Author Topic: Our Frontcourt Isn't Perfect, But THANK GOD It's No Longer Sully/Olynyk/Zeller  (Read 3567 times)

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Olynyk was 1 of 7 players nominated for Eastern Conference player of the week last week.  During the week the Heat knocked off G.S. and then lost a close game in Houston the following night followed by wins over Brooklyn and Atlanta.

Most of the time he was here I found Olynyk frustrating to watch. We lost him right when the time that the Celts had put into him was starting to pay off. It was a classic case of a big man taking several seasons to develop. He was really good in the last playoffs that he was in here, and he's been a good rotation player in Miami.

I think the Celtics really wanted to sign him but they just didn't have the cap space to keep him and sign Hayward in the same off-season. I think they'd take him back in a second under the right circumstances. Think of what an asset he'd be to the current team.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Oh man. Remember the days of thinking Sully was good enough to be the centerpiece of a Kevin Love trade? And when Minny didn't jump all over it, it morphed into "Sully is going to be the next Kevin Love"?

This was laughable then as well.  Only homer fans thought this to be true back then.

Two of the three are no longer in the NBA

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Olynyk was 1 of 7 players nominated for Eastern Conference player of the week last week.  During the week the Heat knocked off G.S. and then lost a close game in Houston the following night followed by wins over Brooklyn and Atlanta.

Most of the time he was here I found Olynyk frustrating to watch. We lost him right when the time that the Celts had put into him was starting to pay off. It was a classic case of a big man taking several seasons to develop. He was really good in the last playoffs that he was in here, and he's been a good rotation player in Miami.

I think the Celtics really wanted to sign him but they just didn't have the cap space to keep him and sign Hayward in the same off-season. I think they'd take him back in a second under the right circumstances. Think of what an asset he'd be to the current team.
He no doubt would be good on this team off the bench, but he's basically made no noticeable improvements since his sophomore season
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!

He no doubt would be good on this team off the bench, but he's basically made no noticeable improvements since his sophomore season

Sure, he'd be fine on this team IF we had Baynes, Horford and everyone else still. Otherwise, if it's him vs. Embiid, we're doomed  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
yeah... there were some of us that saw how horrible those guys were at the time. but it fell on deaf ears and there were a whole bunch of stats thrown in our face by the supporters of mediocrity that showed how "good" they actually were and we were just wrong, wrong, wrong.

let's see... sully ate so many burgers - he actually became a burger. Kelly Olynyk? still passin up open shots and barely relevant, but has 1 game every 3 months that makes you think "if he played this way all the time...".

oh and tyler zeller is still in the league... I think.

this isn't a "hey look at me post" just a reminder to those of you livin n' dyin on stats to use your eyes a lil more... and maybe do some listenin instead of jumping down someone's throat who's opinion differs.

for example terry rozier actually sucks - now watch.

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I'll just never forgive Sullinger for always being injured around playoff time especially when he forced his way back into the rotation throwing everyone else off. Lot of respect for his game but availability is the most important ability. Do not miss.

Zeller had some decent rebounding nights but was overall a disappointment.

If we missed out on Hayward that summer I would have been rightfully disappointed but also really intrigued to run KO with this squad. Also think a low-key weakness of ours is playmaking when Horford goes to the bench if Kelly was on the team we could have had 48 minutes of passing at the 5 spot.

Although that being said Baynes/Theis he's probably better than what you would Olynyk. -As if on cue Kelly did drop 22 and 11 tonight-

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I remember those Kevin Love rumors too. I really wanted to see him in green, paired with Rondo. Unfortunately it never happened but I think we made out just fine in the long run.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Remember those days when those three primarily made up our front court? UGH.

They had some moments (especially Olynyk with that Game 7 against Washington), and certainly some meme-worthy moments, but it was infuriating how soft they all were and how other teams' 4th or 5th bigs would freakin' dominate us in games. Jordan Mickey had some potential but never reached it with us (also barely earned playing time). Amir Johnson was okay for one season I guess.

Nice guys in real life I'm sure, but I'm so glad Danny has learned a bit and added a bit more size and toughness to this team over the years (in the form of taller wings like Tatum + Brown, adding Horford, Baynes, Morris, Theis, Timelord, etc.)

I still think it was a mistake for Danny not to target a PF/C in the buyout market (someone like Kanter or Faried) and feel that over the summer, Danny needs to add another free agent depth big to this front court (maybe using the MLE). I also acknowledge that even now our front court isn't 100% perfect, sometimes giving up offensive rebounds late in games and/or not grabbing every single board in crunch time.

But be thankful that this is our front court and not what we had back in the 2013-2016 years. Imagine them going up against the likes of Embiid, Giannis, etc today. OOF.

And Baynes is EXACTLY the kind of bruiser we've been longing years for. Love his toughness and great defense, and think he's going to be really important again in our upcoming playoff run. We've seen what a difference it makes for our team when he's not playing. And of course, Horford is the engine that drives this team and his versatility is so valuable.

