Poll

Should smart start?

Yes
13 (86.7%)
No
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Should Smart start at the 2 permanently?  (Read 15311 times)

Re: Should Smart start at the 2 permanently?
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2018, 08:49:08 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I had a major concern about XXX's return and the stunted growth of Brown, Rozier, and Tatum.  That appears to have some to fruition, which really sucks, though I agree it's in the teams best interest to run with the vets given our recent struggles.  Smart and Mook are especially well-suited for the job.

See this is a sentiment I think is wrong. Playing Morris and Smart isnt getting us past GS and wont make us a championship short or long term. That happens if Jaylen and/or Tatum ellevate their game or play well enough to get us AD/ another MVP level player.

Smart and Morris are the EXACT type of "others" you want to have against GS.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2018, 09:17:32 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
It depends on what our goal are. If we want to win some regular season games then sure. But when u get to the highest levels u need a guy who is at least a threat to score in the starting line up. Keep rolling with Jaylen, let him play his way out of his funk. He has been better recently (except for his 3pnt shot). And its not like smart being on the floor has led to us shutting down fast guards. But if Jaylen stinks for another 20 games then sure. Thats where im at, lets see at the half way mark.
Jaylen is owed nothing, this is a team trying to compete for a title and if he wants to start he should have to earn it.  Everyone should have to compete for every single minute they get, if you want em take em.  So far Morris and Smart are taking them.

That's  a naïve view of basketball and sports in general. And not the way literally anything works. There is always the bigger picture to consider. And if we are just talking about earning it, then Jaylen did that last year. More than enough to justify riding out the slump he is in. And if the discussion is about winning the title than swapping out Jaylen for Smart isn't gonna get you there. Not god enough. Maybe we aren't good enough with Jaylen at the 2, but we sure aren't with Smart.

That's a little much. While it's not the norm, there are some pretty successful organizations that hold their players to a very high standard of what benefits the team. The Patriots and Spurs come to mind.

I want Jaylen to succeed as much as anyone, and I would agree his upside is higher, but:

1) Smart remains the better overall defender
2) Jaylen is more redundant this year with Hayward back
3) If we want to beat GS, we have a former Finals MVP on our roster who already beat them, and who seems to enjoy playing alongside Smart.

By all means, I hope Brown comes roaring back, but earning your minutes and filling specific roles are not crazy ideas for a championship contender.
We don't have a former Finals MVP on our roster. 

But I agree with your general point.  This isn't about Brown having earned anything, the simple reality is Brown isn't all that capable of playing the role this team needs him to play in the starting lineup.  He isn't all that good as a SG, he needs the ball a lot more in his hand than he will get to truly be successful, and he can't guard opposing PG's at all.  Those are all things that Smart does much better than him and they are all things the starting lineup needs.  I've been saying all year Brown should come off the bench, not because it is a demotion, but because it is where he will have the best chance to truly excel and thrive. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2018, 09:45:34 AM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Smart starting makes no difference as in if he stinks, you can just take him out of the game.

Maybe it provides a spark, maybe Kyrie does like playing alongside him. This doesnt mean it does better but since Kyrie does like playing with him, it might make a difference.

So smart starting isnt really a big deal unless it causes more drama within the players.

« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2018, 11:00:08 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Smart is ok to start...let's see why

Smart + Kyrie works
Smart is on the principal outside scorer defensively.We've all watched the Oladipos of the world carve us up. We've had opponents set scoring records on our back court. Put Smart on "the guy"....it has to be better than what we've been doing.

Smart + Baynes works
You really need two guys who are about defense (they certaily aren't about offense)

Smart + Tatum/Horford works? Not sure, with Horfoird as Smart without the ball doesn't offer a threat/option on offensive end. I say it works with Tatum as, he becomes far more involved in the offense and how the he&% can we go wrong with that dynamic? I suggest three offensive threats is adequate as long as they a strong threats...and they are.

I understand that this is about Smart starting, but, this is a team thus, the bench is a key.

Hayward has the ball (better distributor than anyone on this team)
Rozier off the ball. On a good night, he's a threat.
Morris is tough on opposing benches with a career year in the making...should be sixth man.
Brown and Rozier can slash and do their athletic thing while buildong confidence/consistency which they both seem to need on a regular basis...I don't know why.

