Poll

Who's the biggest sports jerk in history?

Ty Cobb
4 (16.7%)
Latrell Spreewell
0 (0%)
Pete Rose
2 (8.3%)
Tiger Woods
0 (0%)
Vince McMahon
0 (0%)
Shawn Kemp
0 (0%)
Antonio Cromartie
0 (0%)
Ben Rothlisburger
3 (12.5%)
Kobe
3 (12.5%)
Roger Clemens
1 (4.2%)
Barry Bonds
3 (12.5%)
Lawrence Taylor
0 (0%)
Patrick Ewing
0 (0%)
Larry Johnson
0 (0%)
Marty McSorley
0 (0%)
Babe Ruth
0 (0%)
Lance Armstrong
1 (4.2%)
Floyd Landis
0 (0%)
Manny Ramirez
0 (0%)
Lebron
1 (4.2%)
Rick Pitino
1 (4.2%)
Reggie Bush
0 (0%)
John Calipari
1 (4.2%)
Ray Lewis
0 (0%)
Michael Irvin
1 (4.2%)
someone else
1 (4.2%)
Brett Farve
0 (0%)
Jake LaMotta
0 (0%)
The BCS
1 (4.2%)
Tanya Harding
0 (0%)
Jose Canseco
0 (0%)
Evander Holyfied
0 (0%)
Leonard Little
0 (0%)
Mike Tyson
1 (4.2%)
Mike Vick
0 (0%)
Mark Chumura
0 (0%)
Nick Van Exel
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Historical sports jerks (Poll)  (Read 11076 times)

Re: Historical sports jerks (Poll)
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 01:07:47 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Mike Tyson ... beyond question .... biggest psycho jerk sports has ever seen.

It has to be Mike Tyson.

TP.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 01:51:53 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

I disagree.

He clearly in mentally unstable because of his upbringing and what happened in that hotel room back in '91. I am in the camp that he didn't actually "rape" her, and his reputation alone landed him in jail. Even now he is battling his demons.

Psycho, maybe. But I don't think he's as big of a "sports jerk" as most of the others listed. In boxing, creating controversy gets you paid. He is also much smarter than he looks (by ALL accounts from people that have met him).
Mike is much nicer when he is on his meds.

His documentary was really interesting. I don't see evidence that there was manufactured controversy with Tyson. He has serious anger issues and major insecurities that led to his explosions. His meds seem to have helped him a lot.

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 05:50:59 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Larry Bird isn’t on this list?

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 06:05:27 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!

True but I'd be lying if I said I didn't love the guy. In his prime he was the absolute best and I love his interviews. Always make me laugh.

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 07:21:48 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Larry Johnson of football or basketball??  Only reason I ask is you could make a case for both.
Greg

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 07:32:52 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Surprised George Steinbrenner isn't an option.

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 08:09:07 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
In most cases the biggest jerk would be so bad that he got thrown in jail or got kicked out of his league, right?  Someone like Marrice Clarrett.  I'm sure there are a million others.

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 09:55:20 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Bill Lambeer without a doubt. Still is a jerk too. Surprised he was not listed. Why would you list Pat Ewing? Makes no sense to me for him to be on the list.

Re: Historical sports d bags (Poll)
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 10:50:24 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Ty Cobb charged the stands and severely beat a crippled fan.  And was a notorious racist even by 1920s baseball standards.  No contest.

Yeah, that's who I went with.  Although Bonds seems to be the modern version of him.  Clemens may be too, but I get the feeling he is just too stupid to really understand what he is doing...Bonds just likes being a jerk.

Most of those other guys don't bother me that much though.  I could care less if guys cheat on their wives, or if they use steroids, or any of that stuff.

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
To clear up a few things...

I basically went with guys that committed serious acts of violence, especially against people weaker than them

guys that had like 19 kids with 17 women

guys that not only cheated, but then acted like we're the jerks for even askng, hence Bonds and Clemens but not Giambi or Petit

people that foisted huge frauds like Lance Armstrong (although that's pretty far from proven now)

guys that used people and treated them as highly expendable when they should have been helping them like Calipari

guys that just make you sick like Tiger

guys that said "Jesus Jesus Jesus", and then got caught with 10 kilos of coke and 4 hookers, which reminds me of Evander Holyfield and I gotta start to consider Dieon Sanders now.

I just didn't have it in me to put Tyson in there. A guy that tatoos his face and wishes he could fade into Bolivia and screams at people while almost crying "You couldn't be me for one day" just is a guy who needs help.

Also the list was jerks, not cry babies and prima donnas, cause otherwise the list would just stretch to Jericho

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2010, 11:08:30 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

I disagree.

He clearly in mentally unstable because of his upbringing and what happened in that hotel room back in '91. I am in the camp that he didn't actually "rape" her, and his reputation alone landed him in jail. Even now he is battling his demons.

Psycho, maybe. But I don't think he's as big of a "sports jerk" as most of the others listed. In boxing, creating controversy gets you paid. He is also much smarter than he looks (by ALL accounts from people that have met him).

Yeah ... I guess biting chunks out of your opponent's ears wouldn't be considered "jerk", lol!

Have you ever heard some of the mike tyson quotes?  Not only is he a lunatic but he is a biggot.  He makes homophobic slurs in almost half of his quotes
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2010, 11:11:20 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
To clear up a few things...

I basically went with guys that committed serious acts of violence, especially against people weaker than them

guys that had like 19 kids with 17 women

guys that not only cheated, but then acted like we're the jerks for even askng, hence Bonds and Clemens but not Giambi or Petit

people that foisted huge frauds like Lance Armstrong (although that's pretty far from proven now)

guys that used people and treated them as highly expendable when they should have been helping them like Calipari

guys that just make you sick like Tiger

guys that said "Jesus Jesus Jesus", and then got caught with 10 kilos of coke and 4 hookers, which reminds me of Evander Holyfield and I gotta start to consider Dieon Sanders now.

I just didn't have it in me to put Tyson in there. A guy that tatoos his face and wishes he could fade into Bolivia and screams at people while almost crying "You couldn't be me for one day" just is a guy who needs help.

Also the list was jerks, not cry babies and prima donnas, cause otherwise the list would just stretch to Jericho

Fair enough.  Although I think as a poll, the idea would be to determine who everyone thinks are jerks.  And I think some of us have different definitions.

Personally, I think Tyson is a much bigger jerk than some of the guys on there. 

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2010, 11:19:31 AM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
Leonard Little was a defensive lineman for the St. Louis Rams.

One night he got drunk, got in his car, and killed a young mother.

A year or two later he was busted for driving drunk again.

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2010, 11:22:19 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Well I have no qualms about putting a convicted rapist in a jerk poll, so I'll throw him in there.

My big question at this point is what happened to Ty Cobb. I mean this guy is in the Hall but Pete Rose isn't? Nowadays you'd get suspended for a season, the union would fight it, and you'd get half a season if you were a first time offender, really apologized, got therapy, and donated some money to PETA or something

I can't believe I forgot Vick

And no I haven't heard Tyson's homophobic or biggoted stuff

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2010, 11:32:48 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sociopaths are some of the most violent out there.  They often have above average to high IQs.  They sometimes rationalize that the rules of society don't apply to them and have no inner morals to stop them from taking what they want.  They tend not to get flustered and can stay very calm while undertaking high risk behaviors.  This makes them very dangerous. 

There is no correlation between violence and low IQ.  So the human animal mentioned above is a myth.  Developmental Disabled people act out and sometimes hit people but a Sociopath would follow you home kill you and eat your liver.