Author Topic: How would you guys feel if Marbury ended up staying on the team?  (Read 10019 times)

Re: How would you guys feel if Marbury ended up staying on the team?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 10:32:18 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
he was starting to get his game back and he was doin it during the playoffs

keep him...he got game

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 10:58:50 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
It depends on steph. I don't mind him if he can stay happy in the role of backup point guard, but his comments since the end of the season lead me to believe that he wants a 6th/ or starters role.

Which is fine, and i wish him well, but I don't think that fits on our team's plans.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 08:14:42 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I agree that PG is not a top priority this off-season.
But, I do not want to see House as the back up PG.  I cringe every time he handles the ball.  I don't even mean in traffic, I mean walking the ball up.

He is not a ball handler, House is great at what he does which is "catch and shoot."
I want a PG that lets House play to his strength.

Disagree.  So long as Rondo is inconsistent, can't hit free throws, or make a jump shot, backup point remains a priority.  He killed the team, once Orlando figured out that they didn't have to play him.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 08:35:27 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Never thought I would say this, but bring him back (for minimum money and a one or two year contract as backup point guard.  See what he does with the rust off and training camp behind him.  He seemed to submerge the "me first" attitude last year.  He actually tried on defense and I think his offense will come back (in a team flow).

I dislike putting myself on the line for things I am not at all sure of.... :D
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 08:36:15 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The way I look at it the back up PG salary slot has to be a vet minimum deal. If Marbury is good with that money and can handle only getting about 6-8 minutes per half, then sure sign him. If he isn't good with that, get a veteran PG that is. I'm not sure if Carter or Jackson will play for minimums but my guess is Brevin Knight and Tyronnne Lue are though.

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2009, 08:50:45 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
But, I do not want to see House as the back up PG.  I cringe every time he handles the ball.  I don't even mean in traffic, I mean walking the ball up.

He is not a ball handler, House is great at what he does which is "catch and shoot."

Disagree.  So long as Rondo is inconsistent, can't hit free throws, or make a jump shot, backup point remains a priority.  He killed the team, once Orlando figured out that they didn't have to play him.

Every team tries this against rondo.

The difference is Orlando was the number 1 defense in the NBA and had the DPOY in the paint to shut rondo down on drives, not that they had an Epiphany and didn't guard his jump shot.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 09:02:57 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The way I look at it the back up PG salary slot has to be a vet minimum deal. If Marbury is good with that money and can handle only getting about 6-8 minutes per half, then sure sign him. If he isn't good with that, get a veteran PG that is. I'm not sure if Carter or Jackson will play for minimums but my guess is Brevin Knight and Tyronnne Lue are though.

If I were Danny, I'd trade for a PG. Then focus our financials in big men and then on wings.

I'd also pick-up Pruitt's option.

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 09:05:28 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

If I were Danny, I'd trade for a PG. Then focus our financials in big men and then on wings.
A vet minimum contract is league subsidized. It helps offset costs and honestly, given the amount of time Eddie is going to get, why would we want to trade for that player when a subsidized contract will get the job done?

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 09:07:46 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

A vet minimum contract is league subsidized. It helps offset costs and honestly, given the amount of time Eddie is going to get, why would we want to trade for that player when a subsidized contract will get the job done?

First because I don't like the talent I see in the position in this free-agency. Secondly, you'd trade for a PG because you think the talent is superior to what you can get on the open market. Third, you could open roster spots if they're of need, and I think we should pack our front court a bit more. Fourth, I don't like the size of the PG's that I see available, and with Eddie in there, we're better off with a PG with some size.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 09:13:40 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2009, 09:08:01 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

The difference is Orlando was the number 1 defense in the NBA and had the DPOY in the paint to shut rondo down on drives, not that they had an Epiphany and didn't guard his jump shot.

So how do you propose to get by Orlando then?  Don't think that more and more teams won't try this.  Rondo better improve his jump shot or it will become a bigger problem.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 09:11:10 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

So how do you propose to get by Orlando then?  Don't think that more and more teams won't try this.  Rondo better improve his jump shot or it will become a bigger problem.
Easy have KG healthy and let him cover Rashard Lewis on defense.

On offense having KG makes our spacing better and gives us a post option. If Dwight comes to help on KG the cutter will have a lay up.

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2009, 09:15:19 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Easy have KG healthy and let him cover Rashard Lewis on defense.

On offense having KG makes our spacing better and gives us a post option. If Dwight comes to help on KG the cutter will have a lay up.

TP for beating me to it, Lewis is traditionally outplayed by garnett on both ends of the floor.

Scal and davis, not so much.

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2009, 09:23:11 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Cautitously optimistic.

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2009, 09:29:06 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
If Marbury ended up staying, they I'd want to see House traded and the team acquiring a primary wing backup with a deadly outside shot.

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2009, 09:29:50 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
If Marbury ended up staying, they I'd want to see House traded and the team acquiring a primary wing backup with a deadly outside shot.
Sounds like a plan.