Looks like a championship bench to me. Hayward + Morris enter at the 8 minute mark? Then Brown and Rozier. That's a tough rotation for an opposing coach to match up.

Finally the "international line up." This is a large group of large men. If an opposing coach goes "small" during garbage time? This rotation will take out the trash and then some.

France
Germany
Nigeria
Texas (Robert "7 for 7 from the floor" this season Williams)

Start Smart it rhymes.

« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2018, 11:29:43 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
I don't know. Permanently is a very long time. I'm alright with trying it out for a while and seeing how it goes. They certainly started out better than they have in quite some time. I think Smart's offense, or lack of, works better with Irving, Tatum, Horford and Morris.
I very interested in seeing what a bench with Haywood, Brown, Terry, and Baynes looks like.
Personally I think Brown could really shine there, as I think his role would be more defined. Might be wrong but thought he's been playing much better last 2-3 games. Could be perfect. As far as accepting a bench role. If Haywood can, I think Brown should be cool with it.

« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2018, 11:45:56 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
I don't know. Permanently is a very long time. I'm alright with trying it out for a while and seeing how it goes. They certainly started out better than they have in quite some time. I think Smart's offense, or lack of, works better with Irving, Tatum, Horford and Morris.
I very interested in seeing what a bench with Haywood, Brown, Terry, and Baynes looks like.
Personally I think Brown could really shine there, as I think his role would be more defined. Might be wrong but thought he's been playing much better last 2-3 games. Could be perfect. As far as accepting a bench role. If Haywood can, I think Brown should be cool with it.

Well Brown did have a good last 3 games, but he started each of those games.  He has been a lot more efficient (60%) from 2pt FG but still poor from 3point.  It seems with him attacking the rim more his efficiency has gone up. 

« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2018, 12:43:04 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
See this is a sentiment I think is wrong. Playing Morris and Smart isnt getting us past GS and wont make us a championship short or long term. That happens if Jaylen and/or Tatum ellevate their game or play well enough to get us AD/ another MVP level player.

I don't agree that starting Smart and/or Morris will stunt anyone's development.  I don't think it is worth it to over analyze who starts.  I would like to see Brown and Tatum play well enough to be the starters.  I don't think Smart minds playing off the bench.  I just don't buy the argument that it will somehow stunt anyone's development or hurt their trade value. 

In fact, you could make an argument that starting is putting more pressure on Brown and that is hurting his development and lowering his trade value.  Having the team do well is the best thing for everyone.  Brown will still play plenty even if Smart starts.  He will have every opportunity to develop to his full ceiling.

« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2018, 12:48:42 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574

Well Brown did have a good last 3 games, but he started each of those games.  He has been a lot more efficient (60%) from 2pt FG but still poor from 3point.  It seems with him attacking the rim more his efficiency has gone up.

True, he has been starting. I'm just thinking as he has been playing better and it seems to be that he's more aggressive going to the hole, that he might be even better with second unit. I see a guys like Haywood and Rosier opening up the floor a bit more. Also, he will be coming back from an injury, so it's the perfect time to try him off the bench.

« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2018, 01:46:54 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I hope so, we looked really good with he and Morris out there.  We've got guys who can score, especially with Morris out there, and Smart's D is on the best 1-3 guy they've got can be a major boost. That starting 5 was probably our top 5 players of the season, and we have more of a vested interest in Hayward with the 1st unit than Brown, so while Morris should probably go back to the bench sooner than later, I hope we keep rolling with Smart out there.

I also hope getting benched sharpens Jaylen's focus instead of getting him down - unfortunately he seems like he might be prone to the latter. But if it does it's worth knowing about too, especially when we can help our team.

« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2018, 02:11:11 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

I also hope getting benched sharpens Jaylen's focus instead of getting him down - unfortunately he seems like he might be prone to the latter. But if it does it's worth knowing about too, especially when we can help our team.

I think for all his external confidence Jaylen suffers from an insecurity, his draft selection was booed then for all his improvement last year Tatum came in and got all the plaudits and was anointed the future of the franchise. Getting benched may exacerbate that but end of day Brad has a responsibility to the team more than any one player.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2018, 02:17:04 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I'm fine with Marcus starting for a few reasons.

