Author Topic: Fire Joe! ... or critique Joe ... or defend Joe... or worry about Joe's coaching  (Read 238781 times)

green_bballers13 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1401
Yes, coaches are rarely all bad or all good. Credit where credit is due, criticism where criticism is due. Some people lean excessively towards one extreme to the other, that's just human nature  :police:

Unfortunately for Joe, he can do many good things that can help the team win, but it can only take one mistake (bad decision in an elimination game for example) to sink us. He can't afford to make that one mistake because this season, like every other but even more so, is championship or bust, and mistakes and rookie errors will be looked upon very negatively  >:(
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1016
How can anyone sit here and still think the Celtics will be ok. Just terrible rotations and offensive strategy tonight

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
How can anyone sit here and still think the Celtics will be ok. Just terrible rotations and offensive strategy tonight

They're 5-2.  They've played five very good games, and two very bad ones. If we keep that up, we will be fine.

We didn't lose tonight due to rotations.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2558

Surprising gloom from you. I thought for sure you’d just attribute this to a bad game and be optimistic about game 3.

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 707
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Missed shots translated into a poor defensive performance.
That is it. This team struggles when they don’t make shots from 3 to continue to play high level defense.

The lane was so wide open tonight

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

They're 5-2.  They've played five very good games, and two very bad ones. If we keep that up, we will be fine.

The rotations were definitely awful, at least the continued insistence on going with the "white guy lineup" when both Kornet and Hauser were killed in the first half. X deserved to play more - he was literally the only positive +/- guy of the non-scrub guys who played. His ability to stay with guys and switch on the perimeter was definitely needed over Kornet and Hauser who continuously got burned.

But, yes, this was not a Joe loss, I don't think. This was a loss where the guys didn't bring the effort from the get-go, and then exacerbated the disparity in effort by letting their shooting impact their defense and effort even more.

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett

The rotations were definitely awful, at least the continued insistence on going with the "white guy lineup" when both Kornet and Hauser were killed in the first half. X deserved to play more - he was literally the only positive +/- guy of the non-scrub guys who played. His ability to stay with guys and switch on the perimeter was definitely needed over Kornet and Hauser who continuously got burned.

But, yes, this was not a Joe loss, I don't think. This was a loss where the guys didn't bring the effort from the get-go, and then exacerbated the disparity in effort by letting their shooting impact their defense and effort even more.

Just the usual lazy Game 2 where they show up and think the other team will just fall over  :-\

Let's hope that the odds are in Joe's favor (assuming he's still there by Saturday) and that Cleveland won't shoot 46% from 3 again and we won't shoot 22% again  :(

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1626
  • What a Pub Should Be

Just the usual lazy Game 2 where they show up and think the other team will just fall over  :-\

Let's hope that the odds are in Joe's favor (assuming he's still there by Saturday) and that Cleveland won't shoot 46% from 3 again and we won't shoot 22% again  :(

I'm willing to say that's a safe assumption.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1016
Well. Still his fault for getting KP injured (when KP was asking to come out of the game but Joe refused) and without KP's presence is another reason why they lost Game 2 last night. He ain't off the hook for that, even though he was one attribute to last night's loss.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 176
This is the first time I'm hearing about Joe refusing. I didn't see KP motioning to come out at first, I just saw him trying to walk it off. Two plays later he motioned to come out and Joe did. What did I miss?

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397
I generally try to avoid this thread, but will admit I was pretty livid when we had Kornet, Hauser and Pritchard on the floor in the third quarter yesterday. That is just not enough offense or defense. I have no clue why he did that.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I generally try to avoid this thread, but will admit I was pretty livid when we had Kornet, Hauser and Pritchard on the floor in the third quarter yesterday. That is just not enough offense or defense. I have no clue why he did that.

Random guess, but it might have been successful in Game 1?

I was frustrated that he went away from the Horford / Tillman twin bigs.  I thought that helped right the ship defensively.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1696
This is the first time I'm hearing about Joe refusing. I didn't see KP motioning to come out at first, I just saw him trying to walk it off. Two plays later he motioned to come out and Joe did. What did I miss?

This is also what I saw.  He looked like he was trying to walk something off for a few plays, but I never saw him signal anything to the sidelines.  Then he aggravated the calf when he tried to push off on it a few plays later and that's when he came out.

The notion that he signaled for a sub several plays before he came out came from one particular tweet that I can no longer find (possibly user error there, I don't have twitter) and I have not seen verified anywhere else.  Seems like that would be a gigantic story if true, though.  Worsening a player's injury through negligence would get a coach crushed in the media and might even lose the team's support if it were egregious enough. 

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397

I'm willing to say that's a safe assumption.

It was hard to tell how many threes were open and how many were tough shots for Cleveland. I would feel confident saying we missed a lot of wide open shots from guys that are normally excellent shooters. Seemed like it was the worst Derrick White game in some time.