Author Topic: Our Frontcourt Isn't Perfect, But THANK GOD It's No Longer Sully/Olynyk/Zeller  (Read 3568 times)

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Remember those days when those three primarily made up our front court? UGH.

They had some moments (especially Olynyk with that Game 7 against Washington), and certainly some meme-worthy moments, but it was infuriating how soft they all were and how other teams' 4th or 5th bigs would freakin' dominate us in games. Jordan Mickey had some potential but never reached it with us (also barely earned playing time). Amir Johnson was okay for one season I guess.

Nice guys in real life I'm sure, but I'm so glad Danny has learned a bit and added a bit more size and toughness to this team over the years (in the form of taller wings like Tatum + Brown, adding Horford, Baynes, Morris, Theis, Timelord, etc.)

I still think it was a mistake for Danny not to target a PF/C in the buyout market (someone like Kanter or Faried) and feel that over the summer, Danny needs to add another free agent depth big to this front court (maybe using the MLE). I also acknowledge that even now our front court isn't 100% perfect, sometimes giving up offensive rebounds late in games and/or not grabbing every single board in crunch time.

But be thankful that this is our front court and not what we had back in the 2013-2016 years. Imagine them going up against the likes of Embiid, Giannis, etc today. OOF.

And Baynes is EXACTLY the kind of bruiser we've been longing years for. Love his toughness and great defense, and think he's going to be really important again in our upcoming playoff run. We've seen what a difference it makes for our team when he's not playing. And of course, Horford is the engine that drives this team and his versatility is so valuable.

Did I really need to be reminded of those 3 useless knuckleheads? Lol, jk. Good point though. I never liked any of them and despised Olynyk. There were a decent amount of Celts fans that were so enamored with him and I never understood why.

He literally looked clueless every time he was on the court.

So glad he's gone.

Ditto with Sully and Zeller.

Yeah. Everyone hyped up how Olynyk could "stretch the floor very well" but the dude always seemed to go down when an opposing big just brushed him  ::)

Also watching him (or Sully/Zeller/Amir) try to grab a rebound late in games made me want to throw the remote at my TV  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

They had some moments (especially Olynyk with that Game 7 against Washington), and certainly some meme-worthy moments, but it was infuriating how soft they all were and how other teams' 4th or 5th bigs would freakin' dominate us in games. Jordan Mickey had some potential but never reached it with us (also barely earned playing time). Amir Johnson was okay for one season I guess.

Nice guys in real life I'm sure, but I'm so glad Danny has learned a bit and added a bit more size and toughness to this team over the years (in the form of taller wings like Tatum + Brown, adding Horford, Baynes, Morris, Theis, Timelord, etc.)

I still think it was a mistake for Danny not to target a PF/C in the buyout market (someone like Kanter or Faried) and feel that over the summer, Danny needs to add another free agent depth big to this front court (maybe using the MLE). I also acknowledge that even now our front court isn't 100% perfect, sometimes giving up offensive rebounds late in games and/or not grabbing every single board in crunch time.

But be thankful that this is our front court and not what we had back in the 2013-2016 years. Imagine them going up against the likes of Embiid, Giannis, etc today. OOF.

And Baynes is EXACTLY the kind of bruiser we've been longing years for. Love his toughness and great defense, and think he's going to be really important again in our upcoming playoff run. We've seen what a difference it makes for our team when he's not playing. And of course, Horford is the engine that drives this team and his versatility is so valuable.

Did I really need to be reminded of those 3 useless knuckleheads? Lol, jk. Good point though. I never liked any of them and despised Olynyk. There were a decent amount of Celts fans that were so enamored with him and I never understood why.

So glad he's gone.

I felt the same way about Olynyk.  He was tentative and clueless on the court.  I can't understand how he got a $50mm contract.  Unfortunately, the thing that really bothers me is that we traded up in that draft to get him and passed on Atenokoumpo.

Please don't remind me.  A huge screw-up by Ainge and his scouting department. Imagine if we had Giannis right now. I don't even want to think about it.

Funny thing is if Ainge can't land another superstar in the next couple seasons, watch him try to go after Giannis in free agency, when he simply could've drafted him in the first place.

If we had Giannis, I am not certain that we would have Brown or Tatum, so you can take a little solace in that...
Why not? If I remember correctly, the Nets trade happened after that draft. What would Ainge from pulling the trigger? The fact that we had Giannis, who was ver raw and a big question mark back then?

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
That's a good point, but having Giannis and those two may be redundant.  I guess I was mistaken and we may have taken them anyway.

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

So glad he's gone.

I felt the same way about Olynyk.  He was tentative and clueless on the court.  I can't understand how he got a $50mm contract.  Unfortunately, the thing that really bothers me is that we traded up in that draft to get him and passed on Atenokoumpo.

agree ,  but to see why DA took Kelly over Giannis you need to go WAY back and see the video of a young like 17-18 year old in Greece . I saw it on nba tv about week ago.  Holy cow he looked sooooooo green , raw , literally under nourished ....like border line starving .  He was a twig ....big as one of Shaq s legs .    Compare them body wise in the summer league era and first year .  Kelly looked miles ahead physically ( but soft mentally) .  I would have selected KO too. GA got some protein and three years to develope muscle mass ,  yeah he looks [dang] near completely different today.  Point is ....who would have guessed that starving kid would grow into the worlds best athlete in the NBA .

Bingo. I get why people ask the what-if question - I do, too - but I can't fault DA much for missing what 15 other GMs also missed. The Bucks took a gamble and it paid off big.

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

So glad he's gone.

Yeah. Everyone hyped up how Olynyk could "stretch the floor very well" but the dude always seemed to go down when an opposing big just brushed him  ::)

Also watching him (or Sully/Zeller/Amir) try to grab a rebound late in games made me want to throw the remote at my TV  :P

Amen.

Kelly never saw an open shot he wouldn't pass up.

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

So glad he's gone.

Amen.

or any physical contact he couldn't avoid
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 07:58:37 PM by SHAQATTACK »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!

So glad he's gone.

Amen.

THIS too. His pump fakes that ultimately led to nothing (usually a turnover or awful miss as the defender closed in) were so annoying.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller