Option a
19 (42.2%)
Option b
15 (33.3%)
I could use a cookie
11 (24.4%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: March 29, 2019, 11:11:30 AM

Author Topic: Hypothetical a or b...Davis or keep assets  (Read 5798 times)

Re: Hypothetical a or b...Davis or keep assets
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2019, 11:56:27 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Trade for Davis.

(Do we have to resign Rozier, though??

I just assumed we’d keep Smart and have him as our sixth man. He could take Rozier’s backup PG slot.

Smart is being traded in option A.

I don’t think it would be necessary.

Perhaps, but that wasnt really the point of the exercise.

I wondered what the concensus would be if team HAD to include smart and tatum and picks for Davis.

or

Keep Kyrie and all assets.

Basically, does Davis produce more towards winning a championship that the combination of, in this scenario, Tatum, Smart, Little, Bol Bol and Fernado and whatever was chosen next year with the Memphis pick?

You created the thread, so no doubt you're the man who get to say what the point of the poll is. 

This is just me asking, but isn't it more telling to learn if people would rather keep our assets in general, or more specifically if Tatum + Griz pick + 3 (three) 2019 1sts + a future 1st isn't enough? 

I'm kind of asking, why is including Smart mandatory but not Brown?  You think NO would reject Brown and only take Smart?  You would much rather keep Brown so you don't want him offered here?  Or you think having to give up Smart will make us reconsider?

I get why Tatum + picks are involved here but can you explain why Smart is mandatory?  I'm not trying to stir **** up, legit asking.

Well. Smart is included because he makes 9 million per season more than brown and salaries need to match.

So that is why smart and not brown.

Davis make 25 million and tatum brown is 11 million. Celtics cannot take on that much salary in a deal

That is why some of us have been screaming thay rozier and morris needed to be moved for a salary that didnt expire at seasons end. And why some have been screaming that we desparately need to sign someone with the mle over 2 years that can be used for salary filler in the deal.

We need just under $22m to trade for Davis.  Tatum + Williams is just under $10m.  The three 2019 1sts (#14, #18, #20-25) count as salary and push the total to at least $17m.  Adding Smart gets us where we need to be, but so would adding Brown.

Assuming either Smart or Brown makes the salary work with what you proposed before (Tatum, Williams, picks) does it still matter to you who is included in addition?  Does it still have to be Smart, or could it be any combo of $5m, or any good asset making $5m?
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2019, 12:03:23 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Trade for Davis.

(Do we have to resign Rozier, though??

I just assumed we’d keep Smart and have him as our sixth man. He could take Rozier’s backup PG slot.

Smart is being traded in option A.

I don’t think it would be necessary.

Perhaps, but that wasnt really the point of the exercise.

I wondered what the concensus would be if team HAD to include smart and tatum and picks for Davis.

or

Keep Kyrie and all assets.

Basically, does Davis produce more towards winning a championship that the combination of, in this scenario, Tatum, Smart, Little, Bol Bol and Fernado and whatever was chosen next year with the Memphis pick?

You created the thread, so no doubt you're the man who get to say what the point of the poll is. 

This is just me asking, but isn't it more telling to learn if people would rather keep our assets in general, or more specifically if Tatum + Griz pick + 3 (three) 2019 1sts + a future 1st isn't enough? 

I'm kind of asking, why is including Smart mandatory but not Brown?  You think NO would reject Brown and only take Smart?  You would much rather keep Brown so you don't want him offered here?  Or you think having to give up Smart will make us reconsider?

I get why Tatum + picks are involved here but can you explain why Smart is mandatory?  I'm not trying to stir **** up, legit asking.

Well. Smart is included because he makes 9 million per season more than brown and salaries need to match.

So that is why smart and not brown.

Davis make 25 million and tatum brown is 11 million. Celtics cannot take on that much salary in a deal

That is why some of us have been screaming thay rozier and morris needed to be moved for a salary that didnt expire at seasons end. And why some have been screaming that we desparately need to sign someone with the mle over 2 years that can be used for salary filler in the deal.

We need just under $22m to trade for Davis.  Tatum + Williams is just under $10m.  The three 2019 1sts (#14, #18, #20-25) count as salary and push the total to at least $17m.  Adding Smart gets us where we need to be, but so would adding Brown.

Assuming either Smart or Brown makes the salary work with what you proposed before (Tatum, Williams, picks) does it still matter to you who is included in addition?  Does it still have to be Smart, or could it be any combo of $5m, or any good asset making $5m?

You could probably add in Yabusele's 3M to help out (simply with salary filler). What truly would help is a potential Rozier S&T with all parties feeling good about it. If Rozier signed for say, 14M/Year, it would count as 7M going out but that would be more than enough in the proposed scenario (even without needing to include Yabu for salary purposes).

Tatum (8M) + Williams (2M) + Rozier (7M) + 3 2019 Picks (combined 6M) + Grizzlies Pick + 1-2 Future Picks. Now would NOP take it? I don't know. And Rozier also has to like the idea of going there. I do feel though that Rozier could actually be a solid fit in New Orleans if he truly buys into his role there.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2019, 12:07:02 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
If we can get AD without giving up both Tatum and Brown, this is an absolute no-brainer. A dollar bill is better than a bunch of nickels and dimes.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2019, 12:16:06 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I would make the trade for Davis only if he agrees to an extension on a long term deal. If he doesn't commit to re-signing with the team long term i would not trade Tatum. I would however trade all of the picks for a one year rental for Davis, but not Tatum in that scenario.

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2019, 12:20:47 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
If we can get AD without giving up both Tatum and Brown, this is an absolute no-brainer. A dollar bill is better than a bunch of nickels and dimes.

Yeah that's not happening with the Pelicans. Absolute highway robbery for us.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2019, 12:31:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Do we have to re-sign Rozier and Morris long term?  Why are we stipulating to that?

I'd rather save the $$ and replace them with veteran ring chasers.

I feel that way irrespective of any other moves.

My answer re: trading for AD or not depends on how long Kyrie's new deal is.

If Kyrie signs a 1+1, then NO WAY am I trading Tatum for what could easily be just one year of AD.

If Kyrie is signed to a guaranteed 3 or 4 year deal, then I'd be more open to trading for AD, though I would still feel uneasy about it.

Rozier will leave.
He wants a starting job.

Morris is a keeper if the price is right.

My price for Morris would be $5 million a year or lower, and no more than 2 years.

I suspect he will get better offers than that.

Even when he's playing really well, I think his style of play leads the team toward their worst tendencies rather than their best ones.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2019, 01:07:28 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
First off lets make a few assumptions.

First lets assume that Kyrie resigns.

Secondly lets assume that Sacramento dips a little in the standings and the pick parlays at 11th, and Bostons own pick drop back some in the draft to 24th. LAC pick stays the same. Memphis pick does not parlay this season.

Third lets assume that in a Davis deal, he agrees to sign long term, Rozier, Morris and Theis all resign as well.

Would you rather:

a) A trade of all picks, Tatum, Smart, Williams for Davis

Irving/Rozier
Brown/
Hayward/Semi
Horford/Morris/Yabusele
Davis/Baynes/Theis

or

b)
Keep current assets and draft BPAs(According to tankathon) and make moves to strengthen through consolidation closer to season and let Rozier and Morris leave.

11th Nasir Little
18th Bol Bol
24th Bruno Fernando

Irving/Smart
Brown/Hayward
Tatum/Little/Semi
Horford/Theis/Yabusele
Baynes/Williams/Bol Bol/Fernando
based on your assumption that Davis agrees to resign before we trade for him, make the deal without blinking.

what I wouldn't necessarily do is resign Rozier or Morris.  There's got to be a better vet PG out there and I think we could do ok adding a vet back up PF in place of Morris. 

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2019, 02:23:54 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I can go either way at this point. I was leaning towards keeping the young core and run with it but whatever happens happens.

Trading for AD obviously dangerous since if he walks at the end of next season a lot of what Danny has built will basically be tossed in the garbage depending on what we have to give up for him.

Either way is fine. I'll just be happy when all this speculation ends and we know who's going to be here long-term (although that's not really a thing).

I do wonder if CBS can handle coaching two superstars, that will be interesting.

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2019, 02:45:16 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Secondly lets assume that Sacramento dips a little in the standings and the pick parlays at 11th, and Bostons own pick drop back some in the draft to 24th. LAC pick stays the same. Memphis pick does not parlay this season.

Third lets assume that in a Davis deal, he agrees to sign long term, Rozier, Morris and Theis all resign as well.

Would you rather:

Irving/Rozier
Brown/
Hayward/Semi
Horford/Morris/Yabusele
Davis/Baynes/Theis

or

b)
Keep current assets and draft BPAs(According to tankathon) and make moves to strengthen through consolidation closer to season and let Rozier and Morris leave.

11th Nasir Little
18th Bol Bol
24th Bruno Fernando

Irving/Smart
Brown/Hayward
Tatum/Little/Semi
Horford/Theis/Yabusele
based on your assumption that Davis agrees to resign before we trade for him, make the deal without blinking.

what I wouldn't necessarily do is resign Rozier or Morris.  There's got to be a better vet PG out there and I think we could do ok adding a vet back up PF in place of Morris.

