Author Topic: Jackie Mac on Hayward  (Read 9884 times)

Re: Jackie Mac on Hayward
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2019, 08:08:34 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

My definition of the term  is completely correct. And the report states it was his back that was atrophied. No reason for that at all. a broken foot will not effect working on your back.

You're wrong.

lol

Yeah, it's that simple.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2019, 09:34:45 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

My definition of the term  is completely correct. And the report states it was his back that was atrophied. No reason for that at all. a broken foot will not effect working on your back.

You're wrong.

He's not though.  Hayward has been weight bearing since the middle of last season.  Nothing was stopping him from working on his core or doing trunk extensions.

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2019, 09:55:20 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

You're wrong.

He's not though.  Hayward has been weight bearing since the middle of last season.  Nothing was stopping him from working on his core or doing trunk extensions.

Core exercises and trunk extensions are not even close to the same thing as playing full-court, full-contact basketball... let alone professional basketball game after game for months. I’ve always noticed the my back is the most sore after I go for awhile without playing full-court hoops. But I run year-round and work on all muscle groups at the gym. Functional, specific strength isn’t something you can isolate well in the gym. Not to mention your foot is part of the kinetic chain and everything affects everything else. Etc.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2019, 10:12:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

You're wrong.

No. He is wrong. And so are you
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2019, 10:13:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Unless Tatum is traded this summer, I feel both the Celtics and Hayward would be better off going their separate ways.

Having both Hayward and Tatum is redundant and Tatum is the more talented player.

It makes no sense having both guys on the team because both guys are starting caliber small forwards.

Now again, if Tatum is dealt this summer, then Hayward reclaims his starting role.

I disagree with this completely. 1.) Their games are nothing alike. Quite frankly, I don't even know what Jayson's game is. Is he an ISO scorer? Because he's made no progress as a facilitator and he's not really a pure shooter.  2.) A healthy Hayward is a superior player. He's a secondary ballhandler, Swiss-army knife type of offensive player.
Couldn't agree more
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2019, 10:24:55 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Unless Tatum is traded this summer, I feel both the Celtics and Hayward would be better off going their separate ways.

Having both Hayward and Tatum is redundant and Tatum is the more talented player.

It makes no sense having both guys on the team because both guys are starting caliber small forwards.

Now again, if Tatum is dealt this summer, then Hayward reclaims his starting role.

I disagree with this completely. 1.) Their games are nothing alike. Quite frankly, I don't even know what Jayson's game is. Is he an ISO scorer? Because he's made no progress as a facilitator and he's not really a pure shooter.  2.) A healthy Hayward is a superior player. He's a secondary ballhandler, Swiss-army knife type of offensive player.

I didn't say their games are similar. What I am saying is both guys are starting caliber small forwards. So....how many starting small forwards are we going to have on the team? Hayward coming off the bench this season works because he's not playing well. What happens next season when Hayward is going to finally be 100%?

And this sort of goes back to one of the many issues this team may be battling this season and that's this position-less basketball nonsense.

Several of our players are naturals at the same position which is causing redundancy with one player taking minutes from another and the other player(s) left unhappy.

And another problem with so many small forwards is we're left with no center and a giant black hole on our team when it comes to rebounding.

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2019, 10:35:46 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

You're wrong.

Core exercises and trunk extensions are not even close to the same thing as playing full-court, full-contact basketball... let alone professional basketball game after game for months. I’ve always noticed the my back is the most sore after I go for awhile without playing full-court hoops. But I run year-round and work on all muscle groups at the gym. Functional, specific strength isn’t something you can isolate well in the gym. Not to mention your foot is part of the kinetic chain and everything affects everything else. Etc.

Beyond that, any injury will cause you to use different parts of your body than you normally would in order to compensate for whatever you've lost. That puts more strain on things you don't normally use and, in the case of a prolonged injury like that one Hayward had, means you're not going to use muscles you used to.

I also don't understand what this argument is about. Are the Celtics or Hayward lying? Is Jackie Mac lying? I don't get it.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2019, 10:49:11 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I didn't say their games are similar. What I am saying is both guys are starting caliber small forwards. So....how many starting small forwards are we going to have on the team? Hayward coming off the bench this season works because he's not playing well. What happens next season when Hayward is going to finally be 100%?

And this sort of goes back to one of the many issues this team may be battling this season and that's this position-less basketball nonsense.

Several of our players are naturals at the same position which is causing redundancy with one player taking minutes from another and the other player(s) left unhappy.

And another problem with so many small forwards is we're left with no center and a giant black hole on our team when it comes to rebounding.

Talented players can and should coexist. You don't jettison one just because.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2019, 12:04:50 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Im gonna break my self-imposed ban to comment on this.

This article basically confirms what me and others have been saying for months.

1) Hayward wasn't in game shape yet. "His foot was the one injured, it is healed now, he should be back to all-star by now", "it only took me 3 months to recover from my fracture" just some of the things people shoved in my face when I told them that when you do something at the highest level for a very long time and you suddenly stopped doing it for some time, you will have a lot of trouble getting back into condition.

2) Hayward's mental issues and tentativeness has something to do with his teammates, the team's performance and his own performance. I've said it before, the team is playing bad and he cannot do anything to help, there will be doubts creeping in your mind about how your teammates are feeling and the result is you not wanting to step on someone's shoes.

3) Reps are needed for him to succeed. This is why they started him, they wanted him to feel comfortable and establish chemistry with the starting unit. In hindsight, it might have been too early and it backfired. But right now he has to be given minutes and opportunities. That's why I kinda disagree on sending him back to the starting lineup. What he needs is to be given the absolute keys to the 2nd unit to do what he wants. Rozier and Morris needs to have their shots reduced some more and give them to Hayward.

4) He mentioned about PG saying it was 2 years before he got back to playing normal. A lot of fans wanted to trade him for a bag chips because of how he performed this season, while a lot of rational fans here are saying PG wasnt any good when he came back from injury. Guess who is right.

The Celtics need Hayward to be an All-Star for this current Celtics team to be a contender. If he cannot, a trade is needed for another All-Star. That's the reality. But how is that gonna happen? Minutes, Opportunities, Patience and Time. No, Hayward getting opportunity despite playing poorly isn't because of favoritism or because he is a vet and what not (usual hater narrative btw). It is because the organization is supporting him because they need him.

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2019, 12:51:01 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Hayward listened to this blog and proved to everyone he’s still got it!  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2019, 12:56:54 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Gordon will be fine. His teammates showed faith in him tonight, passed him the ball and he responded. He won’t always score 30 points and we shouldn’t expect him to, as long as he is impacting the game.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2019, 01:33:52 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Hayward had the highest plus and minus on the team in Feb.

He also did tonight.

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2019, 02:10:41 AM »

Offline safecracker

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
  • JJ8

You're wrong.

I totally agree. In my early teens, I fractured my upper arm bone (humerus) - a very unusual injury. This was before the days of surgery with titanium screws, so I was just wearing a huge supporting foam pillow for ten weeks. When I took it off, my arm was so weak it couldn't even support its own weight! And the tendons were shortened so I couldn't move my arm properly. My back was all messed up too because of the asymmetric load. It took a long time to recover completely. A more recent example is my own son who played basketball on a high level (national second league in my country). Man, their practices were brutal, the intensity and speed was unbelievable (nothing like the YouTube clips you watch where players are jogging around, taking a shot now and then). He hurt his knee and had to rest it for 12 months. It probably took another 8 months to get back to the same level physically. So I fully understand how hard it is to come back to the highest level after a prolonged period of recovery. I also understand that no weight lifting or other exercises can replace high intensity running and jumping in game-like situations.

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2019, 02:10:58 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Apparently, according to NESN, Irving called and apologized to Hayward over that outburst after that Orlando Magic game.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2019, 02:20:08 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

You're wrong.

I totally agree. In my early teens, I fractured my upper arm bone (humerus) - a very unusual injury. This was before the days of surgery with titanium screws, so I was just wearing a huge supporting foam pillow for ten weeks. When I took it off, my arm was so weak it couldn't even support its own weight! And the tendons were shortened so I couldn't move my arm properly. My back was all messed up too because of the asymmetric load. It took a long time to recover completely. A more recent example is my own son who played basketball on a high level (national second league in my country). Man, their practices were brutal, the intensity and speed was unbelievable (nothing like the YouTube clips you watch where players are jogging around, taking a shot now and then). He hurt his knee and had to rest it for 12 months. It probably took another 8 months to get back to the same level physically. So I fully understand how hard it is to come back to the highest level after a prolonged period of recovery. I also understand that no weight lifting or other exercises can replace high intensity running and jumping in game-like situations.

We have a lot of would-be doctors here unfortunately  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D