Author Topic: Sorry if I missed this topic, but what is up with Rondo?  (Read 9464 times)

Re: Sorry if I missed this topic, but what is up with Rondo?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 08:00:46 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Rondo had a bad game and Philly had a good game. Rondo usually isn't passive because he "doesn't feel like it," "doesn't care," or "isn't trying." It's because he's trying to assess the best option to make (keep in mind that he's one of the best in the league at doing this). When teams try to take him out of his game, he slows things down and looks for where the cracks are. Sometimes he doesn't find them or when he does, other guys can't deliver.

It's one game. He's had a great playoffs. I think he and the Celtics will deliver in game 7.

This year Rondo has made teams begin to respect his jump shot and gone from a late game liability to an occasional late game catalyst. Those are major strides.

Since the playoffs he's gotten recognition on the All-NBA team and All-Defensive teams. He's the assist leader, the triple double leader, the double double leader, and the minutes leader. (http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics)

Among PGs he's second in rebounds to Rose (who played 1 game), top 3 in steals, top 8 in scoring (with a higher FG% than all but two of the guys ahead of him), and has a very respectable AST/TO ratio.

What isn't up with Rondo? Apparently he's so good that he's not allowed to have a bad possession, let alone a bad quarter or a bad game. It's unfortunate that he has so much talent and potential that the bar has been set impossibly high for him. Let's just root for the guy to find his groove and help us win game 7.
tp and ZING
add to that back & wrist injuries that he says nothing about, guys a trooper and our mvp this season

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 08:38:24 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
He didn't look much into it at all last night.  The aggressiveness of Game 5 had disappeared and I thought he had an awful game defensively.  Too much risking taking and had issues keeping his man in front of him.

Not a good game for Rondo.

Holiday got past him a couple of times but he spent most of the game (like he has all series) guarding Williams, who has done very little offensively against Rondo. Not great defense, but not terrible either.

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 10:06:43 PM »

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • "My team about green RONDO roger that" - Fabolous

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 10:50:52 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1418
  • Let's Go Celtics!
The part where I really started getting concerned was when the cameras panned to him on the bench with Paul Pierce having some words with him.

Towards the end, Paul gave him a tap upside the head, in a "C'mon Man we need you" kind of way.

When I saw that I realized that Rondo was just not plugged in, and that's sad.

At least that's how I interpreted it.

I saw that as Paul having a "stick with it, kid" kind of moment with him. Rondo wasn't in a good rhythm last night. All I heard Coach Collins talk about in his postgame pressers is "dealing with Rondo" and I thought he clearly made some good defensive adjustments on him last night and Rondo didn't really adapt. I expect Doc and Rondo to make adjustments next game.

Listen, bad games happen for everyone. Didn't DWade post a career low 5 pts a few games ago? It happens. When we're in the playoffs, Rondo's attitude is the last thing I worry about. He loves this time of the season and usually brings his A-game. At least where the playoffs are concerned, he deserves the benefit of the doubt.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 10:58:30 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Rondo is injured.

He has a back and wrist injury that isnt being talked about enough.

Why do you keep insisting Rondo is injured? Do you have an inside source feeding you information? It seems that you are the only one aware of his injuries.

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 11:37:05 PM »

Offline JoT

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84

Rondo looks like he ignored everything that came out of Paul's mouth and that slap Paul gave him looked hard.

On Rondo I don't know what's wrong with him because he's an interesting person. You can never know what's going on in his mind or why he plays the way he does when he's bad. I think he can be injured, but it's not bad to the point where it greatly affects him.

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 11:45:40 PM »

Offline Swoopz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 32
I doubt anything is 'up' with him. He has one bad game and everyone tries to over-analyze it.

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 11:50:58 PM »

Offline thestackshow

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 112
I doubt anything is 'up' with him. He has one bad game and everyone tries to over-analyze it.

