Author Topic: Going to be a tough year for Celtic trades  (Read 9572 times)

Going to be a tough year for Celtic trades
« on: June 19, 2008, 10:26:57 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If you basically say the 5 starters along with Posey (when resigned) are off the trade table, the Celtics have the following assets

Scali - 3.2 million
Powe - 800,000 (rounded numbers)
Pruitt - 700,000
Davis - 700,000
1st round draft pick
TA sign and trade 

Not a lot of high regarded talent.  Not a lot of cap filler. 

Re: Going to be a tough year for Celtic trades
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 10:31:04 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
I dont see us making trades this offseason. I think most of our roster changes will come through FA and the Draft.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 10:31:53 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I dont see us making trades this offseason. I think most of our roster changes will come through FA and the Draft.

A season without a trade in the Danny Ainge era.   

That would be a first. 

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 10:32:18 AM »

Offline Barry Lird

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 5
As the champions (I love typing that!) I think we will be in the free agent market more than looking to trade. Do we have the full MLE at our disposal?

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 10:33:26 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
As the champions (I love typing that!) I think we will be in the free agent market more than looking to trade. Do we have the full MLE at our disposal?

Depends on Posey

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 10:35:06 AM »

Offline EarthBall

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 110
So, what holes do we need to fill? We were a pretty darn good team. Maybe a backup big man a la Greg Kite.

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 10:39:12 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Yeah, not a lot that can help us at all.  I mean, if we really want to we could sign Eddie House for up to $1.8 million, and include him in a sign-and-trade.  We still have the Bird rights to Roshown McLeod and Kandi, which we could use as expiring contracts for salary filler (but we can't give more than a 20% raise over their last salary).  But really, the pickings are slim, especially due to the Base Year Compensation rule (i.e., no Tony in a sign-and-trade).

I've seen fans talk about trading Ray Allen, to set us up for the future.  I personally hate that idea.  We need to maximize our potential now.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 10:42:44 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Yeah, not a lot that can help us at all.  I mean, if we really want to we could sign Eddie House for up to $1.8 million, and include him in a sign-and-trade.  We still have the Bird rights to Roshown McLeod and Kandi, which we could use as expiring contracts for salary filler (but we can't give more than a 20% raise over their last salary).  But really, the pickings are slim, especially due to the Base Year Compensation rule (i.e., no Tony in a sign-and-trade).

I've seen fans talk about trading Ray Allen, to set us up for the future.  I personally hate that idea.  We need to maximize our potential now.

Can't trade Ray off the title.  This trio earned the chance to win again. 

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 11:00:19 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
This team has started to build its legacy. You cant trade Ray Allen and mess with that. He only has two more years and I'm sure he'd sign on for cheap if he still wants to play after that.

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 11:02:16 AM »

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
If we assume that Ainge wants to keep the Big Three together, who on our roster can we use for trade?  

We may have to put together a package that includes Powe in order to get rid of Scal's contract.  Scal is not bad to have at the end of your bench, but only for the minimum.  I suspect Danny will have to follow the same plan from last year.  Which is to keep a roster spot or two open and wait for the right veterans to come along. Veterans who are winding down their careers and are looking to go out with a ring.

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 07:51:07 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
Why do we need to make a trade?

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 07:56:05 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

We're not moving Ray Allen days after a title to start some sort of perverse rebuilding process that some seem to have a macabre attachment to.

I've seen the suggestion, too, and it's awful. Absolutely awful. Maximize what we can do right now.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
You want a trade?

How about Pierce for Carmelo and Chucky Atkins?  Denver gets a veteran swingman who ahs proven he's a winner.  The Cs get younger a the three spot, and a nice backup PG.

Or

How about KG and Rondo for Rasheed and Billups.  Boston gets some veteran PG play, and a fine three point shooting big with a post up game, who will bring an edge to this team.  Detroit gets a young, athletic PG to pair with Stuckey, and a versatile PF.

<joking> 

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 08:04:34 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 08:05:58 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice