Author Topic: Seeing The Fanbase Turn On Him, Why Should Kyrie Want To Stay Here?  (Read 6667 times)

Re: Seeing The Fanbase Turn On Him, Why Should Kyrie Want To Stay Here?
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2019, 08:08:08 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Irving talks to the media too much. He should shut up, and take a few lessons from Belichick. It's a losing proposition.
There's a powerful NY element in the sports media that wants him with the Knicks.

Ainge  has damaged the team by doing nothing in the 2nd half, especially with Baynes out. He could have signed either Gasol brothers and now, even Boguts. There is that spectre of Stevens not wanting bigs  that may be limiting this team.

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2019, 08:21:47 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I posit that if Kyrie had never said a single word regarding free agency -- including that initial statement before the season started about wanting to stay -- that the fan base would not be reacting this way.  I also think the locker room would be at least a bit better, the team would be a bit more consistent, and Kyrie wouldn't be getting nearly as much media attention.

So if Kyrie never said he wanted to stay, no one would care about him staying?

*Facepalm*
I can't say what I really want to say without a ban, so let me exit this thread stage left...

That's not at all what I said.

If Kyrie had stated, all along: "I am not going to talk about my free agency until I am a free agent," or something like that, and just left it at that, we wouldn't have all this anxiety.

You mean like Kevin Durant??

That hasn't sat "exactly right" in Golden State. If Kyrie did the same thing with the circus in Boston, things would be the same.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2019, 08:30:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Tbf, we Celticsstrong posters and hecklers are a vast minority of Celtics fans, but I 100% agree with your points. It's easier to fix something that's broken than it is to completely start over hoping it turns out better.

Yep. And there's no denying that if we lose Kyrie, we get worse next year unless you think Rozier can get way better or we draft a legit PG. Don't think we can realistically sign another due to cap restraints.

That's not to say we're doomed long term without Kyrie, but we'll certainly have to get a bit creative and probably re-tool a bit again.

And then the same people who are knocking him will be wishing we had a talent of his caliber.

Not all talent is created equal.  Russ Westbrook is a talent of Kyrie's caliber, at least, arguably greater.

I would not want Westbrook on any team I follow closely.

Then you haven't been paying attention to Westbrook this year, and I am not talking about the stats. He's sharing the ball alot more and getting his teammates much more engaged than in year's past, however he's still just as aggressive and competitive.

That sounds like a guy I'd want on my team.

I just don't really care for his game, to be honest.  He's the 3rd most valuable player on that team, for my money.  Just because he's talented doesn't mean his impact on his team's success is commensurate with that talent.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2019, 08:31:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I posit that if Kyrie had never said a single word regarding free agency -- including that initial statement before the season started about wanting to stay -- that the fan base would not be reacting this way.  I also think the locker room would be at least a bit better, the team would be a bit more consistent, and Kyrie wouldn't be getting nearly as much media attention.

So if Kyrie never said he wanted to stay, no one would care about him staying?

*Facepalm*
I can't say what I really want to say without a ban, so let me exit this thread stage left...

That's not at all what I said.

If Kyrie had stated, all along: "I am not going to talk about my free agency until I am a free agent," or something like that, and just left it at that, we wouldn't have all this anxiety.

You mean like Kevin Durant??

That hasn't sat "exactly right" in Golden State. If Kyrie did the same thing with the circus in Boston, things would be the same.

I don't think it's exactly true that Kevin Durant has said nothing.  Certainly he's said less than Kyrie, and I do think it has helped Golden State avoid a lot of the circus.

I haven't heard much at all about whether Durant plans to stay there.  I hear people speculating that he'll go to New York, trying to figure out what he really wants.  But they don't have quotes directly from him to spin into yarns about his true intentions.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2019, 09:10:36 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
Irving talks to the media too much. He should shut up, and take a few lessons from Belichick. It's a losing proposition.
There's a powerful NY element in the sports media that wants him with the Knicks.

Ainge  has damaged the team by doing nothing in the 2nd half, especially with Baynes out. He could have signed either Gasol brothers and now, even Boguts. There is that spectre of Stevens not wanting bigs  that may be limiting this team.

