Author Topic: Abdel Nader  (Read 10513 times)

Re: Abdel Nader
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2016, 02:36:33 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
As far as Summer league, I would say he has played better than Bentil, Jackson and Young.  He looks really solid.

Without a doubt and better than the French Tank. Outside of Rozier & Brown he's outplayed everyone on this team.

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2016, 02:41:36 PM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
This kid could make some serious noise!!!
Sigh. Did we all forget that this is the summer league, where legends are born and HOFers sighted?

Remember last summer league and Mickey? How he would be a valuable member of the Celtics? How he would provide the shoot blocking desperately needed?

And this year? He has turned into a pumpkin, or at least we see warts now.

Nader is nice so far, because t he has shown ZEROin the real nba.

Let's be patient before anointing another young player.

I did not mean to sound like he was our "go to" guy of the future but rather that there is it was all  someone else to watch of interest instead of these same two, misfiring, non learning, bodies in Hunter and Young. and Hunter is a fouling magnet!!!
the reason I like Nader is at least he's shown something, with the other two jaboneys it was all hype!!!

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2016, 05:00:46 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
the guy reminds me of jerebko on defense moves his feet ,good lateral and balance and he has that 7-1 reach
plays smart ,nothing fancy-calm with nice form on three's
last year i was a big hunter fan but his defence seems to have regressed-it wasn't the fouls he knew he had 10
-i think he plays better when he plays up and in a system
also he HAS to put on some bulk
i think the pessure is getting to him
he did take quite a fall and those wrist sprains can wreck a 3 pt shooter

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2016, 05:32:41 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Sigh. Did we all forget that this is the summer league, where legends are born and HOFers sighted?

Remember last summer league and Mickey? How he would be a valuable member of the Celtics? How he would provide the shoot blocking desperately needed?

And 1. Summer league is meaningless. This guy wasn't a significant player on his college team, and the only way I see him making the Celtics roster is if we empty it out with a major trade. And even then, ahead of numerous, albeit questionable, draft picks we made ahead of him.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2016, 06:04:00 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
6'6 with 7'0 wingspan. Might be longer
Well, yeah, Ryan Gomes was 6'8 with a 7'2 wingspan, weighed 245 lbs and still couldn't play full-time PF.
Couldn't stand Gomes. Got praise for being poised. He had no emotion and was the last guy to dive for a loose ball. Give me the mad dogs .

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2016, 07:28:04 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
As far as Summer league, I would say he has played better than Bentil, Jackson and Young.  He looks really solid.

Without a doubt and better than the French Tank. Outside of Rozier & Brown he's outplayed everyone on this team.

Keep in mind that he's 3 years older than Brown and GY, and 2 than Young.

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2016, 07:33:12 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Was Young less developed 2 years ago than his is now? Age is a factor, but don't use it as a crutch.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2016, 08:24:27 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Was Young less developed 2 years ago than his is now? Age is a factor, but don't use it as a crutch.

Yes, he's better now than he was last year (he didn't play summer league two years ago).  Improved enough? Definitely open to debate.  But he's improved.

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2016, 08:26:58 PM »

Offline merkins

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 15
Second coming of Alaa Abdelnaby

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2016, 09:33:29 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Stop with the ridiculous comps and expectations.

He is a very polished player, far more polished than James Young.  Also 2 years older, and basically Marcus Smart's age.

I like Nader, especially because he can shoot and has all the skill on offense. But he was 58 for a reason.

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2016, 10:23:14 PM »

Offline Dwnflfan

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
Stop with the ridiculous comps and expectations.

He is a very polished player, far more polished than James Young.  Also 2 years older, and basically Marcus Smart's age.

I like Nader, especially because he can shoot and has all the skill on offense. But he was 58 for a reason.

Suspicion is wise but Isaiah Thomas was 60 for a reason too.  Sometimes young men will surprise you and meet their expectations instead of everyone else's.

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2016, 11:50:21 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1491

And 1. Summer league is meaningless. This guy wasn't a significant player on his college team, and the only way I see him making the Celtics roster is if we empty it out with a major trade. And even then, ahead of numerous, albeit questionable, draft picks we made ahead of him.

I agree with 1.  summer league is meaningless.  Who knows what Nader's NBA future is.  He is playing well enough in summer league to get a shot at making the team.  Everything beyond that is a crap shoot for most rookies.

But you are wrong on the not a significant player on his college team.  I watched pretty much every one of his games at ISU since he transferred from Northern Illinois.  His senior year he was a difference maker.  Had quite a few tremendous games.  A number of times he was the only reason ISU won, Niang got in foul trouble or had an off night.  He was definitely a bit inconsistent, but when he played well, he was a big difference maker for ISU.

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2016, 06:10:44 AM »

Offline TheSlipperyWhistle

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
I feel the same when I watch the kid. I like him. And I know we say this all the time, but I am going to add some context...

This is Summer League. In particular I want to talk about taking it to the rack, arguably his best quality (I know he has some decent shooting chops as well).

Taking it to the rack in Summer League is exponentially easier than it is in the NBA. Team defense is weaker (they only have so long to come together and prepare), Big man rotations are later, and in some cases lateral quickness of defending bigs is at best questionable and at worst atrocious. I want him to be good, I think as the 58th pick, he has earned chance more than Bentil or Jackson have. If you take away (or even diminish) the set offense drives this kid gets in Summer League, what kind of player emerges? If he gets 5-8 minutes of burn and cant drive on NBA defenses, what can he do? He handles the ball ok for a SF, but is he a playmaker? He shoots the ball decent, is he a spot up or off screen jump shooter? I think if he can make strides in any one of these areas he has a shot. This all said... I hope he drives that ball and leaves holes in NBA defenders Whiley Coyote style...

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2016, 06:36:47 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Second coming of Alaa Abdelnaby

Abdelnaby was a 6'10" big.  Nader is 6'6" other than both of them being from Egypt there are no similarities.

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2016, 06:42:47 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I feel the same when I watch the kid. I like him. And I know we say this all the time, but I am going to add some context...

This is Summer League. In particular I want to talk about taking it to the rack, arguably his best quality (I know he has some decent shooting chops as well).

Taking it to the rack in Summer League is exponentially easier than it is in the NBA. Team defense is weaker (they only have so long to come together and prepare), Big man rotations are later, and in some cases lateral quickness of defending bigs is at best questionable and at worst atrocious. I want him to be good, I think as the 58th pick, he has earned chance more than Bentil or Jackson have. If you take away (or even diminish) the set offense drives this kid gets in Summer League, what kind of player emerges? If he gets 5-8 minutes of burn and cant drive on NBA defenses, what can he do? He handles the ball ok for a SF, but is he a playmaker? He shoots the ball decent, is he a spot up or off screen jump shooter? I think if he can make strides in any one of these areas he has a shot. This all said... I hope he drives that ball and leaves holes in NBA defenders Whiley Coyote style...
Fair enough.  Maybe he turns into a Jerrod Bayless or even Evan Turner type of journeyman wing player who can shoot a bit and give you energy on both ends...not a bad asset to fit in somewhere.