Author Topic: Memphis Loses 3 Straight  (Read 5393 times)

Memphis Loses 3 Straight
« on: August 04, 2020, 05:11:32 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
How is this effecting Celtics draft position.? Seems rather important in the 8 games so far.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 05:09:16 PM by Redz »

Re: Memphis losses 3 straight
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 06:04:54 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
The more they lose the better, I have a feeling they will be better next year than this year so I think we have a better shot at the lottery this year than next. I hope they lose every single game between now and the end of the season  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 08:03:41 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The more they lose the better, I have a feeling they will be better next year than this year so I think we have a better shot at the lottery this year than next. I hope they lose every single game between now and the end of the season  :police:
It's not a matter of whether they'll be better as much as it's a matter will 8 other teams in the West be better than them.  I think it's a definite yes on that.  Barring injury, these should be better teams than Memphis:
Lakers, Clips, Denver, Houston, Dallas, Portland, NO, GSW --> that's 8 pretty easy calls right there.  Granted Portland and NO are behind Memphis this year (at the moment) but the injury bug has not been kind to them.

Add in Utah and OKC who are better this year and probably better than Memphis next year.  That could put Memphis as the 11th team in that conference.  (let's not overlook SAS either -- I wouldn't underestimate what Pop can do with a team - particularly if they move Derozan for a more efficient player.  Phx may be ready to make a move with Booker locked up, Ayton improving and a seemingly better approach to evaluating talent the past year or two.)  They could still end up with a better record than the 9th team in the east which would end up giving us the 12th pick next draft but considering they'll be playing most of their games against a tougher Western conference, they could wind up with a worse record than expected, particularly if Morant misses any time.

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 08:21:40 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's not a matter of whether they'll be better as much as it's a matter will 8 other teams in the West be better than them.  I think it's a definite yes on that.  Barring injury, these should be better teams than Memphis:
Lakers, Clips, Denver, Houston, Dallas, Portland, NO, GSW --> that's 8 pretty easy calls right there.  Granted Portland and NO are behind Memphis this year (at the moment) but the injury bug has not been kind to them.

Add in Utah and OKC who are better this year and probably better than Memphis next year.  That could put Memphis as the 11th team in that conference.  (let's not overlook SAS either -- I wouldn't underestimate what Pop can do with a team - particularly if they move Derozan for a more efficient player.  Phx may be ready to make a move with Booker locked up, Ayton improving and a seemingly better approach to evaluating talent the past year or two.)  They could still end up with a better record than the 9th team in the east which would end up giving us the 12th pick next draft but considering they'll be playing most of their games against a tougher Western conference, they could wind up with a worse record than expected, particularly if Morant misses any time.

The only way the pick wouldn’t convey is if Memphis’ pick falls into the top-6.  In that case, they might be adding another young talent that adds to their team.

Plus, it’s impossible to predict these things.  Did anybody expect Memphis to be this good?  Or Sacramento to be last year?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 08:37:40 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

The only way the pick wouldn’t convey is if Memphis’ pick falls into the top-6.  In that case, they might be adding another young talent that adds to their team.

Plus, it’s impossible to predict these things.  Did anybody expect Memphis to be this good?  Or Sacramento to be last year?

Speaking of the Kings I wouldn’t be surprised if they are better Next year.  Really like Fox and Bagley is an X factor for them if he improves.

I’d settle for if they fall just outside of the playoffs but will cross my  fingers the ping pong balls are kind to us and the pick conveys.  I’d rather take my chances next year if the best we can do otherwise is like pick 13 this year.

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 09:40:25 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Not be a wise a$$ but that's impossible. They can still get into the top 4 (not five, not six, ... :) ) and save their pick by losing the play-in game. I doubt, looking at other teams schedules, they'll fall out of the top 9 so there's still a chance they fall to 14 and the lottery with a chance for a top 4 pick.

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 10:23:09 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Since the bubble started the 3 losses have moved our potential pick from 17th to 16th. Brooklyn is only percentage points from bumping the pick to 15.

It would be ideal if Memphis could get bounced out of the 8 spot in their next 5 games. They are currently up two games on the Spurs and Blazer and 2.5 games ahead of Sacramento and New Olreans.

If Memphis finishes the season as the 8 seed they will have a play in series where Memphis needs to win one game and their opponent would need to win two. So if they can finish the bubble as the 8 seed it's likely the  C's pick is 15-17, if another team could beat them twice in the play in the Celtics pick would move to 14 and possibly get deferred to next year with some lottery luck.

TLDR: Root for Memphis to lose and San Antonio, Portland, Sacramento/NOLA to win in the bubble
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 10:25:33 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

This draft is also bad, a top 6 pick this year is not as good as in even an average year. And next years class is a lot better.

Sacramento is actually good example. They gave us the 14th last year and will almost certainly have a higher draft pick this year.

Make no mistake, we should wnat that pick to turn over if for no other reason than we have a roster crunch.  Unfortunately there's only a small chance of that.

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 10:53:19 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I posted about this on another thread.  If they miss playoffs, our pick goes from 17/16/15 to 14. 

We could then try to package our 14th pick with our 26/30 pick for a top 5 guy that mysteriously drops a few slots.

Keep an eye out for Wiseman.  His stock is all over the place.

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 11:38:05 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Since the bubble started the 3 losses have moved our potential pick from 17th to 16th. Brooklyn is only percentage points from bumping the pick to 15.

It would be ideal if Memphis could get bounced out of the 8 spot in their next 5 games. They are currently up two games on the Spurs and Blazer and 2.5 games ahead of Sacramento and New Olreans.

If Memphis finishes the season as the 8 seed they will have a play in series where Memphis needs to win one game and their opponent would need to win two. So if they can finish the bubble as the 8 seed it's likely the  C's pick is 15-17, if another team could beat them twice in the play in the Celtics pick would move to 14 and possibly get deferred to next year with some lottery luck.

TLDR: Root for Memphis to lose and San Antonio, Portland, Sacramento/NOLA to win in the bubble

TP.

Also root for ORL and BKLN, right?

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 12:37:45 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I posted about this on another thread.  If they miss playoffs, our pick goes from 17/16/15 to 14. 

We could then try to package our 14th pick with our 26/30 pick for a top 5 guy that mysteriously drops a few slots.

So even if we ended up with the 14th pick, packaging with 26/30 gets you to what, 12?

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2020, 12:44:20 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
It's been reasonably exciting to look at the possibility of the pick getting a little better. Can't ask for anything more than the 3-game slide by Memphis.  Unfortunately, other teams at the bottom of the West race haven't complied by winning.  I haven't analyzed the remaining schedules, but it feels as though Memphis will need to lose just about all their games for a significant impact (drop to #10 in the West).   One more win pretty much assures that they will be the 8 or 9 seed given that none of the other teams appear ready to win 5 or 6 straight.

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 12:47:11 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375

Not be a wise a$$ but that's impossible. They can still get into the top 4 (not five, not six, ... :) ) and save their pick by losing the play-in game. I doubt, looking at other teams schedules, they'll fall out of the top 9 so there's still a chance they fall to 14 and the lottery with a chance for a top 4 pick.
Huh?

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 01:00:11 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

This draft is also bad, a top 6 pick this year is not as good as in even an average year. And next years class is a lot better.

Sacramento is actually good example. They gave us the 14th last year and will almost certainly have a higher draft pick this year.

Make no mistake, we should wnat that pick to turn over if for no other reason than we have a roster crunch.  Unfortunately there's only a small chance of that.
As Roy mentioned, the pick is protected so we'd need some luck with Memphis in the lottery to get a jump up in the picks. 

if that long shot were to play out, I'd rather have the pick next year in what's considered a deeper draft and Memphis unlikely to pick up a real game changer in this year's draft even at the top of the draft.

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2020, 02:02:52 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

So even if we ended up with the 14th pick, packaging with 26/30 gets you to what, 12?

In normal year, it would probably get you up to top 10. I just don't know about this year. With the drop in revenue, there may be more sellers than buyers of first round picks. Someone else can weigh in on what the cost is to trade up.