Author Topic: Kosta Koufos please!  (Read 6125 times)

Kosta Koufos please!
« on: May 15, 2008, 01:57:45 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Danny, I know you're busy with the playoffs, so I will make this short and sweet.

Get Kosta Koufos. He's a borderline lottery pick and we need him. Not today, not tomorrow, but like 2 years from now. He foolishly hired an agent  after an uninspiring first season. This kid is 7'1. fairly mobile, is very comfortable with his back to the basket and he's a serious player dedicated to the sport of basketball. If he is still there at #13 or lower, get this kid, just do it, don't look back. He's not going to start for us right away but ideally he'd be a fantastic player right when we need a fantastic player.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: Kosta Koufos please!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 02:11:33 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Yep, I'm really interested in this kid too. I don't watch much college basketball so I haven't watched him this past season but I saw him in person during the past summer at the U-18 Euro Champs and he was extremely talented. Lots of skill, just needs some more polish and an understanding of when to do what, when to do it and where to do it. Lot of talent. He could become just about anything in this league depending on how hard he's willing to work for it. Huge upside.

He's jumped in the draft hugley over the past month or two. He's around 10-15 on most draft boards. 7-1 and skilled gets a lot of interest.

Good look hunting Danny

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 02:12:10 PM »

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
What assets do you propose we trade to get in the middle of the draft? We already owe our first round draft pick next year to the Wolves. The only assets that can land us a mid-high pick, aside from the big 3, are Rondo and Perk...and I'm not willing to trade those 2 players. You could argue that you could package the 30th pick + Powe or Big Baby, but I don't think it would get us that much higher in the draft, especially not into the 13-15 pick range. This draft looks to be fairly deep and I think we can get an impact player staying put at 30.

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 02:16:15 PM »

Offline shiggins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 147
He plays like a bigger tougher version of Keith Van Horn.  He has a good skill set.  Good size.  Hes mobile.

I only saw him play in the game where he destroyed my minutemen, but he was clearly the best player on the floor.  His game and body type/atlete are like Yi in my opinion.  He was definitely playing aggressively and looked like an intriguing prospect.

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 02:29:25 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
First a little more info about Kosta Koufos:

Quote from: Draft Express
Looking at Koufos’ game, there is certainly a lot to like, starting with some of his abilities in the post, specifically his back-to-the-basket finesse game. Here, Koufos heavily favors a right-handed hook shot and turnaround jumper, or occasionally a shot that’s somewhat a hybrid of both. With his good hands, touch off the glass, size, and ability to establish post position quite easily at this level, Koufos gets a lot of good looks in the 5-10 foot area.

Moving away from the post, Koufos has a very nice jump-shot from the mid-range, possessing good form and a high release point due to his size. His range extends out to at least the college three-point line, though he’s only shooting 33% on 52 attempts on the season. Watching the tape, Koufos appears to be a better shooter than the numbers would indicate, and this is an area he could certainly improve his effectiveness with in the future. As for the rest of his perimeter game, Koufos will occasionally show a brief flash of the ability to face-up from the mid-range, putting the ball on the floor for one or two dribbles, but he struggles doing it when not in space.

On the defensive end, Ohio State plays virtually all of their possessions in a 2-3 zone, with Koufos being one of the protectors of the rim, and this gives him very few opportunities in one-one-one defense. As a help defender, Koufos is attentive and mobile and shows good timing on his shot blocks, where he uses his size well, blocking almost two shots in just 27 minutes per game. In man-to-man defense, Koufos plays solid in the post, maintaining his position and using his length to contest, while doing a good job staying in front of his man. His lateral quickness doesn’t get challenged on the perimeter much, but he does a good job running out to contest the spot-up jump shots that OSU’s zone defense forces. Koufos is solid on the defensive boards, but excels on the offensive end, where he does a good job getting behind the defense to use his size to pull in boards over the opposition.

However, there are some negatives to his game..his inability to use his skill set to get to the line, his lack of a left hand (anti-delonte?), his too predictable post game...but here's the thing...the kid is 7'1, 19 years old, and has shown he's a serious man about his business. At worst in my mind this guy is a starter.

What assets do you propose we trade to get in the middle of the draft? We already owe our first round draft pick next year to the Wolves. The only assets that can land us a mid-high pick, aside from the big 3, are Rondo and Perk...and I'm not willing to trade those 2 players. You could argue that you could package the 30th pick + Powe or Big Baby, but I don't think it would get us that much higher in the draft, especially not into the 13-15 pick range. This draft looks to be fairly deep and I think we can get an impact player staying put at 30.

I agree we're not going to strike out at 30..and I agree that I don't really see how we trade up. All I can say to that is Im a dreamer and weirder things have happened. You wouldn't think you could turn Theo Ratliff's 2 year contract + floundering third year guard Sebastian Telfair into a probable All-star combo guard but people out there are dumb and sometimes bite.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 02:32:06 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I know nothing about him, but he sounds interesting, 7'1 and can move is very hard to find. However, I'm not sure this team will be looking for low draft prospects any time soon. The Celtics really have nothing to offer to move down, that they are willing to part with, the way the team is built right now, they are probably going to have to build via free agency for some time to come.

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 03:27:50 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I went to the NIT championship game as I am a UMass student and this kid impressed me.  He can definitely play the game.  He has an amazing stroke, Umass had no answer for him.
do it