Yeah we should have signed someone like Kanter or Faried. If we're barely playing Timelord anyways then where's the "minutes issues"?? Also Baynes missed some time and an injury to any of our bigs yet again would complicate things.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2019, 09:22:31 PM »

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73
As awful and irrational the Boston sports media often is, it isn't like New York is exactly the market to move to if you can't handle heat from the media and fans.

The same kind of stuff he has to put up with here would follow him to New York, Philly, or LA.  Just need to ignore the noise and win the game

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2019, 09:30:38 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
He cannot or has not chosen to.... he likes drama. Most of what happens is because he brings it on himself. They guy is a taciturn character that wants so much to be the life of the party.

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2019, 09:34:53 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Well, the fans have turned on him. His teammates apparently don't like him.  He's said a few bizarre things and has a great habit for opening his mouth when he shouldn't.  Maybe he's just a jerk?  Wouldn't be the first pro athlete who was one.

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2019, 09:45:19 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

You know what, he's tried that a few times. He didn't talk much after the Blazers loss, didn't talk after the Wizards loss, didn't talk after the Houston loss...guess what the media and fan reaction was? "He's sulking", "he can't handle the pressure", "he said he wanted to be the leader but he's hiding when he should be out front explaining things" etc etc. Then he starts talking and gets criticized for talking too much  ;D

The bottom line: Kyrie polarizes people probably as much as our president does. To his supporters he can do no wrong, even when he does wrong. To his haters, he can't do anything right, even when he does. He's polarized fans to such an extent that supporters have so much emotional energy invested in him that they can't admit when he makes mistakes. And his haters can't bear to praise anything he does even when he does good things, because their entire belief system is predicated around hating him. So anything he does will be interpreted according to the person's views.

Then there are those few (or less vocal anyway) who try to look at things with an impartial lens - criticize when warranted, praise when warranted. But there doesn't seem to be that many of those folks when it comes to Kyrie. He's just a polarizing guy.

I really don't think he cares what the fans think of him, he knows he won't please everyone, especially his detractors. He could win a championship and their views of him won't change. Why bother trying to change them?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2019, 09:49:01 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Well, the fans have turned on him. His teammates apparently don't like him. He's said a few bizarre things and has a great habit for opening his mouth when he shouldn't.  Maybe he's just a jerk?  Wouldn't be the first pro athlete who was one.
What has indicated this? The only actually reported teammate who Kyrie doesn't get along with is Dion Waiters.

The guy is one of the most popular players in the league, both with current players and past ones.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2019, 09:52:08 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Well, the fans have turned on him. His teammates apparently don't like him. He's said a few bizarre things and has a great habit for opening his mouth when he shouldn't.  Maybe he's just a jerk?  Wouldn't be the first pro athlete who was one.
What has indicated this? The only actually reported teammate who Kyrie doesn't get along with is Dion Waiters.

The guy is one of the most popular players in the league, both with current players and past ones.
[/b]

when was the poll taken on most popular guy in the NBA?

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2019, 09:57:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

[/b]

when was the poll taken on most popular guy in the NBA?
You can pretty easily observe it from the numerous friends he has. Seeing him interact with everyone in a very friendly manner at the ASG. Didn't know popularity needed to be quantified to be obviously observable.

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2019, 10:11:31 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

That's not the vibe you get from media guys who have Boston connections and have sources close to the team - and also just from watching how they've played basketball for a good part of the season.  Kevin O'Connor wrote just today that they only teammate he's actually friends with is Tatum.  Simmons and Russillo today in their podcast said that if Kyrie does leave town - a lot of stuff that the beat writers have been holding back will trickle out - none of it complimentary to the guy.

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2019, 10:12:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

That's not the vibe you get from media guys who have Boston connections and have sources close to the team - and also just from watching how they've played basketball for a good part of the season.  Kevin O'Connor wrote just today that they only teammate he's actually friends with is Tatum.  Simmons and Russillo today in their podcast said that if Kyrie does leave town - a lot of stuff that the beat writers have been holding back will trickle out - none of it complimentary to the guy.
Wonder what angle gets more clicks

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2019, 10:15:27 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Right....because everyone in the media always tells the truth!! They would never embellish or lie so we should just believe them like sheep. Smart.