I don't want Rozier or Morris back either.  My proposed trade this spring / summer of Sac pick + Rozier + Morris for Chicago #7 / Wendell Carter Jr really would've been nice and who knows, may have even been possible.  Instead, best case scenario is letting Rozier and Morris walk for nothing, and I'm not even sure how much they helped this year.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2019, 02:50:51 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Would you rather:

Irving/Rozier
Brown/
Hayward/Semi
Horford/Morris/Yabusele
Davis/Baynes/Theis

or

b)

11th Nasir Little
18th Bol Bol
24th Bruno Fernando

Irving/Smart
Brown/Hayward
Tatum/Little/Semi
Horford/Theis/Yabusele

I don't want Rozier or Morris back either.  My proposed trade this spring / summer of Sac pick + Rozier + Morris for Chicago #7 / Wendell Carter Jr really would've been nice and who knows, may have even been possible.  Instead, best case scenario is letting Rozier and Morris walk for nothing, and I'm not even sure how much they helped this year.
well, Morris did help quite a bit to begin the season.  he's regressed to his usual self the past month or so.  Rozier as offered a full season of suckitude so far.    I don't have an issue with not trading them this year knowing that if someone gets injured in the playoffs, Rozier/Morris know the system and can step in to pick up minutes and they've shown they can handle the spotlight of the playoffs.

next season is a different story.  no one's complaining about getting nothing for Olynyk when he was allowed to walk.  nothing different with these two if Davis is added.

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2019, 03:07:15 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Would you rather:

Irving/Rozier
Brown/
Hayward/Semi
Horford/Morris/Yabusele
Davis/Baynes/Theis

or

b)

11th Nasir Little
18th Bol Bol
24th Bruno Fernando

Irving/Smart
Brown/Hayward
Tatum/Little/Semi
Horford/Theis/Yabusele

well, Morris did help quite a bit to begin the season.  he's regressed to his usual self the past month or so.  Rozier as offered a full season of suckitude so far.    I don't have an issue with not trading them this year knowing that if someone gets injured in the playoffs, Rozier/Morris know the system and can step in to pick up minutes and they've shown they can handle the spotlight of the playoffs.

next season is a different story.  no one's complaining about getting nothing for Olynyk when he was allowed to walk.  nothing different with these two if Davis is added.

Team got something for letting Olynyk go.....capspace to sign Hayward.

Letting Rozier and Morris go is losing assets for nothing.

They should have been traded, and said trade/MLE could have been used to fill those roles

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2019, 03:30:11 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Option C

Flip Anthony Davis to Golden State for Kevin Durant.

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2019, 03:32:21 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
not getting Davis means one thing and its certain

he goes to the Lakers .  NO doesn't want this and pretty much no other team wants that either. Pretty much only Boston can prevent this.  Come summer Magic will still offer everything to make it happen. His comments otherwise is total rubbish.

I doubt i l live long enough to see the Celtics get another BIG MAN player both as young and good as Davis .

Davis type player is super rare , like Tim Duncan , and only one of 30 teams gets to play him at a prime age. He could be the difference maker for the next 8 years for some team.

If you can land him ,  you gotta do it.  Danny does't have the years either to wait out another player like Davis

Neither does Magic Johnson .  We ve seen already what risks they will take ..screwing up their season ,losing face to aquire him by hook or crook.

I expect them to offer everything and the kitchen sink to bring Davis to either Boston or. LA. 

I might be wrong , but I doubt it.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 03:38:44 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2019, 03:36:30 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
It's pretty hard for me to see how a Davis trade works. There's no way to trade for him without including Tatum (the player that the Pels are rumored to want) and Smart (for salary matching). There will be picks included as well of course.

Unfortunately, I don't see any way to do it unless Smart is in the deal. The numbers just don't work. Maybe a third team could be involved? 

The core of the deal would be Tatum & Smart for Davis. I guess it makes sense to do it.

Boston hasn't had any problem retaining players once they're here. I doubt they're worried about him walking. There aren't any better situations in the NBA right now.

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2019, 03:46:50 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
I remember about 12 years ago how people talked about the prospect of trading Al Jefferson for Kevin Garnett. Many people, including myself and including many people in the media (for sure Bill Simmons, also Mike Gorman if I remember correctly) were opposed to it. Why trade a budding star making peanuts for a slightly-better star who's already in his late 20s?

Then we saw Garnett play with this team. And then we understood.