Did I really need to be reminded of those 3 useless knuckleheads? Lol, jk. Good point though. I never liked any of them and despised Olynyk. There were a decent amount of Celts fans that were so enamored with him and I never understood why.

He literally looked clueless every time he was on the court.

So glad he's gone.

Ditto with Sully and Zeller.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I think he'd be an ass. Not sure about being an asset.

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

They had some moments (especially Olynyk with that Game 7 against Washington), and certainly some meme-worthy moments, but it was infuriating how soft they all were and how other teams' 4th or 5th bigs would freakin' dominate us in games. Jordan Mickey had some potential but never reached it with us (also barely earned playing time). Amir Johnson was okay for one season I guess.

Nice guys in real life I'm sure, but I'm so glad Danny has learned a bit and added a bit more size and toughness to this team over the years (in the form of taller wings like Tatum + Brown, adding Horford, Baynes, Morris, Theis, Timelord, etc.)

I still think it was a mistake for Danny not to target a PF/C in the buyout market (someone like Kanter or Faried) and feel that over the summer, Danny needs to add another free agent depth big to this front court (maybe using the MLE). I also acknowledge that even now our front court isn't 100% perfect, sometimes giving up offensive rebounds late in games and/or not grabbing every single board in crunch time.

But be thankful that this is our front court and not what we had back in the 2013-2016 years. Imagine them going up against the likes of Embiid, Giannis, etc today. OOF.

And Baynes is EXACTLY the kind of bruiser we've been longing years for. Love his toughness and great defense, and think he's going to be really important again in our upcoming playoff run. We've seen what a difference it makes for our team when he's not playing. And of course, Horford is the engine that drives this team and his versatility is so valuable.

Did I really need to be reminded of those 3 useless knuckleheads? Lol, jk. Good point though. I never liked any of them and despised Olynyk. There were a decent amount of Celts fans that were so enamored with him and I never understood why.

So glad he's gone.

I felt the same way about Olynyk.  He was tentative and clueless on the court.  I can't understand how he got a $50mm contract.  Unfortunately, the thing that really bothers me is that we traded up in that draft to get him and passed on Atenokoumpo.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
zeller and Olly were SOFT brother , as soft as i recall.

7 ft  Centers afraid play the paint , play interior d and  to rebound = worthless

might be better with three IT4's than those clowns
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 03:06:53 PM by SHAQATTACK »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

So glad he's gone.

I felt the same way about Olynyk.  He was tentative and clueless on the court.  I can't understand how he got a $50mm contract.  Unfortunately, the thing that really bothers me is that we traded up in that draft to get him and passed on Atenokoumpo.

Please don't remind me.  A huge screw-up by Ainge and his scouting department. Imagine if we had Giannis right now. I don't even want to think about it.

Funny thing is if Ainge can't land another superstar in the next couple seasons, watch him try to go after Giannis in free agency, when he simply could've drafted him in the first place.

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday

So glad he's gone.

Please don't remind me.  A huge screw-up by Ainge and his scouting department. Imagine if we had Giannis right now. I don't even want to think about it.

Funny thing is if Ainge can't land another superstar in the next couple seasons, watch him try to go after Giannis in free agency, when he simply could've drafted him in the first place.

If we had Giannis, I am not certain that we would have Brown or Tatum, so you can take a little solace in that...

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

So glad he's gone.

agree ,  but to see why DA took Kelly over Giannis you need to go WAY back and see the video of a young like 17-18 year old in Greece . I saw it on nba tv about week ago.  Holy cow he looked sooooooo green , raw , literally under nourished ....like border line starving .  He was a twig ....big as one of Shaq s legs .    Compare them body wise in the summer league era and first year .  Kelly looked miles ahead physically ( but soft mentally) .  I would have selected KO too. GA got some protein and three years to develope muscle mass ,  yeah he looks [dang] near completely different today.  Point is ....who would have guessed that starving kid would grow into the worlds best athlete in the NBA . 

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday

So glad he's gone.

agree ,  but to see why DA took Kelly over Giannis you need to go WAY back and see the video of a young like 17-18 year old in Greece . I saw it on nba tv about week ago.  Holy cow he looked sooooooo green , raw , literally under nourished ....like border line starving .  He was a twig ....big as one of Shaq s legs .    Compare them body wise in the summer league era and first year .  Kelly looked miles ahead physically ( but soft mentally) .  I would have selected KO too. GA got some protein and three years to develope muscle mass ,  yeah he looks [dang] near completely different today.  Point is ....who would have guessed that starving kid would grow into the worlds best athlete in the NBA .

What's amazing is that the 2013 draft was supposed to be terrible, but a good number serviceable players came out of it, many of whom were drafted after Olynyk.  I didn't realize that Gobert was also in that draft.