Author Topic: Avery Bradley rejected a four-year extension, worth 24 mil  (Read 29311 times)

Re: Avery Bradley rejected a four-year extension, worth 24 mil
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2013, 08:43:03 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
There is no story here.  This was the case of a player with a lot of talent and potential, who was injured a lot during his first three years, and still had too many questions at the end of year 3 to sign an extension based on potential. 

It is really rare for players who are not max or near max players to sign extensions after their third year in the league for this reason.  It is just hard to agree on a market value on a guy at that point.  Generally speaking the player and agent will see a lot of potential for improvement in year 4, and they don't want to leave a lot of money on the table if that happens, but teams rarely agree to pay a premium for "potential" of a player when they still have him under contract for 1 more year, and have his RFA rights for another year.

I don't think it's a given that Bradley is back next year, but I think there is a much better chance he signs an extension this summer after testing the market, than there was that he would have signed an early extension. 

« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2013, 09:15:34 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
6 Mill is pretty nice for a undersized SG that hasn't been healthy for a full season. I love Bradley, and he's been playing really well, but he's not a cornerstone, he's a complementary player. At least right now.

Also with the new CBA, Rondo's contract coming I could see DA not wanting to just pay guys what ever. The thing is with the new CBA your going to see a lot of GM's not over paying guys like they've done in the past. So while 8 Mill a  year is the norm for a guy like Bradley now, 6 will mist likely be the norm with in a few years.

I know DA really talks highly of AB, so it kinda makes you wonder also if the slightly under the norm payday is because of a future possible move.

« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2013, 09:35:49 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
6 Mill is pretty nice for a undersized SG that hasn't been healthy for a full season. I love Bradley, and he's been playing really well, but he's not a cornerstone, he's a complementary player. At least right now.

Also with the new CBA, Rondo's contract coming I could see DA not wanting to just pay guys what ever. The thing is with the new CBA your going to see a lot of GM's not over paying guys like they've done in the past. So while 8 Mill a  year is the norm for a guy like Bradley now, 6 will mist likely be the norm with in a few years.

I know DA really talks highly of AB, so it kinda makes you wonder also if the slightly under the norm payday is because of a future possible move.

$8 mill is the norm for a guy like Bradley now?  I am not sure there is a norm.  He is a pretty unique player IMO.

I think Bradley is a 5-6 million a year player, and I think that is what he will end up getting when he eventually signs.  Players just don't sign for market value, if they are giving up the chance to hit free agency, which is why it didn't happen this past summer.

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2013, 09:43:15 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Trade him while he is hot and move JC to SG when RR comes back.
nice idea, you need your SG to have shoot/pass/drive ability
and JC is the choice, AB will be gone sooner or later if he  want that much of money
plus we can keep Lee then for the Rondo/JC/Lee rotation and still have defense(and size)
Crawford's defense is too bad for me to want him as a starting SG. Plus his offensive value will be greatly diminished off the ball.

Bradley at least is a plus plus defender, its his offense that was always the question. This year he seems to be settling in as a jump shooter so I'm more optimistic of him as a starter at SG than Crawford.

« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2013, 09:45:12 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Bradley is out of his mind if he thinks he is an $8 million player. He's an MLE type guy that could get that money for 4 years. What the C's offered was very generous. My guess is he will end up taking the QO or sign right in the 4 year $25 million area.

« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2013, 09:49:21 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

$8 mill is the norm for a guy like Bradley now?  I am not sure there is a norm.  He is a pretty unique player IMO.

I think Bradley is a 5-6 million a year player, and I think that is what he will end up getting when he eventually signs.  Players just don't sign for market value, if they are giving up the chance to hit free agency, which is why it didn't happen this past summer.
I don't see him getting bigger than MLE offers. He might no even get those given that the C's probably will match a Lee sized deal. (if they want to retain him)

« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2013, 09:59:02 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I don't see him getting bigger than MLE offers. He might no even get those given that the C's probably will match a Lee sized deal. (if they want to retain him)

Yeah, he won't get an offer sheet for that, because teams know the C's would just match it.  But I think, if he continues playing the way he is, Danny will probably offer him something like that, and Bradley will be more likely to take it at that point, because his agent will have at least tested the waters and saw that no teams are going to go much more than that.

« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2013, 10:01:46 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I wouldn't put it past Celtic management to leak the original story about what Bradley rejected so that teams know the C's are already committed to matching an MLE offer on Bradley, hence, clearing away those offers and making the job of signing Bradley in that range easier.

« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2013, 10:07:40 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I wouldn't put it past Celtic management to leak the original story about what Bradley rejected so that teams know the C's are already committed to matching an MLE offer on Bradley, hence, clearing away those offers and making the job of signing Bradley in that range easier.

It's possible.  Although I think it was more likely leaked by Avery's agent to set a baseline for what they are looking for in restricted free agency.  Particularly because of the timing with him coming off a number of really good games.

« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2013, 10:24:14 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Im not sure why you're arguing my statement. I said he should be around 66 mill, but if you look around the league there are players not as good or slightly better getting between 7 and 8. 

« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2013, 10:56:51 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Im not sure why you're arguing my statement. I said he should be around 66 mill, but if you look around the league there are players not as good or slightly better getting between 7 and 8.

I'm arguing with it, because I disagree with it.  I don't think $8 million is the norm for players similar to him. 

He has a pretty unique skillset, but IMO his closest comparables would be guys like Sefolosha or Tony Allen, and both of them are actually making less than the MLE.  Both of them also are more versatile defenders, so in theory may be more valuable, although I think you can pay a little bit of a premium for the remaining potential that Bradley brings to the table. 

Now, if you are just saying that there are some overpaid guys in the league, then I won't argue with you.  But I don't think the overall market value of defensive oriented guards is anywhere close to $8 million per year. 

Who are you thinking of that are similar and make about $8 million?

« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2013, 12:07:13 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I smell a trade coming up later this season. Don't you? Leverage out some longer term deals to clear roster and cap space.

Perhaps for Omer Asik and/or Kendrik Perkins.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2013, 12:34:09 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

It's possible.  Although I think it was more likely leaked by Avery's agent to set a baseline for what they are looking for in restricted free agency.  Particularly because of the timing with him coming off a number of really good games.

I would tend to think that it's more likely to be his agent, as well.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2013, 12:38:44 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

I think both make a lot of sense.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2013, 12:45:02 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Bradley put $24 million in salary chips back on the table gambling for a 25% increase against the risk of injury.

I don't think I'd have bet that if I were him.