1. It makes Kyrie happy and the team needs to be doing everything in their power to make Kyrie happy at this point.

2. His playmaking is pretty good and it keeps the offense moving.

3. I'd prefer Jaylen Brown off the bench so that Tatum gets more involved early.

« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2018, 02:38:50 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
It depends on what our goal are. If we want to win some regular season games then sure. But when u get to the highest levels u need a guy who is at least a threat to score in the starting line up. Keep rolling with Jaylen, let him play his way out of his funk. He has been better recently (except for his 3pnt shot). And its not like smart being on the floor has led to us shutting down fast guards. But if Jaylen stinks for another 20 games then sure. Thats where im at, lets see at the half way mark.
Jaylen is owed nothing, this is a team trying to compete for a title and if he wants to start he should have to earn it.  Everyone should have to compete for every single minute they get, if you want em take em.  So far Morris and Smart are taking them.

That's  a naïve view of basketball and sports in general. And not the way literally anything works. There is always the bigger picture to consider. And if we are just talking about earning it, then Jaylen did that last year. More than enough to justify riding out the slump he is in. And if the discussion is about winning the title than swapping out Jaylen for Smart isn't gonna get you there. Not god enough. Maybe we aren't good enough with Jaylen at the 2, but we sure aren't with Smart.

That's a little much. While it's not the norm, there are some pretty successful organizations that hold their players to a very high standard of what benefits the team. The Patriots and Spurs come to mind.

I want Jaylen to succeed as much as anyone, and I would agree his upside is higher, but:

1) Smart remains the better overall defender
2) Jaylen is more redundant this year with Hayward back
3) If we want to beat GS, we have a former Finals MVP on our roster who already beat them, and who seems to enjoy playing alongside Smart.

By all means, I hope Brown comes roaring back, but earning your minutes and filling specific roles are not crazy ideas for a championship contender.
We don't have a former Finals MVP on our roster. 

But I agree with your general point.  This isn't about Brown having earned anything, the simple reality is Brown isn't all that capable of playing the role this team needs him to play in the starting lineup.  He isn't all that good as a SG, he needs the ball a lot more in his hand than he will get to truly be successful, and he can't guard opposing PG's at all.  Those are all things that Smart does much better than him and they are all things the starting lineup needs.  I've been saying all year Brown should come off the bench, not because it is a demotion, but because it is where he will have the best chance to truly excel and thrive.
Like I've said I'm certainly not aganst trying it. I mean why not? it might work. Perhaps the best argument may be that the starting lineup already has to many people who need to get shots and so putting somebody in there who can focus on defense seems like a way to free everybody up. I'm not sure Smart makes the most sesne in that role, give that his only plus offenive skill is ball handling and there are two  starters in Irving and Tatum you would probably still rather have doing that.

I also disagree that Jaylen isnt a SG. He most certainly can guard opposing PG's, he might be our secodn best PG defender on this team after Smart. He doesnt that often, because we usually have smaller guys out there who take that. But he can. Beyond that I don't know what not being able to play SG means, positon roles like that are meaningless. Even in the starting lineup offensivley Tatum and Hayward play more of the scoring guard role anyway. But I do agree that he may be better optimized off the bench. i would like to see him actually get to run a pick and roll every now and again.

« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2018, 03:11:58 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Haha, reading this gave me visions of an 80 year old Smart out there trying to play D.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2018, 03:17:42 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I think for all his external confidence Jaylen suffers from an insecurity, his draft selection was booed then for all his improvement last year Tatum came in and got all the plaudits and was anointed the future of the franchise. Getting benched may exacerbate that but end of day Brad has a responsibility to the team more than any one player.

What I keep coming back to is how rough his FTs were for quite a long time early in his career and how the problem seemed to be mostly psychological. Coupled with his struggles to adjust this year and lack of comfort in his open shots. He's not in Fultz's ballpark or anything but he seems a bit susceptible to milder forms of yips.

But I agree, it's not super-relevant to our choice to bench him, and seeing how he responds to individual adversity will be a good test for his development and whether he stays in our long-term plans or not.

« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2018, 03:55:30 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Brown has got away from what made him good aka driving to the hole, and corner threes.  So I for one, think he is not playing to his strengths rather than the yips.