Author Topic: Summer League  (Read 4695 times)

Summer League
« on: May 24, 2009, 06:29:44 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I know it is still early but I was curious how many out there thought we would field a Summer League Team this year?

Do we even need one? Who would we invite beyond Walker, Giddens, and our newest 2nd round pick? Maybe our overseas guys like Erden?

With the economy and a supposed shortage of pre draft workout and tryout funds available, this would seem like a place to workout players for all of the leagues teams. If I were Danny I would be 'colluding' with some other GM's to bring in a few players to evaluate.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

Re: Summer League
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 06:55:31 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11847
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Danny has already said that we will send a team to the Orlando Summer League this year.  Walker Giddens and Pruitt will definitely be on it.  Possibly the 58th pick.  Mikki Moore has said he would like to play on it. Beyond that, who knows? 

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 07:27:21 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1680
If Marbury really wants to play here, then I'd like to see him in the summer league as well.  If he can regain his confidence and his shooting ability, he could be a very important piece for this team next year.

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 07:39:55 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
a lineup of Pruitt, Giddens, Walker, WHOEVER, and Mikki could be fun to watch in the summer league. Dunkfest 09.

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 07:55:09 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
If Marbury really wants to play here, then I'd like to see him in the summer league as well.  If he can regain his confidence and his shooting ability, he could be a very important piece for this team next year.
I would love to have Marbury back, I just dont know if I keep House and Pruitt if he is back. I like all three players but he is definitely the back up PG and scoring punch off the bench that we need. Eddie is just the scoring punch. Neither is a two guard, even part time unfortunately. Gabe is the ...... guy who is still developing and cant crack the rotation for any minutes after two seasons.

I definitely keep Mikki Moore if he wants to play summer league, no problem. If he signs for the minimum he is a much better option than POB or that ilk.

I am kinda excited to see who Danny can pull outta his hat from the undrafted rookie crop. There will also be room for the journeyman FA and overseas guys. We only have about 4-5 on the roster at this point I am guessing.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Here's my Summer League roster:

Guards

Gabe Pruitt, 6'4'', Boston Celtics
JR Giddens, 6'5'', Boston Celtics
Daryl Strawberry, 6'5'', Fortitudo Bologna (free-agent)
Othyus Jeffers, 6'5'', Iowa Energy (free-agent)
Quincy Douby, 6'3'', Toronto Raptors (free-agent)

Forwards
Bill Walker, 6'5'', Boston Celtics
Austin Nichols, 6'6'', Hyeres-Toulon (free-agent)
Lee Cummard, 6'7'', BYU, Undrafted, BYU
Luke Harangody, 6'8'', Undrafted, Notre Dame
Leon Lyons, 6'9'', Undrafted, Missouri

Centers
Semih Erden, 7'0'', Fenerbahce Ulker (free-agent)
Luke Nevill, 7'1'', Undrafted, Utah
Pops Mensah-Bonsu, 6'10'', Toronto Raptors(free-agent)

Then a spot for a kid from a New England college (Tony Gaffney?) and another one for the #58.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 08:28:19 PM by cordobes »

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 02:11:05 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i will be in orlando this summer.  and idea of what the dates of the summer league are this year?

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 02:31:23 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
Daryl Strawberry, 6'5'', Fortitudo Bologna (free-agent)

DAAAA-RYYYYL! DAAAA-RYYYYL!

That could be real fun if he somehow, someway made it into camp and played a couple preseason games. Like the roster picks though.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 03:36:51 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I doubt we'll only end up with our second rounder. I'd be willing to bet Danny buys a later pick or trades for a higher, lottery pick... Maybe both, But anyhow I don't see our second rounder making the openening day team, but still except 1-2 rookies.

So it'll be like Pruitt/Giddens/Walker/rookie/Mikki
Then the other rookies on the bench, filled out with free agents.

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 04:08:23 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Danny has already said that we will send a team to the Orlando Summer League this year.  Walker Giddens and Pruitt will definitely be on it.  Possibly the 58th pick.  Mikki Moore has said he would like to play on it. Beyond that, who knows? 

Mikki is probably not good enough for summer league. Is there anything below summer league for a guy like that?

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 04:10:13 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Mikki Moore wants to play on it because it means he's under contract for the Celtics after this season. Look at that guy, mediocrely bleeding green.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 05:22:44 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Let's give Brandon Wallace another run at it?
do it

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
The Lukes are interesting cases.  Both very productive in college, but considered too slow and unathletic.  I think Doc would cry if Danny gave him Harangody as yet another 6'8" center/pf.  The other Luke is tall enough, however, to perhaps merit a peek.

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 08:36:13 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
The Lukes are interesting cases.  Both very productive in college, but considered too slow and unathletic.  I think Doc would cry if Danny gave him Harangody as yet another 6'8" center/pf.  The other Luke is tall enough, however, to perhaps merit a peek.

I'd have no problem in picking Harangody with the #58. I think he'll be a limited and bellow average player who will work extremely hard to be as good as he can be, and will be able to help a team on those long February road trips when nobody else really feels like playing hard. He will shut down, say, Amare Stoudemire one of those nights simply by outworking him. He will be good for the coaches in practices.

If Ainge is planning on letting Powe walk and trading Scal at some point during the season and wants another reserve big for an extremely cheap price, it wouldn't hurt to give a look to Harangody.

I really don't know Nevill well; that's the only reason he made my roster, to allow me to watch him.

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 08:48:18 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Mikki Moore wants to play on it because it means he's under contract for the Celtics after this season. Look at that guy, mediocrely bleeding green.

Mikki Moore is a very good third string Big. He can score and he's a legitemate 7 footer. His situation last year was over his head.