Author Topic: Seeing The Fanbase Turn On Him, Why Should Kyrie Want To Stay Here?  (Read 6662 times)

Re: Seeing The Fanbase Turn On Him, Why Should Kyrie Want To Stay Here?
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2019, 07:03:22 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Well, the fans have turned on him. His teammates apparently don't like him.  He's said a few bizarre things and has a great habit for opening his mouth when he shouldn't.  Maybe he's just a jerk?  Wouldn't be the first pro athlete who was one.

Do you have any info to back this up or is this more hearsay from Kevin O'Connor, Bill Simmons and Ryan Russillo?
Doesn't look to me like they're too fond of him.  Has any other player come out and publicly backed or supported him or chastised the fans/media for being down on him?
Where's Horford? Where's Smart?  The only people you hear supporting him are management.

Maybe players have better things to do than get in a back and forth with media or fans? That's never going to be a winning proposition regardless of who is right in any case.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2019, 07:07:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Well, the fans have turned on him. His teammates apparently don't like him.  He's said a few bizarre things and has a great habit for opening his mouth when he shouldn't.  Maybe he's just a jerk?  Wouldn't be the first pro athlete who was one.

Do you have any info to back this up or is this more hearsay from Kevin O'Connor, Bill Simmons and Ryan Russillo?
Doesn't look to me like they're too fond of him.  Has any other player come out and publicly backed or supported him or chastised the fans/media for being down on him?
Where's Horford? Where's Smart?  The only people you hear supporting him are management.

Maybe players have better things to do than get in a back and forth with media or fans? That's never going to be a winning proposition regardless of who is right in any case.
Yeah, that's a weird thing to expect of players.

Come out and address all silly rumours!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2019, 07:19:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Officially my favorite internet comment of the day comes from Reddit user /u/blackmanwdaplan who says, "I also think it's ironic that he stated that he plans to re-sign if we'd have him and fans are turning on him."

« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2019, 07:23:46 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Officially my favorite internet comment of the day comes from Reddit user /u/blackmanwdaplan who says, "I also think it's ironic that he stated that he plans to re-sign if we'd have him and fans are turning on him."

Which is an embarrassing reflection of a part of the Boston fandom, IMO.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2019, 08:15:01 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

Lol yeah I pretty much said that in this whole post too. Kyrie said that and yet now you have some fans screaming, "go to New York, Kyrie"  :P  ::)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2019, 08:20:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think it’s a small part, mostly found on blogs and talk radio.  Idiots love hearing themselves talk, and certain formats are conducive to that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2019, 08:41:22 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Yup, some (not all) but some Boston fans are the worst!

« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2019, 09:07:15 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Yeah, that's a weird thing to expect of players.

Come out and address all silly rumours!

I think in today's social media age fans are closer to players/celebs/public figures than ever before, they feel integrated with them and sometimes they feel players should respond to everything a fan or the media brings up. 30 years ago could you imagine guys like Bird or Parish being asked to comment on everything the fans or the (print) media said?

There's that thing they say about not dignifying certain things with a response. In today's social media age the lack of response becomes a topic and controversy in itself, to be talked about and dissected.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2019, 08:41:25 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

Would it matter? When management supports him the claim is, "oh they are just justifying the trade and of course they'd say that!". If Horford came out and defended him, folks would say "oh Horford is just easing tensions and sticking up for a teammate despite Kyrie's attitude".

Lets face it, most C's fans either like Kyrie or hate him. There aren't many in-between it seems. When Kyrie says less or says almost nothing in the media that could cause more drama, he still gets chastised for it. At this point, I don't blame Kyrie if he occasionally gets sick of it all too, hence not being specific/clear with his answers. Most NBA players are actually like that too (being vague with answers and leaving things open for debate).

Count me as someone who is in-between.  Kyrie handled himself very well for the most part until the Orlando game.  Even after that I never criticized his effort of willingness to play within the team framework.  Unfortunately we are reaching the point where his body language and attitude is effecting the team on the court.  The media stuff is frustrating because we are witnessing the implosion of a player who made a concerted effort to adapt to our system.  He's clearly full of self doubt in regards to leadership, and the pressure is causing him to resort to the stuff he pulled in Cleveland. 

I've been patient with the growing pains because I believed Kyrie would put the pieces together eventually.  We've reached the point where he needs to take accountability behind closed doors, in front of his teammates, and it needs to not be broadcast to the media immediately afterward.

Yep I agree with all this. I lean a lot more towards liking Kyrie but am also a little in-between. I still think this team deserves to show what it does in the final few weeks and April before we judge them overall. Now if the C's were likely missing the playoffs, it'd be a different story, but they're all but guaranteed to go to the playoffs as a 5 seed, with 3 or 4 seed still possible.

Yes, last year's playoff run was in a bit of a weaker East and maybe we did overachieve a bit, but I remember many thinking we'd lose to MIL in 6, or even if we got by them that the talented PHI squad would dispatch us in 5. Barely anyone expected us to make the ECF. Maybe they can pull off something this year too when we least expect it.

And if they do, are we really thinking about all the drama that happened in-season or our putrid 5-6 game stretch after the ASB? Probably not. Again, it's not likely (odds are against it), but still possible they make the ECF despite everything.

Last night is exactly why we are in-betweeners lol.  We've seen Irving do the right things for long stretches.  I refuse to ignore the fact that he came to this team with the intention to play the right way, He also backed it up for the most part until recently.  It was nice to see him admit that he was at odds with everyone.  Kyrie's main issue has always been his temperament in the face of adversity. 

I'm not getting my hopes up too much, but hopefully he can ignore the noise and lean on his teammates during tough stretches.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 08:49:59 AM by Green-18 »

« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2019, 08:48:56 AM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27

I think it’s a small part, mostly found on blogs and talk radio.  Idiots love hearing themselves talk, and certain formats are conducive to that.

The internet, where everyone can speak equally loudly - just look at me.

« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2019, 09:14:45 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
what percentage of fans?
 10-30 percent range...
it is apsurd to even think about letting someone like him go now that he is here. no one can tell the future, maybe he will lead us to a chip, maybe he will blow his knees up, D-Rose style. But a generational talent, at the age of 26 doesn't come very often.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2019, 09:33:42 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
what percentage of fans?
 10-30 percent range...
it is apsurd to even think about letting someone like him go now that he is here. no one can tell the future, maybe he will lead us to a chip, maybe he will blow his knees up, D-Rose style. But a generational talent, at the age of 26 doesn't come very often.

If 30% of fans want him to walk, then the Celtics might have the dumbest fanbase in the league.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2019, 10:11:59 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
what percentage of fans?
 10-30 percent range...

If 30% of fans want him to walk, then the Celtics might have the dumbest fanbase in the league.
Its basically the same as with KD and warriors fans.

The VAST majority want him to stay, but there is a vocal segment on twitter and some podcasts that are resigned to it and another segment that posts outrageous stuff for clicks/listens.

Celtics have Simmons and fans like that too.

« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2019, 10:26:52 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
what percentage of fans?
 10-30 percent range...

Its basically the same as with KD and warriors fans.

The VAST majority want him to stay, but there is a vocal segment on twitter and some podcasts that are resigned to it and another segment that posts outrageous stuff for clicks/listens.

Celtics have Simmons and fans like that too.

The only difference with Golden State is that I understand if some fans want to see them win it again with the original trio of Steph, Klay, and Draymond.  Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the fans have enjoyed being spoiled for the past three seasons.  That said, there must be a small group of die hard fans who want to see them win again when they aren't head and shoulders above everyone else.

« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2019, 10:57:35 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
what percentage of fans?
 10-30 percent range...

This is a tedious and arrogant attitude to express on a blog, which is a place to discuss opinions. It is especially off putting for a moderator.

It should be enough to argue your position without declaring anyone who disagrees with you to be dumb.

Whether Kyrie is ultimately good for the Celtics franchise on net has yet to be seen, and the evidence so far is clearly mixed. There is a perfectly rational argument for letting him go, if you think he lacks the emotional makeup to handle his role in an organization that is in championship or bust mode. It is a subjective judgement. Neither side where you might land on this is dumb.