He hasnt played well most of the playoffs.
[img width= height=]http://oi43.tinypic.com/2afde6p.jpg[/img]

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 12:33:10 AM »

Offline 5.9.20.34.43

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 21
Rondo is waiting for Saturday.......nationally televised game. I hate it too but I know he is the big gear in this machine. ....22 pts 17 assists 12 reb. No worries we take Philly in seven. Stern would have it no other way. We tired burnt and old. Throw us to the Miami dogs and I'll be danged if we don't go hard against the heatles. (although flagrants may affect the few bodies we have left)

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2012, 12:34:21 AM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96

Rondo looks like he ignored everything that came out of Paul's mouth and that slap Paul gave him looked hard.

On Rondo I don't know what's wrong with him because he's an interesting person. You can never know what's going on in his mind or why he plays the way he does when he's bad. I think he can be injured, but it's not bad to the point where it greatly affects him.

you are aware that .gif is sped up, hence a brotherly head rub looks like a hit...

and, not to you, but how easy it is to lay all fault on Rondo for other players mishaps on the court. if he has the ball in his hands and other players fail to run the offense correctly it looks like Rondo's mistake when it truly isn't. And the whole "last man up the court" thing does not mean he is disinterested. It can be hard to run when a) after makes, and b) when no one else is. Remember when we had a healthy Wilcox? Was some running there. PP, Ray and KG make running difficult. But that is Rondo's fault too?

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 01:19:08 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3064
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

you are aware that .gif is sped up, hence a brotherly head rub looks like a hit...

and, not to you, but how easy it is to lay all fault on Rondo for other players mishaps on the court. if he has the ball in his hands and other players fail to run the offense correctly it looks like Rondo's mistake when it truly isn't. And the whole "last man up the court" thing does not mean he is disinterested. It can be hard to run when a) after makes, and b) when no one else is. Remember when we had a healthy Wilcox? Was some running there. PP, Ray and KG make running difficult. But that is Rondo's fault too?

Rondo doesn't have his running mate now in Avery Bradley.

Ray in the lineup makes us old again especially him injured running off screens only to not being able to get anything off, or trying to take his man off the dribble and not being ale to then just kicking it out. Bradley was a spark of defensive energy that was contagious and what turned our season around.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 01:55:13 AM »

Offline thestackshow

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 112

Rondo doesn't have his running mate now in Avery Bradley.

Ray in the lineup makes us old again especially him injured running off screens only to not being able to get anything off, or trying to take his man off the dribble and not being ale to then just kicking it out. Bradley was a spark of defensive energy that was contagious and what turned our season around.

The cold hard reality is that our season is most likley over, and the team is starting to slowly realize that, they are morphing back into the pre-all star break Celtics, which were absolutely terrible.
[img width= height=]http://oi43.tinypic.com/2afde6p.jpg[/img]

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2012, 04:43:06 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

He hasnt played well most of the playoffs.

The most assists in a game anyone besides Rondo has is 11. In 11 playoff games Rondo has 11 assists once and more than 11 assists 8 times. He's playing better than you think.

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2012, 06:27:12 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Rondo is injured.

He has a back and wrist injury that isnt being talked about enough.

Why do you keep insisting Rondo is injured? Do you have an inside source feeding you information? It seems that you are the only one aware of his injuries.
???
his wrist has been taped for awhile and he has a back compress on all the time

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 07:18:58 AM »

Offline CelticsFanNC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
  Rondo began the most consistent stretch of basketball of his career when Bradley was inserted into the starting line up.

There are two reasons for this.

!)  Bradley guarded the opposing teams primary ball handler allowing Rondo to play off the ball on defense.  This allowed Rondo to save energy for offense and pushing the ball at every opportunity.  Bradley's ball pressure made our defense better by running down the shot clock and creating turnovers which got us into the open court where Rondo thrives.

2) Bradley gave Rondo a running mate.  Without Bradley in the lineup there is little reason for Rondo to push the ball because he is the only guy running while the rest prefer to play in the half court.  Bradley's speed stretched opposing teams transition defense leaving big lanes for Rondo to exploit. 

It not really that Rondo is playing that bad anyways.  It is hard to a pass first PG to excel when no one is hitting shots as as the case in the most recent games.  He just isn't going to play his best when he is stuck playing in quicksand with guys who all would rather play in the half court.  It's the same reason he wasn't playing consistently great when he was starting alongside the Big Three and the corpse of JO. 

He needs a running mate, we no longer have one on the roster.