pick him if he falls to us.  The way I see it, Royce White's agent was seeing that Royce wasn't doing great in the workouts.  He mentioned some small injury in his twitter account even around the combine time. 
His agent figures well we cancel the rest of the workouts, and instead of him lowering his stock, people start speculating he has a promise.  His name is all over twitter and all of a sudden teams maybe looking to see if they missed something with this kid. 
Maybe they'll ignore their concern for his off court issue because if a team like Boston thinks he's OK maybe it's not that bad... etc.  Brilliant PR move by the kids agent because his name's never been more popular.  Highly doubt Danny promised to pick a kid who didn't even work out with us. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
Danny watched White work out for two days at the Combine, and interviewed him as well, along with medical tests.

Bringing him in for another workout wouldn't really reveal too much more.

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2012, 01:58:06 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
There is 0 chance that Danny promised to pick anybody.

I'd argue that Ainge might be the GM most likely to issue a promise to draft someone.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 09:07:27 PM »

Offline Eris

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 12
Sorry but I'm getting the JR Giddens feeling on this one
With Ray leaving most likely, I'd rather get a shooter like John Jenkins.
KG wants to go to PF again so we need a C, Fab Melo is best option there at 22
The C's aren't getting their center out of this draft. Center is going to be a free agent, I think.

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2012, 09:18:55 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 422
I have a bit of a conspiracy theory,

My guess is that a team like Atlanta #23 , Clevland #24 Memphis #25 either

A. really likes white and gave him a guarantee, in which case danny leaked out that boston was the team shutting him down with hopes that this will spark interest from teams in the 15-20 range. Potentially pushing another player down to the Cs. (sullinger?)

B. really like him and Danny is trying to bluff them that he will draft White at #21 taking him off the board for the other teams. This could either cause a team to trade up with the Cs or trade to a team before the Cs. Either way it raises the value of the 21st pick.

C. if clevland wants white but is worried that ATL is going to take him then boston sends #21 (white) + #51 to clevland for #24 and #34. (the cavs have 4 pics in top 34 its not likely that they want 4 more rookies on there roster.) Boston has worked out a number for guys projected to go 30-40 making a early 2nd round pick a possibility.

The other obvious thing is just the Danny see alot of potential and is willing to role the dice with white. I could see him and a resigned J Green being a nice forward combo.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 09:25:27 AM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2012, 11:38:09 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 378
every year we hear that Danny "promised" someone to draft him...and every year they end up wrong.

wasnt there that PG who was drafted by OKC last year danny supposedly had a promise to?

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2012, 12:20:46 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

My thinking was the opposite... given that Boston has the most crazy-papparazzi sports media, I was thinking there's no way they could keep it a secret.

My recollection is that Danny has tended to do a fair amount of sitting in on other teams' private workouts without it getting leaked to the press.

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2012, 01:15:38 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Sorry but I'm getting the JR Giddens feeling on this one
With Ray leaving most likely, I'd rather get a shooter like John Jenkins.
KG wants to go to PF again so we need a C, Fab Melo is best option there at 22
fab melo is the most overrated player in the first round. Even more so than Perry Jones. He litrerally has done nothing to warrant the 1st round selection hes projected as.